Shooting update that the LSU players were involved in

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Yes, it is as long as it's not in public view. So cover your windows and you should be ok. Otherwise it would be the same thing as if you have sex (with yourself or someone else) in the front window in view of the public.

I would respectfully disagree with you on that. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy while in the confines of your home. Doesn't matter if you are standing in front of a window or not.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would respectfully disagree with you on that. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy while in the confines of your home. Doesn't matter if you are standing in front of a window or not.

You are welcome to disagree with me but your opinion runs afoul with Louisiana Laws.

106. Obscenity
    A. The crime of obscenity is the intentional:
    (1) Exposure of the genitals, pubic hair, anus, vulva, or female breast nipples in any public place or place open to the public view, or in any prison or jail, with the intent of arousing sexual desire or which appeals to prurient interest or is patently offensive.

106.2. Sexual acts prohibited in public; penalties
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in vaginal, anal, or oral sexual intercourse in any public place or place open to the public view for the purpose of gaining the attention of the public.

If you have sex in your car or in the front window of your house, you are in the public view and are in violation of the law. I'm sorry your example didn't work but it didn't.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

What? The .gov. goons don't care about your puny rights, You can't even legal CC in your own home unless youv'e paid them for a CCP!

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    If my camper is hooked up to my truck, is it an extension of my home or an extention of my truck? And Gator, them CHP guys is gonna get you for calling it a CCP.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You are welcome to disagree with me but your opinion runs afoul with Louisiana Laws.

106. Obscenity
    A. The crime of obscenity is the intentional:
    (1) Exposure of the genitals, pubic hair, anus, vulva, or female breast nipples in any public place or place open to the public view, or in any prison or jail, with the intent of arousing sexual desire or which appeals to prurient interest or is patently offensive.

106.2. Sexual acts prohibited in public; penalties
    A. It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in vaginal, anal, or oral sexual intercourse in any public place or place open to the public view for the purpose of gaining the attention of the public.

If you have sex in your car or in the front window of your house, you are in the public view and are in violation of the law. I'm sorry your example didn't work but it didn't.

But then you would have to argue that the actions that took place inside my house, in front of a window with the curtains wide open, were "intentionally" done for public display. I could also argue that since I had no intent for the public to view me, I just forgot to close the curtains, that you (as in anyone that may have seen me) were guilty of being a peeping Tom.

In the end, no, I won't agree with you. But I suppose the only way for either of us to find out is to test each others theory. Personally, I don't have time for that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But then you would have to argue that the actions that took place inside my house, in front of a window with the curtains wide open, were "intentionally" done for public display. I could also argue that since I had no intent for the public to view me, I just forgot to close the curtains, that you (as in anyone that may have seen me) were guilty of being a peeping Tom.

In the end, no, I won't agree with you. But I suppose the only way for either of us to find out is to test each others theory. Personally, I don't have time for that.

No, I don't have to argue it was "intentionally" done for public display. There's an "or" in the law. Intentionally done for public display is only one of the three possibilities.

But that doesn't matter. It was obvious from the tone in your initial post you felt the same action was legal in a home but not legal in a car. But that's not the case. All I have to show is the law does not make an exception for actions in the home to show it applies to a home and a car.

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78258

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    No, I don't have to argue it was "intentionally" done for public display. There's an "or" in the law. Intentionally done for public display is only one of the three possibilities.

But that doesn't matter. It was obvious from the tone in your initial post you felt the same action was legal in a home but not legal in a car. But that's not the case. All I have to show is the law does not make an exception for actions in the home to show it applies to a home and a car.

https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/Law.aspx?d=78258

OK, you win.

There's so much wrong with the whole statement that started this thread - the whole "car is an extension of your home". I wish that phrase would never be spoken again.

Here's another example. And I am not looking for a response, just pointing out how absurd the "car is an extension of your home" argument is.

Orleans Parish home owners pay taxes on their property. Orleans Parish also assesses a property tax on motor vehicles. If your vehicle is an extension of your home, why are you paying taxes twice? Couldn't you use the "car is an extension of your home" argument and refuse to pay the tax on your vehicle since you already paid the tax on your house? Again, this is a rhetorical question.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    Orleans Parish home owners pay taxes on their property. Orleans Parish also assesses a property tax on motor vehicles. If your vehicle is an extension of your home, why are you paying taxes twice? Couldn't you use the "car is an extension of your home" argument and refuse to pay the tax on your vehicle since you already paid the tax on your house? Again, this is a rhetorical question.

Does Orleans Parish charge property tax on motor vehicles or sales tax? Can’t find anything on their Assessor’s site about property tax on vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Does Orleans Parish charge property tax on motor vehicles or sales tax? Can’t find anything on their Assessor’s site about property tax on vehicles.

I stand corrected. New Orleans used to levy this tax. Apparently in 2006, it was on the ballot to remove it. The constitutional amendment passed and New Orleans no longer collects this tax.

Scroll to page 5 here: http://parlouisiana.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Guide-to-the-Constitutional-Amendments-on-the-November-7-2006-Ballot.pdf

And see this page also: https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/static/2006-11-07/resultsRegion/4426

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    No fun just throwing spears from the cheap seats I guess.

The point (IMHO) of the thread is whole *your car is an extension of your home* comment. It is a silly thing to say and incorrect on many levels. You happen to have many of the same rights in your vehicle that happen to be the same as your home. There are things that are not the same also, so to say your vehicle is an *extension* is misleading at best.

If you want to talk about the right to defend yourself with deadly force or the right to have a weapon then you should discuss that in the context of the situation that you are speaking about. Don’t equate one to the other (car/house).

Reference Louisiana’s anti carjacker law. That statute specifically spells out some things about your vehicle. Doesn’t have anything to do with your house.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    He could have left it at it was legal for them to have the gun in the vehicle if they were legal and the gun was legal. And not stirred up the extension of your home crowd that will only see that and run with it.

When I read that I chuckled.Thinking of the old threads that went South over the whole car extension of your home thing.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    What if you live in a Motor Home? Since we look to be beating the Dead Horse flat here.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What if you live in a Motor Home? Since we look to be beating the Dead Horse flat here.

You jest but questions like that were covered when I went through the police academy. Also covered was the 4th Amendment and searches with and without warrants. It was during that discussion, specifically when talking about firearms, that "your vehicle is an extension of your home" was discussed. For example, a pistol in a glove box is not more a concealed carry violation than a pistol in a nightstand drawer. So even though the term is not a legal one, it is a concept that has been talked about in a criminal law setting.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    So Perez I’ll summarize old times about this topic around here before your join date for a frame of reference. People beat this dead horse to death. People said because they were trained formally (LEO) in in a criminal law setting that the extension phase was legit. It simply is not. It IS a very useful phase in describing the similarities that exist as far as carrying/concealing a weapon. How about 4th amendment search and seizure topics? How about the reasonable expectation of privacy? Are they all the same??? Don’t think so.

Even stickier could be the use of deadly force. Same? I think the fact that we have a anti-carjacker law is great and helps protect the rights of lawful citizen in his car. It was written for a reason.

Check out the link below and listen to what the Chief of police says between 4:40 and 5:40.

https://youtu.be/s4QhwbkZVfk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So Perez I’ll summarize old times about this topic around here before your join date for a frame of reference. People beat this dead horse to death. People said because they were trained formally (LEO) in in a criminal law setting that the extension phase was legit. It simply is not. It IS a very useful phase in describing the similarities that exist as far as carrying/concealing a weapon. How about 4th amendment search and seizure topics? How about the reasonable expectation of privacy? Are they all the same??? Don’t think so.

Even stickier could be the use of deadly force. Same? I think the fact that we have a anti-carjacker law is great and helps protect the rights of lawful citizen in his car. It was written for a reason.

Check out the link below and listen to what the Chief of police says between 4:40 and 5:40.

https://youtu.be/s4QhwbkZVfk

The context I have always heard the phrase used is in conjunction with possession of firearms. That's the context the DA used the phrase with. With respect to searches and seizures, both warrants and exigent circumstance searches can come into play, One of the problem with looking at the expectation of privacy is plain view. If you're stopped on the street, the cop has a legal right to be in a lot of places where plain view covers a lot of the car. Not so for a house.

Did you notice the Chief say in that segment the cops would make sure the gun was registered to you?

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    The context I have always heard the phrase used is in conjunction with possession of firearms. That's the context the DA used the phrase with.

Quoting mostly so this point does not get over looked quickly. Context is so very important. And the context in which the DA was speaking was about possession of a firearm.

I don’t know why people keep bringing other things like sex in front of window, expectation of privacy, etc into the discussion. Those things have nothing to do with the situation the players were in nor do they have anything to do with the context under which the DA made his statement.

Reading this thread is similar to:

Person A: I love this world we live in. The sky is so beautiful and blue.

Person B: that’s so wrong the sky isn’t always blue.

Person A: um, yes it is.

Person B: the sky on Venus is orange. The skies on Jupiter’s moons are black

Person A: the sky is blue. I can see it with my own two eyes.

Person B: I’m a keyboard astronomer, so I know that a sky isn’t always blue. So you are wrong.

Everyone else listening to the conversation: what the hell does it matter what the skies of Venus and Jupiter’s moons are, the conversation was about earth damn it.

Top Bottom