AR10 Last Round Hold Open Issue - Updated 02/11/2019

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You might be able to pick up a decent 16 inch barrel pretty cheap and just scrap this one. I got a BCA 16 inch HBAR plain Jane nitride barrel from primary arms or Arm or Ally for 50 bucks. Shoots like a champ
    Edit: it was Primary Arms, parkerized and I paid $40. Looks like they’re out of that one but there are plenty out there for cheap.
    d30b7dec290f4a49746cb36bc67d9584.jpg

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You might be able to pick up a decent 16 inch barrel pretty cheap and just scrap this one. I got a BCA 16 inch HBAR plain Jane nitride barrel from primary arms or Arm or Ally for 50 bucks. Shoots like a champ
    Edit: it was Primary Arms, parkerized and I paid $40. Looks like they’re out of that one but there are plenty out there for cheap.

It's a Ballistic Advantage barrel so it's not like it's low quality. The other issue is the pinned muzzle device. Another Dead Air muzzle device could run twice as much as what you paid for that barrel. But if opening up the gas port doesn't work, I may have no other choice but to go with another barrel.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Adjust another component. Easiest would be reducing buffer weight. Change out some tungsten for steel and see if you can reduce the BCG mass to work wide open unsuppressed.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did some more troubleshooting and noticed something I didn't notice before. I may have overlooked it or it may have just not come about during the first troubleshooting. When I drop the bcg with a round (or a spend brass to test further), the bcg "sticks" and it is difficult to pull back with the charging handle. It doesn't stick like that without a round in the chamber and when function checking the rifle I tend to not cycle live rounds through the rifle as the wife would be displeased with a .30 cal hole in the floor or wall. So might that be a headspace issue? I've never run across that issue in any of my other AR15/AR9 builds.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    It's a tight chamber. My AR10s suffer from that too. Take a 20ga bore brush on a peice of cleaning rod dap a little polish on the brush and Chuck it in a drill and run it in the chamber for a few seconds. Also make sure to oil it up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a tight chamber. My AR10s suffer from that too. Take a 20ga bore brush on a peice of cleaning rod dap a little polish on the brush and Chuck it in a drill and run it in the chamber for a few seconds. Also make sure to oil it up.

So polish and oil? I guess I will be running to Jim's tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I don't have any polish and I can't think of who else would carry some.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just an update for anyone who is interested, I've also been chatting with Ballistic Advantage technical support. They have requested I send them the barrel and BCG so they can be measured to make sure they are within specs. I did ask about trying to polish method first and the reply was "No, I would rather inspect the barrel first. I wouldn't want the warranty to be void and then we are not able to work on it." If something is out of spec, I hope it's the BCG. If it's the barrel, I don't know if they are going to shave the barrel to properly time a Dead Air muzzle brake then pin and weld it.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Just an update for anyone who is interested, I've also been chatting with Ballistic Advantage technical support. They have requested I send them the barrel and BCG so they can be measured to make sure they are within specs. I did ask about trying to polish method first and the reply was "No, I would rather inspect the barrel first. I wouldn't want the warranty to be void and then we are not able to work on it." If something is out of spec, I hope it's the BCG. If it's the barrel, I don't know if they are going to shave the barrel to properly time a Dead Air muzzle brake then pin and weld it.

They should have the ability to do the work if needed. They roll their own barrels so they should have the machines and tooling to do it. Keep us updated! Ive had great luck and customer service as a customer and dealer with BA. Good company, good products.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    At least they are standing behind it.

They are going to look at it at least. If it is the barrel, I can only hope they will replace it in the configuration I sent it in. It was about $200 to trim the barrel to time the $75 muzzle devise so as to not need shims and to weld the muzzle device.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    They are going to look at it at least. If it is the barrel, I can only hope they will replace it in the configuration I sent it in. It was about $200 to trim the barrel to time the $75 muzzle devise so as to not need shims and to weld the muzzle device.
    Jeez. That's expensive. I paid $100 for my KAK value line 10.5" and it's been awesome. My rifle upper came complete from a place called thunder tactical and it's the one with the tight chamber.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Jeez. That's expensive. I paid $100 for my KAK value line 10.5" and it's been awesome. My rifle upper came complete from a place called thunder tactical and it's the one with the tight chamber.

The barrel itself was around $150. A local gunsmith shaved the end of the barrel at the base of the threads so the muzzle break would be timed without having to use shims. Then he welded the brake. That was the $200 part.

A 10.5" 308? How bad is that to shoot? I thought I was a glutton for punishment by considering a 12.5". what receivers do you have? I have a spare SBA3 brace in FDE and I'm trying to figure out what pistol to build around it. I have pistols in 9mm, 300 blk, and 5.56 so I was considering a 308. I try to not go with exotic calibers simply to keep cost of ammo lower.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I use a DPMS brake so it's not bad at all. The muzzle blast is ridiculously loud and will blow objects off neighboring tables. Have not accuracy tested it yet... I'm using Tennessee arms Polymer lowers cheap and have been holding up. They even take most parts from an AR15 LPK only needing different takedown pins.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From Ballistic Advantage: "I have inspected the barrel and the headspace on the barrel is good. It appears that the bolt is slightly out of spec. I can have the barrel and bolt shipped back shortly."

While I am waiting for the items, I have reached out to Aero Precision to find out what their process would be for warranty issues.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got the bcg back and immediately started a ticket online with Aero Precision. That was on a Sunday. On Thursday, I got tired of waiting for them to reply so I called them. They emailed me a shipping label. I mailed the bcg that Friday. It was delivered to them last Thursday. I got an email today stating they got it and would be looking at it. About 3 minuted later I got an email stating they were sending out a replacement bcg.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A quick update to this issue. I got the new replacement Aero and eagerly tested it out. Same problem. In double checking with Ballistic Advantage about their original findings they offered to get me barrel and bcg and test fire them. If they got the problem, they would try to find a matching bcg that worked. I offered to send them my entire upper and they said sure. They were able to replicate the issue with the Aero but they did not have that issue with their bcg. They offered to switch out the Areo bcg with theirs. Side note, they said Aero makes the BA uppers and lowers but they get the bcg's from a different source. Not wanting to assume anything, I asked if I should buy theirs and try to return the Aero to the vender I originally purchased it from. They said they could switch it out at no charge and either they could try to return the old one or I could try to return the old one. My reply was "I would certainly like it replaced. And if you're OK with sending the old one as well, I can try to return it. That choice really works in my favor but if you're ok with it, I'm ok with it." They replied and said that works and they would ship it out today. I'm have an account with UPS and FedEx so anytime my address shows up on a package, I get a notification. I get one shortly after that. The upper is currently in Longwood, Florida and I should have it on Monday.

Top Bottom