Am I a weirdo?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    So I've been reloading for 5 years or so now. I've really been fascinated lately with projectiles and what they do on impact of their intended target. For instance I've been researching 9mm self defense bullets lately. Comparing gold dots, HST, XTP etc. Ive already studied .223 projectiles extensively. Anyone else do this or am I a weirdo?

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Doesn't sound weird to me. I'd be interested in some of your findings on the 9mm self defense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    not at all... just did something for the wife with some 9mm 124gr +p HST... im always water jug testing/ load development exspecially subsonics suppressed... its a very fun hobby. Im only into a few calibers though I like to keep it simple.. by far the most fun I have had is with 45/70, 308, and 44 mag

Attachments

• flower.jpg
      flower.jpg
      184.4 KB · Views: 182
    • asse.jpg
      asse.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 590
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      212.3 KB · Views: 167
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      199.3 KB · Views: 173
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      199.3 KB · Views: 164
    Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Weirdo for simply looking up results? Heck no! Take it from me, ya don’t cross into weirdo realm until you get caught picking up fresh roadkill to shoot with nine different loads...ok, sometimes it ain’t so fresh but it doesn’t affect the results all that much...anyway...yeah, I think yer good.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Weirdo for simply looking up results? Heck no! Take it from me, ya don’t cross into weirdo realm until you get caught picking up fresh roadkill to shoot with nine different loads...ok, sometimes it ain’t so fresh but it doesn’t affect the results all that much...anyway...yeah, I think yer good.

Hang on, Now if that's a fresh deer..........

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Doesn't sound weird to me. I'd be interested in some of your findings on the 9mm self defense.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So far the best all around projectile for 9mm I've found has been the federal HST. They're pretty hard to find, but can sometimes scoop them up on gunbroker. I'm also liking the speer gold dot.

For .223 I been playing around with Sierra tmks, nosler/Winchester (combined technologies) silver tips and federal trophy bonds. All showing great results.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Second the Speer gold dot. And don’t forget the Winchester 147gr not a talons (SXT I believe they’re called?)
    I’m still carrying Corbon +P in a couple of my carry guns because I’ve seen what they do and bought a quantity years ago.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Second the Speer gold dot. And don’t forget the Winchester 147gr not a talons (SXT I believe they’re called?)
    I’m still carrying Corbon +P in a couple of my carry guns because I’ve seen what they do and bought a quantity years ago.

Yes Winchester has the ranger sxt which are supposed to be pretty impressive also. Winchester also has a pdx1 but haven't found any reloading components for either of them, only loaded ammo. From what I'm reading the ranger sxt is pretty much the same as the old black talons I believe without the black lulox coating.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Yes Winchester has the ranger sxt which are supposed to be pretty impressive also. Winchester also has a pdx1 but haven't found any reloading components for either of them, only loaded ammo. From what I'm reading the ranger sxt is pretty much the same as the old black talons I believe without the black lulox coating.

Reported to be Same eXact Thing, less black coating

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Correct on the SXT, like I said, not a talons. Pretty sure we’ve discussed that tho.
    Federal Hydrashocks used to be pretty impressive in the wet phonebooks as well. Never shot any meat with them tho.

Don’t wanna stray here, but I’m noticing an awful lot of ‘detuning’ of .40 S&W commercial loads. I’m extremely puzzled by this. I’m assuming ammo companies are playing by some public demand rules. Suddenly there are a lot of subsonic loads and not so many supersonic loads, and even those are slower than years ago. The round has a lot more potential. I’m guessing it’s an attempt to thwart that godawful recoil that I keep hearing about. It’s too bad if that’s the case. I mostly carry .40 and prefer the extra edge for one less round. No damn wonder so many people are convinced a 9mm is just as effective.
    Food for thought

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    You're ok but the work has probably already been done. I came across a story in a magazine that covered a lot of questions I had from FMJ to current bonded JHP for 9, 40, and 45 into a variety of media with accompanying data tables of recovered weights, penetration, wound channels, etc. I find the physical research good ole messy fun sometimes.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    You're ok but the work has probably already been done. I came across a story in a magazine that covered a lot of questions I had from FMJ to current bonded JHP for 9, 40, and 45 into a variety of media with accompanying data tables of recovered weights, penetration, wound channels, etc. I find the physical research good ole messy fun sometimes.

Yes, there are a lot of good videos on YouTube. It's just been interesting and fun learning this stuff.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Next up in the loading menu, I've found some MK318 mod 1 bullets. Also picked up some Winchester silver tip (nickel) 9mm projectiles. The mk318s are pretty badass, the Winchester I got just cause they look cool, lol.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I think Winchester Silver Tip 9mm are probably Aluminum clad.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom