Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast
    All or nothing

Gold Member

User Info Menu

AR10 Last Round Hold Open Issue - Updated 02/11/2019

You might be able to pick up a decent 16 inch barrel pretty cheap and just scrap this one. I got a BCA 16 inch HBAR plain Jane nitride barrel from primary arms or Arm or Ally for 50 bucks. Shoots like a champ
    Edit: it was Primary Arms, parkerized and I paid $40. Looks like they’re out of that one but there are plenty out there for cheap.
    Last edited by Magdump; February 11th, 2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    You might be able to pick up a decent 16 inch barrel pretty cheap and just scrap this one. I got a BCA 16 inch HBAR plain Jane nitride barrel from primary arms or Arm or Ally for 50 bucks. Shoots like a champ
    Edit: it was Primary Arms, parkerized and I paid $40. Looks like they’re out of that one but there are plenty out there for cheap.
    It's a Ballistic Advantage barrel so it's not like it's low quality. The other issue is the pinned muzzle device. Another Dead Air muzzle device could run twice as much as what you paid for that barrel. But if opening up the gas port doesn't work, I may have no other choice but to go with another barrel.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

I would give ballistic advantage a call. You could always send them the upper and they could make it right for you.
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Adjust another component. Easiest would be reducing buffer weight. Change out some tungsten for steel and see if you can reduce the BCG mass to work wide open unsuppressed.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I did some more troubleshooting and noticed something I didn't notice before. I may have overlooked it or it may have just not come about during the first troubleshooting. When I drop the bcg with a round (or a spend brass to test further), the bcg "sticks" and it is difficult to pull back with the charging handle. It doesn't stick like that without a round in the chamber and when function checking the rifle I tend to not cycle live rounds through the rifle as the wife would be displeased with a .30 cal hole in the floor or wall. So might that be a headspace issue? I've never run across that issue in any of my other AR15/AR9 builds.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

It's a tight chamber. My AR10s suffer from that too. Take a 20ga bore brush on a peice of cleaning rod dap a little polish on the brush and Chuck it in a drill and run it in the chamber for a few seconds. Also make sure to oil it up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sportsbud View Post
    It's a tight chamber. My AR10s suffer from that too. Take a 20ga bore brush on a peice of cleaning rod dap a little polish on the brush and Chuck it in a drill and run it in the chamber for a few seconds. Also make sure to oil it up.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
    So polish and oil? I guess I will be running to Jim's tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I don't have any polish and I can't think of who else would carry some.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

Flitz. Amazing stuff.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Just an update for anyone who is interested, I've also been chatting with Ballistic Advantage technical support. They have requested I send them the barrel and BCG so they can be measured to make sure they are within specs. I did ask about trying to polish method first and the reply was "No, I would rather inspect the barrel first. I wouldn't want the warranty to be void and then we are not able to work on it." If something is out of spec, I hope it's the BCG. If it's the barrel, I don't know if they are going to shave the barrel to properly time a Dead Air muzzle brake then pin and weld it.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    Just an update for anyone who is interested, I've also been chatting with Ballistic Advantage technical support. They have requested I send them the barrel and BCG so they can be measured to make sure they are within specs. I did ask about trying to polish method first and the reply was "No, I would rather inspect the barrel first. I wouldn't want the warranty to be void and then we are not able to work on it." If something is out of spec, I hope it's the BCG. If it's the barrel, I don't know if they are going to shave the barrel to properly time a Dead Air muzzle brake then pin and weld it.
    They should have the ability to do the work if needed. They roll their own barrels so they should have the machines and tooling to do it. Keep us updated! Ive had great luck and customer service as a customer and dealer with BA. Good company, good products.