Another way around NFA SBR rules

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A friend just sent me this link. Not sure when this came out, but I have not seen this in any sporting media.

http://www.reformationfirearms.com/services.html

Looks like another "loophole" around the SBR/SBS rules. I'm wondering how soon it will be before this, along with the "brace" and "shockwave" revolution, come to a head. In my mind, this pretty much invalidates the SBR rules.

Maybe we can get a judge in a free state to declare the SBR rules invalid, like the judges in California seem to routinely do with immigration law enforcement...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I thought this was the big secret at the shot show last year. Smooth bore not-a-rifle. I think people stopped talking about them because of all the nice fitting arm braces that are out now and feel just perfect on the shoulder...

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    NOT smooth bore. That would make it a short barreled shotgun. It has lands and grooves, but no twist. Hence, no rifling. Also no bullet stabilization.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    NOT smooth bore. That would make it a short barreled shotgun. It has lands and grooves, but no twist. Hence, no rifling. Also no bullet stabilization.

Actually it's classed as a GCA Shotgun lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I should have said no rifling. And this is the one. Haven’t heard anything about it since the first week of hype. Like I said, with all the new arm brace stocks this puppy is already forgotten.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Their plan was to also release rounds with special projectiles that would stabilize themselves.

http://www.reformationfirearms.com/untitled.html

20180122_205423.jpg

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Their plan was to also release rounds with special projectiles that would stabilize themselves.

http://www.reformationfirearms.com/untitled.html

Yeah, that would have worked better if they rifled the bullet for all that effort. It'll fly about as good as a fin stabilized Nerf football...missing a fin.

That's like some horrid cross between a toad and a flechette.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    They should have looked at the early V2 rocket launches. That's how well that bullet will fly

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I can actually see a use for this . In La.and Mo. My 12.5 "6.8 AR pistol is legal but I have to go through the unfriendly state of Arkansas going back and forth and 10" is the max length pistol barrel allowed in Ark. Also our favorite restaurants is across the border . A .300 or better yet the new .350 Winchester would be a good truck gun. Not for the price they are asking though ,I mean if someone like Anderson came out with a cheap barrel.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I saw this rifle a while back. The barrel design is really impressive (especially to get around the nfa) it does still shoot .223 just not past I believe 100/200 yards accurately. But for an sbr who really is going to be shooting past 75 yards? Like previous mentioned if this was a lower price I see other manufacturers going this route to avoid nfa laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wonder why a barrel company hasn’t just started cutting short barrels with straight not-rifling instead of twist rifling...
    Maybe some extra intelligent person will realize the potential there. Oh wait....

Seriously, unless there’s a patent (which will run out soon enough), somebody could stand to make some change producing the barrels so peeps could build optional uppers. The only problem I foresee is how to tell whether or not the barrel is rifled or not without close inspection, which may not happen if an authoritative figure challenges the legality of said rifle.
    I think it’s just a matter of time before the ATF or Congress decides to outlaw these short barreled firearms along with the shotgun pistols like was done with the bumpstocks. So I wouldn’t invest too much.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I may be way off here but I think one problem with short barrel .556 was lack of velocity kept bullets from fragmenting when they struck targets and yawed . If that is the case then is a short barrel going to produce enough velocity for the bullet to fragment when it is already sideways or will it just continue right on through? Too thin of a jacket and it could show poor penetration . I think a solid point and large hollow based bullet designed to expand rapidly when traveling backwards would be pre impressive out of this gun .

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I may be way off here but I think one problem with short barrel .556 was lack of velocity kept bullets from fragmenting when they struck targets and yawed . If that is the case then is a short barrel going to produce enough velocity for the bullet to fragment when it is already sideways or will it just continue right on through? Too thin of a jacket and it could show poor penetration . I think a solid point and large hollow based bullet designed to expand rapidly when traveling backwards would be pre impressive out of this gun .

Results may vary but here’s a guide that’s real close
    855 ammo doesn’t reach it’s potential from a 16 inch barrel but tops out from a 20 inch.
    At about 2950 fps
    16 inch=2750
    10 inch=2550
    8 inch=2350

193 ammo has similar results
    55gr
    16 inch=2900fps
    12 inch=2650
    10 inch=2500
    8 inch=2300

So, yes, a good bit slower as expected but far greater than pistol calibers.
    If I was concerned about expansion etc I’d opt for a better bullet than mil surp FMJ.
    I was able to procure a block of federal FBI loads that are soft tip and made to perform well from a SBR. I would think most of the poly tipped ammo would be better than FMJ as well.
    How far out they will fly tip first from the weapon in question remains to be seen, but I’d bet plenty far enough to be effective. Personally, if I were thinking a battle type situation I’d want a rifle for anything past 100 feet.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    That is what I wonder ,if shot at 10 yards is it going to enter tip first or yaw before it gets through the jacket ( hoody ) if it hits sideways there isn't enough speed for typical FMJ to fragment and even varmint bullets are not going to mushroom if they don't enter nose first. I feel for it to be effective at close to kinda close range both you need a special bullet designed. It would be interesting to see how it worked out in a . 45caliber. Plated bullet .
    Results may vary but here’s a guide that’s real close
    855 ammo doesn’t reach it’s potential from a 16 inch barrel but tops out from a 20 inch.
    At about 2950 fps
    16 inch=2750
    10 inch=2550
    8 inch=2350

193 ammo has similar results
    55gr
    16 inch=2900fps
    12 inch=2650
    10 inch=2500
    8 inch=2300

So, yes, a good bit slower as expected but far greater than pistol calibers.
    If I was concerned about expansion etc I’d opt for a better bullet than mil surp FMJ.
    I was able to procure a block of federal FBI loads that are soft tip and made to perform well from a SBR. I would think most of the poly tipped ammo would be better than FMJ as well.
    How far out they will fly tip first from the weapon in question remains to be seen, but I’d bet plenty far enough to be effective. Personally, if I were thinking a battle type situation I’d want a rifle for anything past 100 feet.

Aurellevi

Intermediate
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Denham Springs
    Military arms channel recently tested this weapon and had consistent keyholing at all distances. They think it is not a viable option for lethality at 50 yards. With that being said, it's still a neat "toy".

Top Bottom