Cop shoots tiny chihuahua in owners yard on video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I come into contact with dogs a lot at work. I’ve made it over 20 years without shooting a dog. I’ve noticed there is a rather large chunk of the population that have a completely unreasonable fear of dogs. Same with snakes.

I don’t get it.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I actually thought it was going to be the other thread that spiraled out of control into LEO hate. Can I put $5 on this one bringing the ban hammer?

I hope it doesn't bring the BH -- I had 2 reasons for the post of this thread;
    1. To show the incident.....
    2. The main reason was to start a discussion about what would be a proper response from the homeowner.

One thing I have learned from the many CCW classes that I have attended -- every scenario is different. Take these scenarios and think about what your reaction would be. In this case it was a dog....But what if the police walks up and shoots your child who startled him? Are you justified to return fire at that point? Is your life in danger? What if it was a bad shot and he lowers his weapon, do you still shoot? (Obviously not, but in a fit of rage it may happen). As I stated on an earlier post, it is instances like this that could make a good citizen make some really bad decisions. Bad Stuff.

JZ

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I hope it doesn't bring the BH -- I had 2 reasons for the post of this thread;
    1. To show the incident.....
    2. The main reason was to start a discussion about what would be a proper response from the homeowner.

One thing I have learned from the many CCW classes that I have attended -- every scenario is different. Take these scenarios and think about what your reaction would be. In this case it was a dog....But what if the police walks up and shoots your child who startled him? Are you justified to return fire at that point? Is your life in danger? What if it was a bad shot and he lowers his weapon, do you still shoot? (Obviously not, but in a fit of rage it may happen). As I stated on an earlier post, it is instances like this that could make a good citizen make some really bad decisions. Bad Stuff.

JZ

The proper response would have been complying with the police from the start and dealing with possible repercussions later. I am in no way saying the cop was in any way justified in shooting the dog, but had he 100% complied and worked with the officer from the get-go, the situation would have ended differently.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The proper response would have been complying with the police from the start and dealing with possible repercussions later. I am in no way saying the cop was in any way justified in shooting the dog, but had he 100% complied and worked with the officer from the get-go, the situation would have ended differently.

Exactly. Now we are talking about “what if a cop killed your kid”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Exactly. Now we are talking about *what if a cop killed your kid*.

I don't think we need to even entertain that discussion. It's entirely fruitless and will not benefit anyone here or the forum as a whole.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013

From the video I saw it didn't seem the guy was given a chance to "comply" -- The cop says "do you want to step to the road" and guy replies "no I do not want to step to the road". What is he supposed to do, run out and give the cop a BJ?

BTW - anyone figure out what the LEO was doing there in the 1st place?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From the video I saw it didn't seem the guy was given a chance to "comply" -- The cop says "do you want to step to the road" and guy replies "no I do not want to step to the road". What is he supposed to do, run out and give the cop a BJ?

He was asked a question. Do you feel the only 2 answers are "no" and giving the cop a bj? Might there be at least one other option? Could he have said "ok"? If the cop gave him time to answer the question and the guy answered the question, he had time to comply.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    He was asked a question. Do you feel the only 2 answers are "no" and giving the cop a bj? Might there be at least one other option? Could he have said "ok"? If the cop gave him time to answer the question and the guy answered the question, he had time to comply.

Yeah, I guess you are right. Comply or face the consequences. Thank God for vid cameras or that LEO would still be out there doing these things.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I watch the 3 minute video on Live Leak. The cop asked him to walk to the road and the guy refused. The cop told the guy he would walk to the guy but would shoot the dog if the dog got aggressive. The cop then asked the guy again to walk to the road. Again the guy said no. The cop shot the dog about :30 into the video.

Based on what the guy said, he may have been the one who called the police. He doesn't say that but he tells the cop some woman pointed a gun at him and they should check her out. The cop said they made contact with her and she has a concealed carry permit. So I'm guessing either the guy called as a victim or a neighbor heard the commotion and called. What I found interesting is the guy appeared to be pissed about the woman pointing a gun at him but wasn't interested in talking to the cops away from his house.

None of the above excuses the cop's actions. There were multiple chances on the part of both people to turn the outcome in a different direction. I would say, based on how quick the second cop showed up, the second cop was already in route. The first cop could have easily waited for the second cop. Not everyone responds to every cop in the same way. One cop might get nowhere with someone but his partner may get that someone to open up. I think the first cop had an "how dare he tell me no" mindset.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I watch the 3 minute video on Live Leak. The cop asked him to walk to the road and the guy refused. The cop told the guy he would walk to the guy but would shoot the dog if the dog got aggressive. The cop then asked the guy again to walk to the road. Again the guy said no. The cop shot the dog about :30 into the video.

Based on what the guy said, he may have been the one who called the police. He doesn't say that but he tells the cop some woman pointed a gun at him and they should check her out. The cop said they made contact with her and she has a concealed carry permit. So I'm guessing either the guy called as a victim or a neighbor heard the commotion and called. What I found interesting is the guy appeared to be pissed about the woman pointing a gun at him but wasn't interested in talking to the cops away from his house.

None of the above excuses the cop's actions. There were multiple chances on the part of both people to turn the outcome in a different direction. I would say, based on how quick the second cop showed up, the second cop was already in route. The first cop could have easily waited for the second cop. Not everyone responds to every cop in the same way. One cop might get nowhere with someone but his partner may get that someone to open up. I think the first cop had an "how dare he tell me no" mindset.

Yep, good analogy and I'm not using a broad brush to paint all LEO's like this POS. The crazy thing is the homeowner called the police to report an incident, he wasn't the "bad guy".....so why was the LEO coming off as a "badass" to the guy (i.e. taxpayer) requesting they look into a situation. This LEO is why attitudes towards police go south.....damn shame.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yep, good analogy and I'm not using a broad brush to paint all LEO's like this POS. The crazy thing is the homeowner called the police to report an incident, he wasn't the "bad guy".....so why was the LEO coming off as a "badass" to the guy (i.e. taxpayer) requesting they look into a situation. This LEO is why attitudes towards police go south.....damn shame.

You would be surprised how many people that call the police are the ones that actually end up having to go to jail. Just because you call the police that doesn’t automatically make you an innocent victim. You seem to have it all figured out so I’ll just sit back and watch you educate us.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yeah, I guess you are right. Comply or face the consequences. Thank God for vid cameras or that LEO would still be out there doing these things.

Ok

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Just a few words on that whole taxpayer thing:
    -Good guy and bad guys pay taxes.
    -You don't have a choice, you're not "paying my salary" voluntarily out of the kindness of your heart.
    -The amount of money you contribute to my paycheck is statistically insignificant. If you were paying my salary voluntarily and decided to stop, I would never notice.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    You seem to have it all figured out so I’ll just sit back and watch you educate us.

was this comment called for? Did I ever state in any of my threads that ALL LEO's are bad in any way shape or form?

If you are sitting back, here is your education -- This particular LEO did a bad thing by getting mad because he had to walk from the street to the taxpayer's front door to discuss a situation, on the way to the door he shot a defenseless chihuahua, it was a bad shot, uncalled for. Actions like this strains relations between citizens and LEOs. This act could make the avg. Joe citizen make bad decisions too. In this case the citizen didn't and the LEO was fired from his job and I hope he finds another means of employment.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    In the first article, the sheriff department stated the deputies were dispatched for an *aggressive dog* call.

9# or 50# dog being aggressive can still f you up.

Same as most other leo shootings; should have complied to the officers orders, like it or not.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I keep reading the same thing, 'should have complied', as though it is the homeowner's fault the dog was shot.

Let's be perfectly clear. That cop was in NO WAY justified in shooting that dog.

Let's also be perfectly clear. That cop was in NO WAY representative of the cops I know and call friends.

As I said before, this individual should never be trusted with a firearm, ever again. He has demonstrated a propensity to use it in a manner inconsistent with the law.

I hope that individual never finds work again. Not as a peace officer, not as a waiter, not as a fry cook at McDonalds. I sure wouldn't hire him. This should follow him to an early grave.

He has done a disservice to his profession, his department, and his family.

Yes. I am judging him for this ONE mistake. I doubt it is an aberration. I suspect that it is evidence of a pattern of abuse, that hereto has gone unreported.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom