Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

https://palmettostatearmory.com/wils...-tr-agb-r.html
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Thanks but I have to have a 2 piece. The muzzle device is pinned. In retrospect, I should have just gone with a 16" instead of a 14.5" barrel. That extra 1.5" is turning into an expensive pain.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I installed that adjustable gas block on a friends AR-10. He's trying to find the one magic setting that will allow him to shoot:
    1. Supersonic un-suppressed
    2. Supersonic suppressed
    3. Subsonic suppressed

"I don't think so Tim!"
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came, saw, and kicked my cancers ass!

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    Thanks but I have to have a 2 piece. The muzzle device is pinned. In retrospect, I should have just gone with a 16" instead of a 14.5" barrel. That extra 1.5" is turning into an expensive pain.
    That's the one I'm using,Had the same problem with the can attached,Severely over-gassed so much that the casing would do a 180 in the chamber!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dougstump View Post
    I installed that adjustable gas block on a friends AR-10. He's trying to find the one magic setting that will allow him to shoot:
    1. Supersonic un-suppressed
    2. Supersonic suppressed
    3. Subsonic suppressed

"I don't think so Tim!"
    I (and many others) have chased that unicorn on an AR-10. My recommendation would be to find a better use of your time. Plenty of recipes that work on 5.56 and 300BLK...not so much on the big boy. I thought I had a sweet spot that works for suppressed and un-suppressed supers and that turn out to be round specific (168 HPBT match...good rounds for it to work).

Perez, I dont know what can you are getting but make sure it is warrantied and rated for 14.5* barrel on 308s. FWIW mine is 16* min for that round.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saw View Post
    I (and many others) have chased that unicorn on an AR-10. My recommendation would be to find a better use of your time. Plenty of recipes that work on 5.56 and 300BLK...not so much on the big boy. I thought I had a sweet spot that works for suppressed and un-suppressed supers and that turn out to be round specific (168 HPBT match...good rounds for it to work).

Perez, I dont know what can you are getting but make sure it is warrantied and rated for 14.5* barrel on 308s. FWIW mine is 16* min for that round.
    I have 2 cans, a Dead Air Sandman S at 8 months with the ATF (and pending as of a call today to check the status) and a SilencerCo Omega at 6 months. The Omega has a restriction od 16" for a 308. The Sandman has no barrel restriction. I recently reached out to Dead Air on that issue before this build:

"I have a Sandman S set to be released from NFA Jail any day now. I'm currently starting an AR10 build and will be getting a Dead Air muzzle device for the build. Being relatively new to the world of suppressors, I have a question about barrel length. I know the Sandman S has no barrel length restriction but how does wear and tear relate to the barrel length? This will mainly be a range/farm use rifle. I don't have plans for long range shooting with this rifle so I don't need a longer barrel for accuracy at distance. The talk is a pin and welded 14.5" 308 barrel is too harsh on cans. I'd prefer to stay 18" and go as short as possible while still considering the life of the can. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated."

Their reply:

"We use stelite for our baffles on the Sandman series of silencers. We have multiple silencers with 30-40k rounds through them with no wear on the baffles at all. We also have never had a silencer come back to warranty for baffle erosion. You should be good to go with either barrel length and we do mean no barrel length restriction. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
    Tasson Nique
    Dead Air Silencers"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Good for Deadair. I want one next. Seriously.

My Omega (stellite baffles) has maybe 3000 rds thru it. Maybe 2-300 .308s from a 16* barrel with brake and couple thou of 5.56 thru a 10.5* barrel with FH and I can see some erosion. It isn’t bad and doesn’t effect a thing, but I can see it.

If you don’t want to chase unicorns all day with the 14.5* AR-10, pick your primary configuration and get that 100% and then go backwards to the next. Getting a big block to run reliable both with and without can and without adjustable gas is going to be a challenge. Add in subs and you have your work cut out for you. Gas, spring, BCG moving mass. Only adjust one at a time.

Marksman

User Info Menu

So the idea it to purposely over-gas the rifle so it can be regulated by the adjustable gas block?

What gas block are you using? They make one of the only 2 adjustable 2 piece gas blocks I could find.

I goofed a little, JP is on another gun, I'm pretty sure it's something else. I had to machine it down a little to fit inside my rail, so it has been blasted and re-finished, but it is a 1 piece low profile block. The gun went from one of my most hated guns to one of my most effective overnight.
    One team, one mission, only one result! Seals 1 Bin Laden 0

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

While the government was shut down and Form 4's were on hold, I went ahead and ordered an adjustable gas block from Witt Machine. I finally went by Jim's to pick up a gas tube so I wouldn't have to unpin the one from the other gas block and got the thing installed. I closed it off and opened it a half turn at a time until the rifle would eject. It had to be opened quite a bit before that happened. I then tried to open it until it loaded the next round. I got to the point where the screw was loose and almost out and it still would not cycle. Can I now assume it is undergassed rather than overgassed? If so, should I open up the gas port a bit and try again?

https://www.wittmachine.net/750-two-...960&quantity=1

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    While the government was shut down and Form 4's were on hold, I went ahead and ordered an adjustable gas block from Witt Machine. I finally went by Jim's to pick up a gas tube so I wouldn't have to unpin the one from the other gas block and got the thing installed. I closed it off and opened it a half turn at a time until the rifle would eject. It had to be opened quite a bit before that happened. I then tried to open it until it loaded the next round. I got to the point where the screw was loose and almost out and it still would not cycle. Can I now assume it is undergassed rather than overgassed? If so, should I open up the gas port a bit and try again?

https://www.wittmachine.net/750-two-...960&quantity=1

Yep sounds undergassed, time to open up that gas port a tad... This reminds me that I need to get a extra power hammer spring for my AR10... 7.62 surplus seems to have one to two a magazine that are stubborn and require a second try... May try and make the firing pin protrude a little more as well...
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....