Light Kicking .410 Shell Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have a youth model shotgun for my young son. One of the Rossi guns that change from .22 to .410. We are just now getting around to using the .410 barrel and I had few rounds of .410 that the writing rubbed off so I couldn't tell what shells were what.

He was able to handle one kind of the shells but the other shells kicked him pretty good. I don't want him to grow scared of the gun so I am asking for input on some light shooting .410 ammo.

Its mainly for plinking and squirrel possibly. He is almost 6 right now and shoots .22 well along with his pellet rifles. He has harvested many squirrel and rabbit with his pellet rifle but naturally wants to progress up.

My knowledge of shotgun shells is not that extensive.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    That is my sons 2nd firearm
    The 6 or 7.5 shot size is good for squirrels
    There is all a 410 buckshot & slug
    The down side of it is that there are only 3 pellets and for the slug it's less than an ounce
    That gun is awesome to shoot using the shotshells

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I couldn't tell you definitively off the top of my head if there are lesser powder loads in .410 that would make a difference, but what I can tell you is those Rossi crack barrel single shots are mule-kickers. I had one in .20ga/.22lr/.243 and brought it to Argentina for my kid. He was complaining about how hard it was kicking and showed me the mark it was making on his arm, so I swapped guns with him. I never actually shot that gun until that day. I was ashamed at myself for allowing my kid to sit there and get punished by that damned gun. And we were using low brass field loads. I have NEVER shot a single shot crack barrel shotgun that didn't feel like someone was hitting my shoulder with a maul.

If you're able, just get him a better gun. I may end up giving my Rossi to someone I dislike.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I really don't think anyone makes a 'low recoil' load for a 410, most are loaded to around 1250-1300 ft/sec. I load some for my and family members who have 'Judges', but also load 20 gauge with 28 ga recipe for grandkids

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    You may also want to look into a "limbsaver", I think it is a spring loaded weight that goes in the stock to absorb some of the recoil

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Look at the boxes. It’s all there. Mainly it’s the payload, which is resistance. Heavier the payload the more recoil. Look for the shorter shells with the lightest payload and lowest dram equivalents on the powder charge. I have an old snake charmer that has seen a lot of rounds, and yes, you do learn the difference. That being said, if you want to keep making effective kills with the .410, better stick to 4 or 6 shot, which is generally loaded hotter than 8-9 shot target loads. If he’s already proficient with a .22 the .410 is gonna be a step down for squirrel. Gotta get pretty dang close to make a kill with those shorty crack barrels.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    2.5" shells have 1/2oz payloads and the 3" shells have a 11/16oz or some have a 3/4oz payload.
    Effective range of the 410 is up to 25 yards and maybe 30yds tops. I shoot most of my squirrels at no farther than 25 yards and most are closer than that. 7.5 and 8 shot works just fine on squirrels at that distance. The little Rossi shotguns are extremely light weight so kick harder than the wood stocked H&R shotguns that weigh more. I would add a limbsaver or similar recoil pad to it and it will soften the kick.
    It can also be used for deer at those ranges with the 3 or 5 pellet buckshot loads with either OO or OOO buckshot or the rifled slug if the gun will shoot those well. I've had better luck putting most of the buckshot loads on a paper plate at 25 yards vs erratic accuracy with the slug loads. I have some .40 caliber buckshot loads with 4 pellets that shoot well out of more open chokes. The .40 caliber buckshot weigh around 70-80gr. I also have some #4 buckshot loads with 9 pellets.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I took the plastic forearm off my grandsons, and filled it with BB's to give it a little more heft. It made a big difference in recoil with the extra weight on the front end.

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would recommend that before handing the .410 to a youngster that you shoot it yourself first.

I bought a “youth model” shotgun for my son and it nearly ruined shooting for him forever. After three shots of “light loads” he told me that he never wanted to shoot it again. I tried it and agreed. Several other grown men concurred. It was a single shot and was so light that all the recoil energy was being slammed into the shooter. I ended up selling it cheap because it was so unpleasant to shoot. I made the mistake of assuming that a “youth model” was suitable for a young person. The only thing that made it a “youth model” was that it was small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2018
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think I’ll first look at the limbsavers to see if that helps.

It will. I have a 12 gauge Remington Model 31 (1947) that kicks like a mule. It'll leave a serious bruise. I put a recoil pad on it, and it makes all the difference - still kicks hard, but doesn't leave a mark, and I'm happy to hunt with it now.

Top Bottom