Important Reminders + Lessons Learned

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Don't leave guns in your vehicle no matter how safe the location that is parked in. I re-learned this lesson this past week and am out a radar detector, pistol, TLR-6, and Sck Holster. In this case, I knew better but got in a rush to catch a ride to the airport to fly home.

Advise part two: Keep good comprehensive insurance on your car. I'm now learning that Geico only covers the first $200 of items stolen...so after my $250 deductible for the shattered window, I'll be getting a $200 check towards the lost items (provided I have a receipt).

Edits:

Part three: Keep a list (somewhere safe) of the serial number of all of you firearms and receipts if possible.

Part four: Firearm specific insurance may actually be worth it (still figuring this one out)

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Home owners or renters insurance may cover "home" items that may be in the vehicle. But you do have to deal with the deductible and with the penalty of having made a claim.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    If you are a member of the NRA, their basic firearm policy should cover the pistol. May have to have signed up for the insurance though even if the basic is no additional cost over membership.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are a member of the NRA, their basic firearm policy should cover the pistol. May have to have signed up for the insurance though even if the basic is no additional cost over membership.

That is a good idea... I am a member and might have signed up for it. I'll go check right now.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Any idea on where to find this? I can't seem to find it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You have to call them. Mine were not covered since I loaned them to my dad. And were taken from his home.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You have to call them. Mine were not covered since I loaned them to my dad. And were taken from his home.

I called, got the claim packet, and need to fill it out. The guy on the phone thinks itll be covered.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I thought it would be. Now we just need someone to come along and say it is since.........................your car is an extension of your home in 3-2-1 :rofl:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    m1k3 for the win! I’m going sign up for this right now. Guess there’s more to being an NRA member than pissing off liberals!

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    m1k3 for the win! I’m going sign up for this right now. Guess there’s more to being an NRA member than pissing off liberals!

Call and see you may have already. It is the same paperwork you send in for the insurance if ya get shot. When ya join they send yiu a packet to send back

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

They don't offer the free coverage anymore because some states said it was illegal to offer insurance without having any paid premium. All of the links to it are dead. The only way I found it was because I had the old email. I am seriously considering purchasing firearm insurance after this though. I also am likely going to lower my deductibles with Geico.

As for the $800 radar detector, I think I am just going to write it off and not worry about dealing with rental insurance. I wouldn't want the cost of that to go up. What are y'alls thoughts on that?

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    I did not know that they had discontinued the free insurance, but it was limited to only $1000 or $2000. Same thing with homeowners or renters insurance. Firearms coverage is pretty limited unless you pay for a separate rider. If you have more than a few firearms, the extra insurance through NRA is pretty reasonably priced.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So I have a dashcam in my car that the thief popped off the windshield, but left (guess he didn't know what it was) on my seat...which means I get dashcam footage of him breaking in. Anyone with video software want to try to brighten the parts showing the thief up a bit? I have already sent the videos to the police, but I imagine it isn't a majorly important case to them since it was just one gun and a radar detector that were stolen.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geo5pwj8tg6uti4/AAAe7hUpzr5P1ftyCNQIXPS4a?dl=0

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Any idea what tipped them off to hit your car? Any surveillance video from the location? May have car coming and going of thief.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Any idea what tipped them off to hit your car? Any surveillance video from the location? May have car coming and going of thief.

I had parked right next to a pillar and the guy used the pillar to conceal the window he broke/went in through. I imagine he broke in to get the radar detector. That's my best guess. Option two is that he scoped out the place and saw that my car hadn't moved for 3 days and assumed (correctly) that I had flown somewhere for the holidays.

Interestingly, he didn't take anything else in the car (including about $30 bucks that was next to the gun).

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I have a dashcam in my car that the thief popped off the windshield, but left (guess he didn't know what it was) on my seat...which means I get dashcam footage of him breaking in. Anyone with video software want to try to brighten the parts showing the thief up a bit? I have already sent the videos to the police, but I imagine it isn't a majorly important case to them since it was just one gun and a radar detector that were stolen.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geo5pwj8tg6uti4/AAAe7hUpzr5P1ftyCNQIXPS4a?dl=0

I'll see what I can do with it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Still working but it looks a little promising.

Untitled Project.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks Perez, I appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members