Cop shoots tiny chihuahua in owners yard on video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Austin -- I don't think there is anything else to add in this thread -- everybody has had a chance to say their piece, and while there are differences, at least for the most part the dialogue was respectful.

So, I think it is time to lock this one and we can push on to the next topic......maybe a Saints game prediction? Maybe a pick a date that the Gov't shutdown will end? Grass vs Artificial Turf? hahaha

I don't think we should close the thread because you don't want to participate any more. You are welcome to ignore any posts in this thread. The fact it was for the most part respectful is the reason the post should remain open. Leaving this thread open does not keep you from pushing on to the next topic. Feel free to post a thread about anything, or just about anything, you'd like to move on to. But I don't believe we should get in the habit of closing old or long civil threads. It sends the message that the site determines what can be discussed and how long it can be discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You could have the thread titled,*Local LEO curb stomps puppy, claims self defense* and you would have a majority of people on here defending the actions of that officer. Never fails
    I don't think the majority defended the officer. It looks like maybe one... Out of 150ish...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You could have the thread titled,*Local LEO curb stomps puppy, claims self defense* and you would have a majority of people on here defending the actions of that officer. Never fails

Sir, with all due respect, did you even read the posts in this thread? Your comment suggests that you did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    You may want to read at least the 1st post, look at the video and then comment. This is more of a "failure to maintain a LEO".

I reread the 1st post, clicked the link and watched the vid. A good suggestion, as my comments in my last post were generically related to dealing with a dog and the philosophical ramifications of placing an animals life over the well being of a human.

Vid did not show the entire situation, so hard to determine what was going on. The cop did not kill the dog, which I was not aware off until I read the updates to the story in the link. The dog was "going" for him and barking, but he could have kicked it away... it was a small dog. I have a feeling if this vid showed a pit bull or large dog barking and going for the cop we would not be having this discussion.

It was not a clean shot, and not likely needed, but the owner of the home did have his dogs in his front yard, and they were not on a leash, nor was his yard fenced. If the officer had shot the dog 5 feet away on the public street he would have been completely in the right, no questions asked...

Definitely failure to maintain dog...

I have had this discussion with numerous dog owners. If you allow your property (dog) to roam around and it causes an issue, you are liable for it. I have been told "my dog is well trained and would never go out in the street" and i call BS on that. I don't care how well trained a dog is, put a squirrel or a cat in the road and 9 out of 10 dogs will chase it, and ignore the "imaginary boundary" of an open front yard. We have leash laws and fences for a reason. Just cause a dog owner is too cheap to put up a fence does not give him the right to have a loose dog roaming the yard...

The home owner did seem quite worked up as the vid started, and according to the story the officer was there responding to an "aggressive dog call"... While a yappy small dog could hardly be called much more than a nuisance (which is still a problem if it is bothering neighbors - disturbing the peace or similar) to an adult, a small child playing in the adjacent yard could have been harmed by a dog that size. We just don't have the full story, the cop could have been telling the owner to bring the dogs inside and that the owner was not allowed to have loose dogs in the front yard. The owner could have said that he can do whatever he wants in his own yard (sounds like something he would say, given the tone of the vid). The matter went from bad to worse...

I do agree that the cop should have called animal control, and then alerted the neighbors to stay inside untill the offending dog was removed. Perhaps then the dog owner would have realized that he was in the wrong.

I feel that there is a mental disconnect with a lot of pet owners. They love their pet and their pet "loves, likes, or whatever feelings pets have", them back. However most people have a dog for some sort of "protection concept" be it actually having a dog that will bite or just using the noise a dog makes to dissuade "bad guys" from entering their home. But they are fine with letting their dog run free because it has never bit them, although they would want it to attack another person "if need be". This is the "pet owner paradox".

The dog does not have the mental capabilities to decide when and where it should attack, and I do not feel it is fair to place that burden on a lower life form such as the dog. I would not "bet my life" on the cognitive reasoning of a dog. Pet owners often do this...with other peoples lives or well being. Dog attacks are a real thing, I know at least 5 people who have been mauled, including a 6 yr old girl and a 4yr old boy who have permanent facial scars to prove it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It was not a clean shot, and not likely needed, but the owner of the home did have his dogs in his front yard, and they were not on a leash, nor was his yard fenced.

Just to clarify, I remember hearing the guy in the video say, I believe twice, the dogs were not his.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I reread the 1st post, clicked the link and watched the vid. A good suggestion, as my comments in my last post were generically related to dealing with a dog and the philosophical ramifications of placing an animals life over the well being of a human.

Vid did not show the entire situation, so hard to determine what was going on. The cop did not kill the dog, which I was not aware off until I read the updates to the story in the link. The dog was "going" for him and barking, but he could have kicked it away... it was a small dog. I have a feeling if this vid showed a pit bull or large dog barking and going for the cop we would not be having this discussion.

It was not a clean shot, and not likely needed, but the owner of the home did have his dogs in his front yard, and they were not on a leash, nor was his yard fenced. If the officer had shot the dog 5 feet away on the public street he would have been completely in the right, no questions asked...

Definitely failure to maintain dog...

I have had this discussion with numerous dog owners. If you allow your property (dog) to roam around and it causes an issue, you are liable for it. I have been told "my dog is well trained and would never go out in the street" and i call BS on that. I don't care how well trained a dog is, put a squirrel or a cat in the road and 9 out of 10 dogs will chase it, and ignore the "imaginary boundary" of an open front yard. We have leash laws and fences for a reason. Just cause a dog owner is too cheap to put up a fence does not give him the right to have a loose dog roaming the yard...

The home owner did seem quite worked up as the vid started, and according to the story the officer was there responding to an "aggressive dog call"... While a yappy small dog could hardly be called much more than a nuisance (which is still a problem if it is bothering neighbors - disturbing the peace or similar) to an adult, a small child playing in the adjacent yard could have been harmed by a dog that size. We just don't have the full story, the cop could have been telling the owner to bring the dogs inside and that the owner was not allowed to have loose dogs in the front yard. The owner could have said that he can do whatever he wants in his own yard (sounds like something he would say, given the tone of the vid). The matter went from bad to worse...

I do agree that the cop should have called animal control, and then alerted the neighbors to stay inside untill the offending dog was removed. Perhaps then the dog owner would have realized that he was in the wrong.

I feel that there is a mental disconnect with a lot of pet owners. They love their pet and their pet "loves, likes, or whatever feelings pets have", them back. However most people have a dog for some sort of "protection concept" be it actually having a dog that will bite or just using the noise a dog makes to dissuade "bad guys" from entering their home. But they are fine with letting their dog run free because it has never bit them, although they would want it to attack another person "if need be". This is the "pet owner paradox".

The dog does not have the mental capabilities to decide when and where it should attack, and I do not feel it is fair to place that burden on a lower life form such as the dog. I would not "bet my life" on the cognitive reasoning of a dog. Pet owners often do this...with other peoples lives or well being. Dog attacks are a real thing, I know at least 5 people who have been mauled, including a 6 yr old girl and a 4yr old boy who have permanent facial scars to prove it.

There is no doubt that too many pet owners are irresponsible but that’s not what this thread is about. I’ve faced down quite a few big and little dogs charging me. I have never felt the need to shoot any one of them. I have however wanted to kill a stray or two over the years for distroying my personal property but good judgment has always prevailed.

I personally secure my lab with an in-ground deterrent she can’t go within 100 foot of the road, and there have been numerous instances where strays and dogs being walked have passed right on by and she wouldn’t give them the time of day. She is 13 years old and is pretty docile at this point, but occasionally a new delivery driver finds her too intimidating. I really can’t imagine why except for an illogical fear, as she doesn’t bark and she will rarely gets further than about 40 foot of the front porch.

Yes maulings happen, and yes there are a-hole dogs just like people, but the ankle-biter in question posed no threat to anyone at the moment the officer attempted to put it down.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Didn't he also say, "you shot my dog"

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did not hear that, that would be an interesting twist. It would be nice to hear the complete story, but that will likely never happen.

Gator posted a link to a 3 minute version in post 66.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=97wpw_1546717699

The cop opens with something like "get your dog" and the guy replies with "not my dog".

At 1:26, the cop says "that's how your dog got shot" and the guy replies "that's not my dog".

When the cop says the guy said it was his dog, the guy denies he ever said it was his dog. The guy never said "shot my dog". He said "shot that dog".

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Gotcha.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I just watched the video for the first time and #1 the man is an idiot for not putting his dogs up and the cop would have been in his rights to say 'contain your dogs or I will arrested you because they a creating a distraction that makes me feel unsafe .' #2 if he had shot my dog he would have died before he hit the ground . I may or may not spend time for it because when he did something so irrational and violent I felt my life was in danger . Either way he would be dead . I know this may make some of my Leo buddies mad but our local sheriff agrees with me and would have fired him immediately. Again the man may or may not have needed shot but the dog didn't.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just watched the video for the first time and #1 the man is an idiot for not putting his dogs up and the cop would have been in his rights to say 'contain your dogs or I will arrested you because they a creating a distraction that makes me feel unsafe .' #2 if he had shot my dog he would have died before he hit the ground . I may or may not spend time for it because when he did something so irrational and violent I felt my life was in danger . Either way he would be dead . I know this may make some of my Leo buddies mad but our local sheriff agrees with me and would have fired him immediately. Again the man may or may not have needed shot but the dog didn't.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Sir, if you feel you have the skills to draw a weapon and get on target before a trained LEO with his weapon already drawn can squeeze off a few rounds in your direction, more power to you. But I feel, while your intentions may be noble, your actions would result in something other than what you had hoped for.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sir, if you feel you have the skills to draw a weapon and get on target before a trained LEO with his weapon already drawn can squeeze off a few rounds in your direction, more power to you. But I feel, while your intentions may be noble, your actions would result in something other than what you had hoped for.
    I wouldn't call anything about that noble. A dog isn't worth anyone dying over.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Agreed best of luck to anyone foolish enough to draw on someone who has already drawn.

I wouldn't call anything about that noble. A dog isn't worth anyone dying over.

Noble maybe not, but even though my dogs life isn’t worth a humans, taking it by gun in front of me doesn’t give me any warm fuzzies about your intentions.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Unfortunately this thread will no longer continue giving. Well, maybe not unfortunately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom