2019 Fitness Goals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Hah, had shoulder surgery and it put me back hard core. Was down to about 269 now back up to 290 due to lack of gym and eating bad on vacation.

Just started back this last weekend. Went to a running store and got a gait analysis. The lady asked me how many miles a week I was doing and she almost passed out when I said like 12 - 15. I am not a small guy but I put about 15 miles on the treadmill a week. So I found out my feet have a one size difference so I have to get size 14 shoes to fit the right foot correctly. I picked up some nice shoes and inserts. Been to the gym 3 times this week and it feels so much better. I can hold a faster pace for longer and when I get off the treadmill no pain.

Just getting back into the lifting and trying to figure out where my limits are in regards to the shoulder some exercises hurt way worse than others. Going slow so I don't screw up the fix but I feel pretty good and hope to get back to where I was at before surgery weight wise. SHoulders have always been a weak spot due to putting off surgery for like 5 years. Also wasing my way back into better eating habits. So things are looking up but not where I would ahve like to been at this point this year.

How are you doing Austin?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hah, had shoulder surgery and it put me back hard core. Was down to about 269 now back up to 290 due to lack of gym and eating bad on vacation.

Just started back this last weekend. Went to a running store and got a gait analysis. The lady asked me how many miles a week I was doing and she almost passed out when I said like 12 - 15. I am not a small guy but I put about 15 miles on the treadmill a week. So I found out my feet have a one size difference so I have to get size 14 shoes to fit the right foot correctly. I picked up some nice shoes and inserts. Been to the gym 3 times this week and it feels so much better. I can hold a faster pace for longer and when I get off the treadmill no pain.

Just getting back into the lifting and trying to figure out where my limits are in regards to the shoulder some exercises hurt way worse than others. Going slow so I don't screw up the fix but I feel pretty good and hope to get back to where I was at before surgery weight wise. SHoulders have always been a weak spot due to putting off surgery for like 5 years. Also wasing my way back into better eating habits. So things are looking up but not where I would ahve like to been at this point this year.

How are you doing Austin?

Sucks to hear about the shoulder surgery, but keep it up and you will rebound quickly!

What are you currently running a mile at on the treadmill?

I just joined Orange Theory recently and have been going five times per week. Cardio has never really been my thing, but I am having a great time and am seeing/feeling noticeable improvements in a very short time period. I've also maintained my weight training on the side and have been feeling freaking awesome!

Also, I started intermittent fasting and typically only eat from noon to 7pm. I'd highly recommend it!

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Sucks to hear about the shoulder surgery, but keep it up and you will rebound quickly!

What are you currently running a mile at on the treadmill?

I just joined Orange Theory recently and have been going five times per week. Cardio has never really been my thing, but I am having a great time and am seeing/feeling noticeable improvements in a very short time period. I've also maintained my weight training on the side and have been feeling freaking awesome!

Also, I started intermittent fasting and typically only eat from noon to 7pm. I'd highly recommend it!
    Austin, what are the prices points for orange theory?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin, what are the prices points for orange theory?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I got a special where I pay 139.99 a month for unlimited. It's normally 159.99 a month for unlimited. There are various packages where you can pay for fewer classes if you don't choose unlimited...but if you can workout 3x a week, unlimited is worth it. I'm trying to go 5x a week with off days on Wednesday/Saturday and with lifting on Monday/Wednesday over lunch.

I did Crossfit for a little over three years and this is a nice switch up as it's a lot more cardio and more of a focus on bodyweight things with TRX straps.

If there is a gym near you, I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got a special where I pay 139.99 a month for unlimited. It's normally 159.99 a month for unlimited. There are various packages where you can pay for fewer classes if you don't choose unlimited...but if you can workout 3x a week, unlimited is worth it. I'm trying to go 5x a week with off days on Wednesday/Saturday and with lifting on Monday/Wednesday over lunch.

I did Crossfit for a little over three years and this is a nice switch up as it's a lot more cardio and more of a focus on bodyweight things with TRX straps.

If there is a gym near you, I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

I made the mistake of calling the new Regymen location opening near my house and now the guy won't stop. Literally blocked three different numbers from him, won't take no for an answer. He's gonna get hit with 13:285 if he tries again.

I can't afford Regymen/OTF/Iron Tribe right now. Speaking of, Iron Tribe is damn near $250/MONTH.

I've been hitting 60-100 miles a week on my bike. Some people are telling me it's too many but it's my outlet and my me time so it's not going anywhere.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So at $250 a month what kind of perks do you get? I pay about $60 a month for a family membership good for 6 people. It includes a pool and the usual assorment of machines and free weights. It's not the best gym in the world but it does what I need so $250 a month sounds crazy to me.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have no idea, unlimited access to classes maybe? I'm joining a local gym not far from my house for when it's too cold to ride/I want a change of pace and it's only $30/month.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So at $250 a month what kind of perks do you get? I pay about $60 a month for a family membership good for 6 people. It includes a pool and the usual assorment of machines and free weights. It's not the best gym in the world but it does what I need so $250 a month sounds crazy to me.

Exclusivity, more space, nicer equipment, etc. It's the same thing with Equinox and other fancy gyms.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just realized that my mile time (over a two mile run) has dropped by over two minutes per mile (4 min total) in the past month! Looking forward to getting back down to two miles in sub-15 min!

Also realized that the Orange Theory gym doesn't have heavy enough weights for me to do many of their exercises for reps and get a good workout :/

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Just started a new routine today. 4-day split. tonight was back and biceps.
    30 minutes on treadmill to warm up got about 200 calories burned.
    Deadlifts 2 sets 5 reps
    1 arm dumbbell row 3 sets 8-12 reps
    lat pull down 3 sets 8-12 reps
    bent over rows 3 sets 8-12 reps
    seated row 5 minutes you do reps for 5 minutes taking breaks when needed
    preacher curl 3 sets 10- 12 reps
    concentration curls 3 sets 10 -12 reps
    seated dumbell curls 5 minutes

I can barely move my arms and back is exhausted. Just drank about 40 grams of proteint shake then off to bed to recuperate. will post up tomorrows sets. Feel really good hoepfully it will help me make some gains and break me out of my rut.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just started a new routine today. 4-day split. tonight was back and biceps.
    30 minutes on treadmill to warm up got about 200 calories burned.
    Deadlifts 2 sets 5 reps
    1 arm dumbbell row 3 sets 8-12 reps
    lat pull down 3 sets 8-12 reps
    bent over rows 3 sets 8-12 reps
    seated row 5 minutes you do reps for 5 minutes taking breaks when needed
    preacher curl 3 sets 10- 12 reps
    concentration curls 3 sets 10 -12 reps
    seated dumbell curls 5 minutes

I can barely move my arms and back is exhausted. Just drank about 40 grams of proteint shake then off to bed to recuperate. will post up tomorrows sets. Feel really good hoepfully it will help me make some gains and break me out of my rut.

Keep it up dude! Diet and consistency are key.

What weights are you using for the deadlifts at the beginning?

Also, try adding some band exercises to your routine. It's a nice change-up from using traditional weights all the time.

Another commonly forgot exercise that I love is Goblet Squats with a kettlebell or a dumbbell. Or if you're traveling you can use a backpack or you carry-on!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Keep it up dude! Diet and consistency are key.

What weights are you using for the deadlifts at the beginning?

Also, try adding some band exercises to your routine. It's a nice change-up from using traditional weights all the time.

Another commonly forgot exercise that I love is Goblet Squats with a kettlebell or a dumbbell. Or if you're traveling you can use a backpack or you carry-on!

I didn't so deadlifts before so I am going slowly trying to find the sweet spot but also being careful of my shoulder as I am about 5 months removed from a labrum tear and biceps tendonisis surgery. I think I did 50lbs on each side of the bar so if the bar is 45 like I always thought I am running at about 145 lbs. I am logging it all in my phone and when I hit the sweet spot I will make sure to log it. I think next week I will try 55 or 60 on each side and see how I feel. The first few weeks will be feeling out my weights to see where I am for these exercises. I was upping the weights on each set until I felt comfortable or ran out of sets.

I did a lot of goblet squats because, with the labrum tear and a torn collarbone tendon on the other side, bar squats hurt too much. I also did some lunges to mix things up.

I am hoping to get some muscle packed on to up my resting caloric burn while also doing some cardio to help it out. This damn desk job doesn't do me any favors though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I didn't so deadlifts before so I am going slowly trying to find the sweet spot but also being careful of my shoulder as I am about 5 months removed from a labrum tear and biceps tendonisis surgery. I think I did 50lbs on each side of the bar so if the bar is 45 like I always thought I am running at about 145 lbs. I am logging it all in my phone and when I hit the sweet spot I will make sure to log it. I think next week I will try 55 or 60 on each side and see how I feel. The first few weeks will be feeling out my weights to see where I am for these exercises. I was upping the weights on each set until I felt comfortable or ran out of sets.

I did a lot of goblet squats because, with the labrum tear and a torn collarbone tendon on the other side, bar squats hurt too much. I also did some lunges to mix things up.

I am hoping to get some muscle packed on to up my resting caloric burn while also doing some cardio to help it out. This damn desk job doesn't do me any favors though.

Smart move. Lots of studies suggest that having (healthy) extra muscle is very good for all of the systems of your body.

Definitely get a quality protein powder (I like GNC Wheybolic) and take it after your workouts. One thing that I have done to really help with recovery and soreness is to take BCAAs during my workouts with my water. I'd say I drink about 25% of it during the first 75% of my workout, and then finish the other 3/4s of the bottle (20oz of water + 1 scoop) during the last part of my workout. This way I am getting BCAAs straight into my system right whenever my body needs them.

I recommend this brand/flavor:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGQZXKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, another thing that I have been doing lately is foam rolling during the day and before/after a workout. Not too sure if it works like people say it does, but a foam roller is cheap and it's basically a quick 5-minute massage a few times a day.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Smart move. Lots of studies suggest that having (healthy) extra muscle is very good for all of the systems of your body.

Definitely get a quality protein powder (I like GNC Wheybolic) and take it after your workouts. One thing that I have done to really help with recovery and soreness is to take BCAAs during my workouts with my water. I'd say I drink about 25% of it during the first 75% of my workout, and then finish the other 3/4s of the bottle (20oz of water + 1 scoop) during the last part of my workout. This way I am getting BCAAs straight into my system right whenever my body needs them.

I recommend this brand/flavor:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGQZXKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, another thing that I have been doing lately is foam rolling during the day and before/after a workout. Not too sure if it works like people say it does, but a foam roller is cheap and it's basically a quick 5-minute massage a few times a day.

I actually use Muscletech protein powders. I take the normal powder in the morning with my oatmeal and then when I get home from the gym usually around 10 pm I drink a casein-based protein powder Muscletech Phase 8 so it digests into my system over 8 hours and is helping me while I sleep. I think the protein drinks have a ton of BCAAs in them but I do have a drink that is supposedly for recovery and has BCAAs in it. Right now I do a pre-workout drink that seems to help get me over the evening blahs and get a good workout.

I haven't tried foam rolling yet but have read good things about it. May need to pick one up for an after workout massage.

I am not sure why everything has creatine in it. I mean even my protein powder has it so I am trying limit what I take that has it so I don't go over the recommended daily dose.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I actually use Muscletech protein powders. I take the normal powder in the morning with my oatmeal and then when I get home from the gym usually around 10 pm I drink a casein-based protein powder Muscletech Phase 8 so it digests into my system over 8 hours and is helping me while I sleep. I think the protein drinks have a ton of BCAAs in them but I do have a drink that is supposedly for recovery and has BCAAs in it. Right now I do a pre-workout drink that seems to help get me over the evening blahs and get a good workout.

I haven't tried foam rolling yet but have read good things about it. May need to pick one up for an after workout massage.

I am not sure why everything has creatine in it. I mean even my protein powder has it so I am trying limit what I take that has it so I don't go over the recommended daily dose.

I used to take a casein protein before bed, but I am doing the whole 'intermittent fasting' thing right now and try not to eat after 7 or 8pm. I might start adding a scoop in with my post-workout, 8pm protein shake, though.

As for creatine, I imagine that you'll just pee extra out. I take about 5g a day of creatine through all of my supplements and don't really seem to have a problem with it.

We picked up a $20 foam roller on Amazon and it works quite well. I might go get a few different strength foams the next time I am at an athletic store. Whenever I did Crossfit, we had foam rollers with little lumps/bumps on them that really dug into your muscles a bit more. I found that those worked very well for big muscles like thighs and lower back.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    So I just looked at tonights workout plan and here it is.....
    Bench 3 sets 6-10 reps
    incline dumbbell press 3 sets 8-12 reps
    chest dip 3 sets as many as possible (going to substitute assisted dips as regular dips put too much strain on my shoulder)
    cable crossover 3 sets 12-15 reps
    machine press 5 min burn
    EZ bar skull crushers 3 sets 8-12 reps
    2 arm dumbbell extension 3 sets 8-12 reps ( I may substitute a version where I do it with a high cable and I mimic the behind the head motion)
    cable tricep extensions 5 min burn

Going to check out the foam rollers and see what I can do. I work out late so the protein shake really helps just sucks it is after 8pm.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Solid, looks like a good workout!

Tonight's workout for me at Orange Theory:
    [FONT=&quot]Rower[/FONT]

• 4 min row for distance
    • Reverse lunges until time is called
    [FONT=&quot]Floor[/FONT]

• 8 x S/A Clean to press (each)
    • 8 x bicycle crunch
    [FONT=&quot]Tread[/FONT]

• 90 second push
    • 1 min base
    • 1 min push
    • 1 min base
    • 30 second push
    • 30 second AO
    [FONT=&quot]Rower[/FONT]

• 2 min row for distance
    [FONT=&quot]Floor[/FONT]

• 8 x pullover
    • 8 x back extensions
    [FONT=&quot]Tread[/FONT]

• 1 min push
    • 1 min base
    • 30 second push
    • 30 second AO
    [FONT=&quot]Rower[/FONT]

• 1 min row for distance
    [FONT=&quot]Floor[/FONT]

• 16 x Running ma
    • 8 x S/L V-Up
    [FONT=&quot]Tread[/FONT]

• 30 second push
    • 30 second base
    • 30 second push
    • 30 second AO

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Damn is that the Orange Theory workout? Sounds like a crazy HIIT workout.

I try to go a little faster in the gym so that's why I like late at night. I can set up a few stations with my weights and then rotate through them one after another. I did Monday's workout in about 40 minutes and was dripping sweat after I was done. I try to keep my heart rate up even doing weights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom