Problems with purchasing a gun at Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Today I went to purchase a rifle at Academy sporting goods. Seems simple enough. Well I was told that I couldn't purchase a gun from them. It seems that my driver's license has my middle initial on it instead of my full middle name. This has never been a problem with past purchases anywhere. The people in the gun department at Academy tell me that there is a new rule in place by the feds. They informed me that they cannot sell a gun to someone who's ID doesn't match the gun purchase form. They went on to explain that since the middle initial stands for my middle name and that middle name would be listed on the purchase form it doesn't match my driver's license which only has my initial. I was told that I must have an ID that shows my middle name spelled out.
    Have any of you ever heard of such a thing?

And get this, they told me that I can simply go and fill out the paperwork for a hunting license there at academy and list my middle name instead of my middle initial and that would suffice as proof that I am who I say I am.

The manager on duty at Academy on Airline Highway told me that this was just another way that the feds are trying to tighten up the records on who is out there purchasing firearms.
    Surely I must be on Candid Camera.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have always had issues with academy till I Renewed my chp.... simple now... in and out everywhere ... in fact I used to make my wife fill out my paper work, in LA a spouse can purches firearms as a gift.... but only problem with that was she knew every time I bought a new gun lol

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The people at Academy didn't even care that I had a CHP. Said that it was just as useless since it has my middle initial and not my full middle name on it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did they say how new the requirement was? My DL has my middle initial and I bought a shotgun from them 6 months ago.

I wonder if this is a way to push people towards getting a Real ID. I believe Real ID compliant ID's have the middle name spelled out.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    No abbreviations and no initials has always been the rule on the ATF form (although now it seems you can abbreviate the state of your birth).
    I would expect nothing less from any retailer.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No abbreviations and no initials has always been the rule on the ATF form (although now it seems you can abbreviate the state of your birth).
    I would expect nothing less from any retailer.

I believe the issues what is considered a match? If the form says John Ralph Doe and the DL say John R Doe but every other piece of information is the same, is that a match or not? It was a match 6 months ago at Academy and 3 weeks ago at a local dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I believe the issues what is considered a match? If the form says John Ralph Doe and the DL say John R Doe but every other piece of information is the same, is that a match or not? It was a match 6 months ago at Academy and 3 weeks ago at a local dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    correct, I understood what their issue was, and the fact that you can’t just use your initial on the ATF form is why you can’t make it match.
    It should be a lesson to some. I know a guy who somehow used a shortened version of his name after he started college. After 4 years of college he was due to graduate and learned that having filled out all his documents from start to finish with the shortened name he was not going to be able to graduate. He had to legally change his name in order to receive credit and graduate. I know the details well because the guy is my younger brother.
    Having a very common first and last name, I found it a must to give my full name for anything of importance. Any sort of licensure, legal documents, accounts... I may sign some things totally omitting my middle name and initial, but I’ve never understood why anyone would use a middle initial for anything of importance.

Have you ever noticed how the news and other media sources will do often refer to high profile killers by their full name? Wonder why that is...

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Did they say how new the requirement was? My DL has my middle initial and I bought a shotgun from them 6 months ago.

I wonder if this is a way to push people towards getting a Real ID. I believe Real ID compliant ID's have the middle name spelled out.

I am waiting to get a real ID until I have to. The cost of License, MotorCycle Endorsement, and Chauffeur are on it too. Do I want to keep them both just in case. How much is it to add a real ID?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I run 4473 forms on a daily basis and thats a crock of **** what they told you. There are a million people with only their middle initial on their DL.

Now what I do ask is if they put their middle initial on the form if that is in fact their full middle name. If it isnt then I have them write it out.

Surprisingly I have had about a half a dozen or so customers since 2011 that have a single or 2 letters as a legal middle name.

Buy local if you can. You wont have to worry about nearly as much BS.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    1. Buy online
    2. Use local FFL (mine charges $20)
    3. Use CHP (no call to NICS)
    4. Profit

This is what I do for all new guns. Except sales atg Cabelas. They were never trouble. Last new one I got there was door buster sale on ,1022 brakedown. But I am a sucker for the used gun case there. The old man used to call me when he saw a,few he knew I needed. All my gun broker sales went fine sending payment for them credit card. Once a pistol was sent USPS and took 14 days from Washington State. And then 4 days from the Park Manor USPS location to Jefferson Gun. 18 days but that s USPS. Was great gun at half of what they sell for and looked only test fired.

gescha

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I run 4473 forms on a daily basis and thats a crock of **** what they told you. There are a million people with only their middle initial on their DL.

Now what I do ask is if they put their middle initial on the form if that is in fact their full middle name. If it isnt then I have them write it out.

Surprisingly I have had about a half a dozen or so customers since 2011 that have a single or 2 letters as a legal middle name.

Buy local if you can. You wont have to worry about nearly as much BS.

I agree with you that this is a bunch of BS. But yesterday Academy near Cortana Mall in Baton Rouge would not let me purchase a rifle since my driver's license only has my middle initial on it.
    You would think that by putting your social security number on the form that would clear up any discrepancies but Academy says no you have to go and get an ID with your middle name on it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    correct, I understood what their issue was, and the fact that you can’t just use your initial on the ATF form is why you can’t make it match.
    It should be a lesson to some. I know a guy who somehow used a shortened version of his name after he started college. After 4 years of college he was due to graduate and learned that having filled out all his documents from start to finish with the shortened name he was not going to be able to graduate. He had to legally change his name in order to receive credit and graduate. I know the details well because the guy is my younger brother.
    Having a very common first and last name, I found it a must to give my full name for anything of importance. Any sort of licensure, legal documents, accounts... I may sign some things totally omitting my middle name and initial, but I’ve never understood why anyone would use a middle initial for anything of importance.

Have you ever noticed how the news and other media sources will do often refer to high profile killers by their full name? Wonder why that is...

Using a different first name is not the same as the state putting the initial of a middle name on a drivers license. And a DL with an initial used to match and still does in some places. In fact, a DL with a middle initial worked in March at that same store on Airline. I bought a shotgun from there. If there's a new rule, as the OP stated, the feds simply changed the definition of what they consider a match.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Sounds like Academy is turning out be be just another dicks. I haven’t seen anything at academy that I couldn’t get at a better price at a local shop or online without the BS. Most people I’ve seen buying handguns at academy are also walking out with a box of Monarch and a uncle mikes holster. I heard a man tell his wife that the critical defense ammo is what all the swat teams uses. I do like to stroll around that department just to listen to what people have to say while the wife and kids are buying overpriced shoes.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Academy's unwritten policy is to keep you in there longer to buy more stuff!!! Last time I bought a shotgun in there I told them after 30 minutes they were slower than my Grandmaw and she's dead and I needed a bench to sleep on or a hammock in front of the gun dept.!

If you rag and insult them enough and bitch as a rule then you can expect faster service.

swanem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2018
    Destrehan
    2. Use local FFL (mine charges $20)
    3. Use CHP (no call to NICS)

My local FFL actually got audited and a warning. If your CHP is lifetime and does not have an expiration date, you can't use it.

Plus, most big box stores don't accept the CHP because they have enrolled in the digital system. Walmart usually has an answer back before my paperwork is done printing.

I also put 5'9 on my application and my license says 5'10. No issues.

E

Last edited:

snake doctor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOLA
    How far out are you from needing to renew your driver's license? Might be worth it to go ahead and get a new one at the DMV with the middle name on it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Using a different first name is not the same as the state putting the initial of a middle name on a drivers license. And a DL with an initial used to match and still does in some places. In fact, a DL with a middle initial worked in March at that same store on Airline. I bought a shotgun from there. If there's a new rule, as the OP stated, the feds simply changed the definition of what they consider a match.
    Jeezers... we just don’t follow
    each other I guess... lemme try another route.
    Yes it’s not the same but only because one example is the first name and the other is the middle name. Try to see past that and follow along... the problem they have is can they ID the buyer beyond any said doubt. If the info doesn’t all line up exactly like the ID then no, they can’t ID beyond all doubt and they refuse the sale. Frankly, I’m surprised they’ve taken this long to go this route. Does it bother me? It might if I was turned down because my DL only had my middle initial on it, but that would be my fault. Why? Because the state puts the information you give them on your DL. If you give them a first, middle and last NAME, that’s what they put on your license. No initials other than what you give. When you apply for your license, you give them articles of ID with your name. The DMV use to require 2 forms of ID if you had to replace your DL, such as birth certificate, SS card, marriage license...they may still, but they don’t replace anybody’s middle name with an initial.

When I applied for my first DL at the age of 15 I gave my full name. I believe I had to present my birth certificate. The state never replaced my middle name with an initial. I don’t believe the state replaces anyone’s middle name with an initial.
    I am not surprised in the least that Academy is denying the transfer. I’ve seen them refuse when the address on the license doesn’t match. Many people move, change address, likely still living in the same city, but how many of them will immediately run to DMV and get that fixed on the DL? Not too many.
    An initial may be the correct initial and may correspond with the middle name but it’s not the middle name.
    Johnny J Jones’ middle name might be jack or joe or jerkoff for all they know. I’m sure there’s a reason some people only use their middle initial when applying for something important or giving information and some that likely omit the middle name altogether. I’m just not sure there’s a practical reason for doing so and I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I logged into nics...check out the screen shot and what it says under the middle name section.

37X4JeU.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom