2019 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Totally confused. Been doing intervals of 5 minutes at a 5mph pace and they are not getting any easier. I am still gutting out the last interval and I have been doing it for almost a month now. Not sure what the deal is but may be because I am still carrying a bunch of weight and need to diet to lose some poundage for it to get better. Need to buckle down and lose some pounds soon but the muscle mass is starting to come in so I am happy about that.

Did some heavy yardwork this weekend broke up a concrete slab that was about a yard of concrete anywhere from 2 to 7 inches thick. Used a demo hammer from HF and man it still took 8 hours to break up that slab. Got in a a good leg and arm work out squating over that slab using the demo hammer and holding it for 8 hours. Major suckage my hands still hurt from the vibrations.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Totally confused. Been doing intervals of 5 minutes at a 5mph pace and they are not getting any easier. I am still gutting out the last interval and I have been doing it for almost a month now. Not sure what the deal is but may be because I am still carrying a bunch of weight and need to diet to lose some poundage for it to get better. Need to buckle down and lose some pounds soon but the muscle mass is starting to come in so I am happy about that.

Did some heavy yardwork this weekend broke up a concrete slab that was about a yard of concrete anywhere from 2 to 7 inches thick. Used a demo hammer from HF and man it still took 8 hours to break up that slab. Got in a a good leg and arm work out squating over that slab using the demo hammer and holding it for 8 hours. Major suckage my hands still hurt from the vibrations.

How much time is between your intervals?

Maybe try doing more a hi-intensity approach and upping the speed, lowering the overall time, and lowering overall rest? You could do that and mix it up with endurance intervals.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I do a 6-minute warmup and then do a 3.3MPH pace for 5 minutes then 5 at 5MPH then back to 3.3MPH for 5 and so on. then at the end about a 6-minute cooldown. I was doing good earlier and the intervals weren't bad it's just I have to gut them out now and am not seeing any improvement even though I have been doing it for a while. I figured I would be doing better by now.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I do a 6-minute warmup and then do a 3.3MPH pace for 5 minutes then 5 at 5MPH then back to 3.3MPH for 5 and so on. then at the end about a 6-minute cooldown. I was doing good earlier and the intervals weren't bad it's just I have to gut them out now and am not seeing any improvement even though I have been doing it for a while. I figured I would be doing better by now.

I am by no means an expert, but I'm going to speculate that your rest is too long.

Here is what you can do to fix it, though. Get a chest HR monitor that syncs to your phone, and while you workout, have your HR visible the entire time in front of you. I have this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INQVYZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Figure out your max heart rate and what HR you should run at, using this article:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/running-heart-rate#ideal-rate

Then, when you are running, workout based on HR zones.

So if I were to be doing 5 minutes on, I would run at 5 minutes in a zone that would keep me at 80 to 85% of my max HR (so about 160 BPM). After 5 minutes, I would rest until my HR was under 60 or 65% of max. Then I would repeat. Eventually your speed will go up as you push yourself into HR zones.

You should also try some high intensity drills that get your HR way up, and then rest until your HR is down in a manageable level.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Hmmmm, I think from using the heart rate monitor on the treadmill that it takes about a minute or two for my heart rate to get back to normal 3MPH rate. I will have to try this out and see what happens.

I was also thinking about it some more and I had stopped taking my creatine supplement because my protein powder had some in it. I am going to start doing the creatine again and see if that makes a difference also.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hmmmm, I think from using the heart rate monitor on the treadmill that it takes about a minute or two for my heart rate to get back to normal 3MPH rate. I will have to try this out and see what happens.

I was also thinking about it some more and I had stopped taking my creatine supplement because my protein powder had some in it. I am going to start doing the creatine again and see if that makes a difference also.

I'd recommend a chest HR monitor vs the one on the treadmill. It will be more accurate and you can record your results for later tracking. Plus, it's tough to run and hold a treadmill.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So I started my eating behavior modification program on Monday. Based on what the scale is saying I have lost almost 6 pounds this week so far. hoping this keeps up for the next few months. I wonder if the muscle I put on over the last 6 months at the gym is helping it burn off faster than it normally would. Just thought I would throw out an update and keep this thread going.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So I started my eating behavior modification program on Monday. Based on what the scale is saying I have lost almost 6 pounds this week so far. hoping this keeps up for the next few months. I wonder if the muscle I put on over the last 6 months at the gym is helping it burn off faster than it normally would. Just thought I would throw out an update and keep this thread going.

More muscle is always better than less muscle! Keep it up man

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Since January 10, 2019 from 273# down to 198# and still going but only for a few more weeks. I am going on a maintenance phase until after the new year.

Using the Renaissance Periodization app for diet.
    Crossfit 4-5x a week
    I also do additional running using the Couch to 5K app. I registered for a 5K in Dec as a personal goal. At 54, I wouldn't really say I run more like plod but I am getting better at it.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Since January 10, 2019 from 273# down to 198# and still going but only for a few more weeks. I am going on a maintenance phase until after the new year.

Crossfit 4-5x a week
    I also do additional running using the Couch to 5K app. I registered for a 5K in Dec as a personal goal. At 54, I wouldn't really say I run more like plod but I am getting better at it.

Very nice sounds like you have exceeded goals for sure. Keep it up you will outrun all the young whippersnappers at the race.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Crossfit 4-5x a week

Wow, that is absolutely awesome!! Keep it up dude!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom