Up and running !!Looking for the mechanical minded for advice for fixing my 4 wheeler

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Greetings to all the good folks out there. I have a Yamaha 2009 Grizzly 400 with low hours that won’t run. It’s never done this before. You turn the key on and the engine just turns over like it’s out of gas or not getting any spark. I checked the fuel line to the engine (I think it has a carberator and not fuel injected . ) and the gas is getting there. I then pulled the plug and checked to see if it sparks and it is plenty sparky. Is there some electrical issue that is not letting the gas get to the cylinder. I’m just trying to check everything until i break down and take it to a shop to fix.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    First, did you do anything to the vehicle just prior to it stopping? I'll third the air filter thing since it is easiest. Not familiar with the engine itself but it does sound like a carburetor issue. Pull the carb and spray some quick start or carb cleaner into the intake. If it starts then the issue is isolated to the carb; at least 100% of the time with me on small engines. Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to buy a new or re-built carb. Sometimes it is cheaper to rebuild the carb. If you rebuild take a picture of all the linkages and read the instructions 2 or 3 times. Good luck.

Rebel500

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Northshore La
    Your float could be stuck. Lift the front end up and drop it a few times. That may knock it lose. I don't think it's your carb unless you got a piece of crap in one of your jets. If that's the case you will only have to take the float bowl off to get to the jets. While you have it off make sure your floats are moving ok.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Make sure the kill switch didn't get bumoed to the off position. Once you're sure it's on pull it over slow or use a compression Guage and ensure it has compression. If that's OK,check for spark. If it has spark, take the filter off, and shoot a little spray choke in there and it should start. If it does then dies, youve got fuel issue.

Engines are simple machines. You need air (compression), fuel and fire. If you have all three, and the timing is right (rare issue with 4 wheelers but it happens), it will run. Check the above, and post here what happens and we'll go from there.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Oops. Just saw you have spark.

OK. Check compression and shoot some spray choke in it and see if it starts. But Def sounds like probably something in the carb. We could talk all day about what it could be, but easier, once proven, to just start at the tank and check and clean everything.

As someone mentioned, I guess it could be a seriously plugged air filter but id hope you already checked that.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    If you let it sit up with ethanol gas in it and haven't run it in a long time, the fuel could have evaporated and left a film of residue all inside the carb clogging jets and float. Check utube for how to take the carb off and clean inside real well. My honda will do this if I forget to turn the gas off and let it sit with the ethanol "corn" gas in it. After you get it cleaned out and running, only put non ethanol gas in it. Use non chlorinated carb cleaner and take it apart and hose out all the little orifices including the needle valve under the float. You should see carb cleaner going into a hole and coming out another. I have yet to have to put a carb kit in mine.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If as you say it's getting fuel and fire , then it should run . Check the compression . Try the starting fluid routine like suggested .

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’m intimately familiar with those bikes.... 99% chance that it’s the carb. If it sat for longer than 2 weeks with some bad ethanol gas, your going to have to pull the carb and clean it. I’ve done at least a dozen of them in the last few years for friends and fellow co workers.

If your not mechanically inclined, and don’t want to drop $300 for the stealership to do it, PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    agree with others that the carburetor / jets are likely in need of a cleaning.
    You likely have a white powdery build up inside the bowl and in the jets that would give you the issue you are having.
    Its not a hard job to remove the carburetor / remove the bowl, then clean the bowl, float and remove the jets to ensure they are clean as well.
    Good cleaner to shoot through the small ports ensuring they are clear before assembling everything and you should be good to go.

Start running regular fuel or treat well with a fuel stabilizer that treats for ethanol.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    FYI my camper was at the dealer ship for 2 1/2 months. I run my generator every month. Onan started surging, carb gummed up. Drained the bowl, took the fuel line off and sprayed a bunch of Sea Foam in it. Let it sit overnight, drain the Sea Foam out, fired it up and ran perfect. This is the second time I do this, first was the riding mower. Maybe try the Sea Foam trick, it might work?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I got it running. Took a little advice from all the above and got to work. Cleaned the carb while still on the bike and tapped on the bowl and she fired right up. Must of been a stuck float.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I got it running. Took a little advice from all the above and got to work. Cleaned the carb while still on the bike and tapped on the bowl and she fired right up. Must of been a stuck float.
    Go ahead and add a healthy dose of Sefoam to the gas to continue the cleaning process .

Top Bottom