Join BayouShooter For Free

User Info Menu

Unique deer processing

Over Thanksgiving, while visiting family in MS, i knocked a couple of deer down. We decided to take them to the local processor because they had an option i hadnt heard of. That option was a burrito. We have since gotten them back and they are fantastic. It is a nice change from sausage, cube steak, hamburger, etc.

I have attached a quick pic of the burritos fixed up with queso cheese and chilli. Damn good stuff.

So, my question is... have you guys found any processors that offer interesting options like that? And if so, what is the option?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190110_064556.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	83092  

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels4 View Post
    Over Thanksgiving, while visiting family in MS, i knocked a couple of deer down. We decided to take them to the local processor because they had an option i hadnt heard of. That option was a burrito. We have since gotten them back and they are fantastic. It is a nice change from sausage, cube steak, hamburger, etc.

I have attached a quick pic of the burritos fixed up with queso cheese and chilli. Damn good stuff.

So, my question is... have you guys found any processors that offer interesting options like that? And if so, what is the option?
    Yep,That looks pretty nasty....Better send the meat to me for disposal...You can thank me later!!!

Tamales man!! I had some guy in Houma make deer tamales a couple of times, Very nice! Same guy who makes Mickey Brown's !
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Yep,That looks pretty nasty....Better send the meat to me for disposal...You can thank me later!!!

Tamales man!! I had some guy in Houma make deer tamales a couple of times, Very nice! Same guy who makes Mickey Brown's !
    Lol i will send it right over. Dang, i didnt think about tamales... i bet those are pretty good too!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post

Mickey Brown's is awesome! Especially the tamales and burritos!

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiollib View Post
    Mickey Brown's is awesome! Especially the tamales and burritos!
    Right on! He used to take 25#s of deer meat and do a mix with beef,Also he would do some with cheese! Wish I still lived there at times!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I opted for boudin, snack sticks, summer sausage, pan sausage and smoked sausage this year....along with the tenderized steaks.

Probably get one more hunting opportunity this season and don't know what I will do with that....but at least I have several options that have been test tasted!

Got plenty of chili meat from last year, too....started out with 55 pounds!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
    I opted for boudin, snack sticks, summer sausage, pan sausage and smoked sausage this year....along with the tenderized steaks.

Probably get one more hunting opportunity this season and don't know what I will do with that....but at least I have several options that have been test tasted!

Got plenty of chili meat from last year, too....started out with 55 pounds!
    55lbs is a good amount of meat. Dang. i also have one more opportunity to hunt this year. If i am lucky enough to knock one down, i am not sure what i will choose when processing. Already went with cube steak, ground meat, sausage, breakfast sausage and of course.. burritos.

What's 'Mickey Brown'? Is that a processing place?
    Last edited by Wheels4; January 11th, 2019 at 06:13 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I find deer is good with 'Mexican' flavors. Jalapeno, cumin & whitetail are a great combination.