Petition to reverse the bump stock ban

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Dont own one but I signed it. People don't understand you can do the same thing as a bump stock with your belt loop of your jeans. Next ban belt loops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Dont own one but I signed it. People don't understand you can do the same thing as a bump stock with your belt loop of your jeans. Next ban belt loops.

I am with you on that I think bump stocks are stupid (my 2) but give them an inch they will want a mile next.

Wingate

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Saw this ban coming for a while. I don't like ANY restrictive laws, especially firearms related, but when "we" (the 2A community) go out of our way to circumvent any law eventually "the man" will crack down on us. Same will happen with "pistol braces" that circumvent SBR rules the first time a thug or crazy uses one in a crime. We would be better served spending our time, energy and money to get the current restrictive laws changed for the better. Just my $0.02 and worth every cent you paid for it.
    Happy New Year BS'ers.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Saw this ban coming for a while. I don't like ANY restrictive laws, especially firearms related, but when "we" (the 2A community) go out of our way to circumvent any law eventually "the man" will crack down on us. Same will happen with "pistol braces" that circumvent SBR rules the first time a thug or crazy uses one in a crime. We would be better served spending our time, energy and money to get the current restrictive laws changed for the better. Just my $0.02 and worth every cent you paid for it.
    Happy New Year BS'ers.

Nobody circumvented the law. The law was used as a guide to shape the product. The law listed certain mechanics that were illegal. The product did not violate the mechanics. By saying bump stocks circumvented the law, you are legitimizing banning something based not on the letter of the law but on the perceived spirit of the law. Featureless rifles in California violate the spirit of their laws. Should they be outlawed? Mean Arms makes a loader to easily reload an AR with a fixed magazine. One could argue that violates the spirit of the law. That does the same thing the bump stock does, speeds up the process of manipulating one round at a time. Should it also be banned?

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-loader-for-ar15

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Nobody circumvented the law. The law was used as a guide to shape the product. The law listed certain mechanics that were illegal. The product did not violate the mechanics. By saying bump stocks circumvented the law, you are legitimizing banning something based not on the letter of the law but on the perceived spirit of the law. Featureless rifles in California violate the spirit of their laws. Should they be outlawed? Mean Arms makes a loader to easily reload an AR with a fixed magazine. One could argue that violates the spirit of the law. That does the same thing the bump stock does, speeds up the process of manipulating one round at a time. Should it also be banned?

Thomas, there is quite a bit of ignorance passed around on the topic. BATF approved the bump stocks in 2010 after much discussion and testing. Bump stocks still fire one round per trigger pull, hence a semi auto rifle function. A bump stock equipped rifle IS NOT a machine gun per the BATF ruling/letters.

Funny I cannot recall a bump stock equipped rifle being used in a mass shooting or major crime before the Vegas massacre. Nor subsequently. So one madman commits a heinous crime using a bump stock, and Trump sells us out with a total ban.

So all of you here who think bump stocks are dumb and the ban doesn't bother you, just wait till they ban high cap magazines or the AR-15 at the federal level. There is already discussion/dialog in DC to ban the AR-15 and lower parts kits for ordinary citizens.

Think that is far fetched? Well there was one mass shooting involving a bump stock.....and now a ban. There have been several mass shootings in the last 5 years using an AR-15, and the democrats are all for banning ARs right now. Now even some republicans are willing to infringe upon our 2A rights.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thomas, there is quite a bit of ignorance passed around on the topic. BATF approved the bump stocks in 2010 after much discussion and testing. Bump stocks still fire one round per trigger pull, hence a semi auto rifle function. A bump stock equipped rifle IS NOT a machine gun per the BATF ruling/letters.

Funny I cannot recall a bump stock equipped rifle being used in a mass shooting or major crime before the Vegas massacre. Nor subsequently. So one madman commits a heinous crime using a bump stock, and Trump sells us out with a total ban.

So all of you here who think bump stocks are dumb and the ban doesn't bother you, just wait till they ban high cap magazines or the AR-15 at the federal level. There is already discussion/dialog in DC to ban the AR-15 and lower parts kits for ordinary citizens.

Think that is far fetched? Well there was one mass shooting involving a bump stock.....and now a ban. There have been several mass shootings in the last 5 years using an AR-15, and the democrats are all for banning ARs right now. Now even some republicans are willing to infringe upon our 2A rights.

Yep...look at the states that have banned standard capacity AR mags and force people to use low capacity mags under the rationale that more frequent reloads would allow more time for someone to rush the killer. The only thing more frequent reloads would allow would be time to get off a good shot on the killer. But those restrictive states also tend to be restrictive on concealed carry.

Side rant: I hate the term "high capacity". The word "high" sends the signal something is above the norm, above the standard. For an AR magazine, the standard magazine holds 30 rounds so a 30 round magazine should be viewed as standard capacity. Similarly, a standard Glock 17 magazine holds 17 rounds. So the standard magazine should be referred to as standard capacity. I believe allowing the term "high capacity" to be used for a standard capacity magazine give fuel for the left to rationalize a capacity restriction.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    I think Trump did this knowing it would end up in the SC. That way it's done for good. Not really crazy about that but that's the end game.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Seems to be a lot of useless and ignored petitions there. Hope this one is different.
    I think no one knows about this. Some are extremely important. Social media could help getting this out.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria

Don't disagree with you '72. But "shaping the product" to make a semiautomatic weapon mimic a full automatic weapon, which big brother has chosen to regulate, to me circumvents the intent of their law (and I understand your point concerning intent vs spirit of the law). Same with "braces" and SBR's. Every time we find a loophole they will plug such loophole. Not saying there SHOULD be ANY regulations - there should not be - but there ARE these regulations unless and until we can do something about it legislatively.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^which is why I'm happy to see a few AR manufacturers starting to offer AR's with pistol braces. Common use and all that...

We saw this coming. I really wish Ted Cruze or someone equivalent had proposed a gun control bill with compromises. We give up bump stocks, have background checks at gunshows, a slightly enhanced background check, and a few other things, in exchange we get sbr's legal, suppressors treated and checked like firearms, and national reciprocity. A compromise bill would give us some things we want, and get some things off the table that the left wants. It kills a lot of their talking (and fund raising) points on both sides.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    6th district Judge says he can't do this. It then goes up the ladder and it will not be enforced until it reaches SC decision

This is untrue. Law becomes effective March 21, 2019. GOA has filed a suit but no ruling has been rendered, not even close. Feinstein has said they will tie up any court challenges for years to come.

bowhtr1, post a link where the 6th district judge blocked the new law.

link to article: https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/bump-stock-ban-to-take-effect-in-90-days-1553926/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom