Important Reminders + Lessons Learned

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm surprised Geico is covering any contents. Most auto policies don't. OTOH, your HO or renters policy provides coverage. Give them a call.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm surprised Geico is covering any contents. Most auto policies don't. OTOH, your HO or renters policy provides coverage. Give them a call.

They wouldn't cover the radar as it's something made for cars :/

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Austin, that sucks and I’m really sorry that happened to you. I have a terrible habit of leaving firearms in my truck. Sometimes 3-4 at a time... Granted, my truck is not one that anyone really wants to break into, but still, you never know and I really need to wise up.

Perez, that is amazing work you’ve done with the dash cam footage!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin, that sucks and I’m really sorry that happened to you. I have a terrible habit of leaving firearms in my truck. Sometimes 3-4 at a time... Granted, my truck is not one that anyone really wants to break into, but still, you never know and I really need to wise up.

Perez, that is amazing work you’ve done with the dash cam footage!

Thanks! Yeah, it was one of those things that "never" happens until it happens. I'll be making a point to not leave anything in sight any longer. I will likely get another radar detector, but bring it inside and only use it for long trips.

Perez was also able to clean the video up a lot and I emailed it to the officer who came out and took the report. Hopefully, something is able to come of it. I might call next week and ask if a detective has been assigned or if there is any way they can do anything with the footage. Option B would be to see if a local news station wants to run it / a Crimestoppers type program. Anyone have insight into any of these options?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    https://www.theadvertiser.com/story...yer-called-totally-justifiable-da/2432377002/

Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore.

""It was a legally possessed weapon in the vehicle, which is an extension of the home," Moore said."

I laughed when I read this and thought about Bayoushooter.com. This is where that idea originates. The DA.
    We all knew that would happen. I even joked about it earlier in this thread. Hopefully the villain here will end up like in Cristmass Story and shoot his eye out. It is that time of year.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My son's pistol was stolen out of his truck. He always locks his truck, but they got in somehow without forced entry (slim Jim?). NRA wouldn't cover the loss.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My son's pistol was stolen out of his truck. He always locks his truck, but they got in somehow without forced entry (slim Jim?). NRA wouldn't cover the loss.

I read through the fine print and it looks like I check all of the boxes (that I am aware of thus far). The vehicle was locked in a secured complex and a window was broken to get in. Police came out and did a full report. We shall see. I need to get the police report first and go from there.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I almost never leave a gun in the car, it's always on me or in a safe at home. BUT when I do need to, I have a small "safe" that has a cable that tethers to something (like a seat frame). Won't prevent someone from breaking into my car, but will make it harder for a smash and grab.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sending it to the media might get the guy ID'ed and might get your stuff back, but it also might be played out to a different motive.

One of the new hot trends in anti-gun politics is to blame legal gun owners for increasing the amount of guns in criminal hands by "allowing" the guns to be stolen from cars. If there is an investigative reporter in your market who is not likely anti-gun. give it a try.

BTW - good on Perez for the enhancement. I used to do that kind of work and appreciate what goes into it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom