Urban Carry holsters?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah, I like his vids, but I’m not built like him at all. I don’t share his tremendous overhang problem. I think that’s his primary issue with that holster. If I did have a big old gut hanging down like that, I dare say I’d just lift that mammoth gut and stick the gun in there with no holster. I’m pretty sure his gut could hold a full size auto.
    He also did a review on Serpa holsters and called them hot garbage...
    Truthfully, the guy seems a tad overly unhappy with the holster. Buyer’s remorse maybe?

Serpa holsters are also terrible...hence why they are banned at many ranges and in many classes.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I’ve never used a serpa but as much as I hear the name I assumed they were popular. What’s the problem with those?

The problem was some people were allowing their trigger finger to drop straight into the trigger guard, after pushing the button, as they draw. I never had that problem using my trigger finger pointed straight down and hard over the button. The gun would come out with my finger above the guard pointed straight down the slide. The drawback for me was hard pointing my trigger finger made the mag release harder to hit.

I bought one as a $29 local solution to start shooting USPSA, while I waited 60 days for my Red Hill Tactical holster to come in.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The problem was some people were allowing their trigger finger to drop straight into the trigger guard, after pushing the button, as they draw. I never had that problem using my trigger finger pointed straight down and hard over the button. The gun would come out with my finger above the guard pointed straight down the slide. The drawback for me was hard pointing my trigger finger made the mag release harder to hit.

I bought one as a $29 local solution to start shooting USPSA, while I waited 60 days for my Red Hill Tactical holster to come in.
    Got it. And thanks.
    Seems the more bad I hear about certain products nowadays, the more it seems the true problems lie with the users. Idk, just seems that way to me. I was born long before they started passing all the idiot proof laws for products meant for general public. If they can’t idiot proof something they deem ‘hazardous’ they just outlaw it. Like the reason they banned the sale of 3 wheelers and stuff like that. Pretty soon you won’t be able to mow your lawn because they’ll ban the sale of those heinous blade spinning mowers and we’ll all be forced to buy drums of roundup or go to artificial turf...

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Mowers already have warnings about picking them up
    And using it as a hedger. I guess John boy and billy Bob chopped their fingers off doing that, won a multi million dollar law suit and now we have another warning sticker.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Mowers already have warnings about picking them up
    And using it as a hedger. I guess John boy and billy Bob chopped their fingers off doing that, won a multi million dollar law suit and now we have another warning sticker.
    three wheelers came with plenty of warnings too.
    Personally I feel it would be far more productive to just let nature take its course...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

There were a lot more problems with them than just that. Items could get stuck in the mechanism causing it to lock up where the gun could not be removed. There was also an issue with lint, if I remember correctly getting stuck in there and causing the firearm to go off upon drawing.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Wow.

This holster is worst than the following:

Serpa
    3 in 1 gunshow special holster
    Uncle Mike’s nylon iwb/owb models
    Crossbreed holsters
    RM holsters
    Gas station sushi

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Wow.

This holster is worst than the following:

Serpa
    3 in 1 gunshow special holster
    Uncle Mike’s nylon iwb/owb models
    Crossbreed holsters
    RM holsters
    Gas station sushi

I agree with all of the above. To say an Urban Carry holster is anything better than trash is a disservice. Honestly, it's just slightly better than carrying with no holster in that the trigger is somewhat covered.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    While we are on the subject of Serpa holsters I have a question and maybe an expert on here can answer it. If the big problem is stuff getting caught In the mechanism is it also advisable to not use guns with cutouts in the slide when we go into battle? I would think a custom milled slide or a Glock 34 etc would just invite trash and lint to enter. I personally carried a serpa on duty for years while assigned to motors and never had a problem so I guess I will consider myself lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I gave a guy 20 bucks for a Carbon Fiber look, Serpa, it is a great Range Holster for my 1911's New in the package so no way are the Junk.

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    While we are on the subject of Serpa holsters I have a question and maybe an expert on here can answer it. If the big problem is stuff getting caught In the mechanism is it also advisable to not use guns with cutouts in the slide when we go into battle? I would think a custom milled slide or a Glock 34 etc would just invite trash and lint to enter. I personally carried a serpa on duty for years while assigned to motors and never had a problem so I guess I will consider myself lucky.

You did good! I only had to be lucky 4 or 5 nights over the course of 60 or so days.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me foreign objects could disable almost anything mechanical, including revolvers.

On the subject of dust bunnies and lint, its amazing how much lint works into a completely closed up, striker fired, handgun. I have a bad habit of cleaning the lint, out of my carry gun, before I go to the range, when I should probably function test it, full of lint. Its carried that way about half the time. Will I need to read the wind so I don't fill my eyebrows with lint on the first shot?

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I've heard this a lot. Where does this come from? It sounds like typical gun-shop wisdom.

If by "this" you mean lint, there was a little sarcasm, if I was concerned about my carry gun functioning with lint, I would have tested it already.

EDIT
    Thanks for adding the quote Joe. I was confused.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I've heard this a lot. Where does this come from? It sounds like typical gun-shop wisdom.

It is common knowledge not to carry a hard object such as a pistol over your spine where a hard fall "could possibly" injure your spine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom