History buffs answer the call !!! Getting there. More pics added.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I found a broken bottle in the woods around our camp. It’s broken above the label and the neck is gone. The wording on the glass says
    St. Martinsville Bottling Works
    St. Martinsville, LA
    I have a picture for you to look at. I searched the internet but nothing comes up. I know it’s old as the glass is thick and not consistent and there are lots of bubbles in the glass. Modern glass does not have these imperfections like this. I’m going to smooth the top and make a candle with beeswax and put it at the camp on Breaux Bridge.
    6eec5d8745b02da9ce1201b1410e045c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Pretty cool. I know that Coca-Cola has a bottling plant in St Martinsville and another near Lafayette (United). They can probably tell you if you send a pic or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i know alot of people make them into glasses. you get the cutter pretty cheap online and takes 10 mins to cut, and another 10 or so to smooth the edge.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That is a great point about the way it is spelled. I’m assuming at some point it had an *s* in the word. Inquiring minds NEED to know! I think I’m going to call the library.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well I called the library and I figured they would be able to help. They looked up a paper ( Weekly Messenger)that was published in the area from 1886 to 1948 and a copy they have access to that is dated March 20, 1886 has St. Martinville spelled with a *s* in the word. She did not know when the S was removed. One step closer. I know someone on this forum knows someone who knows.

Aurellevi

Intermediate
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    Denham Springs
    Could also cut it with a string and kerosene or acetone. Might cut your mouth if you try to drink from ur but woukd work for a candle.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Well I called the library and I figured they would be able to help. They looked up a paper ( Weekly Messenger)that was published in the area from 1886 to 1948 and a copy they have access to that is dated March 20, 1886 has St. Martinville spelled with a *s* in the word. She did not know when the S was removed. One step closer. I know someone on this forum knows someone who knows.

Try calling the Coca-Cola bottling plant in Lafayette. They've been there since 1919. Website below with contact info.
    https://cocacolaunited.com/locations/lafayette/

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Can you show us a picture of the bottom of the bottle? I have a feeling that this is closer to Civil War era, but the bottom of the bottle will give more clues about its age (especially since the neck and bead are missing).

Mike

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I found a broken bottle in the woods around our camp. It’s broken above the label and the neck is gone.

Look around the area you found that one. You may find more. Might have been used for target practice.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’ll post a photo of the bottom of the bottle when I get home. I’m not going to use it for a glass. It will be a candle.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Here are some more pictures. It’s old, but I’d sure like to find out how old. Thanks for all the replies.
    e27ddaabebc34a19f261ba7bba57d9d2.jpg
    eb523e1bab7bf19e4cb17c6fe11e8c02.jpg
    6b246dfde1dc4d173058d11509baa1a7.jpg
    1575987ba76b76444ffa285ae4535154.jpg

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My gut tells me that this is closer to Civil War era. The bubbles in the glass and the thick base (with little to no pontil scar) all suggest a hand blown bottle with a die used to impress the letters on the front. One of the more collectible bottle makers was John Ryan in Savannah, Georgia, and this bottle exhibits some of the same characteristics as Ryan's work.

A popular thing to bottle and sell during this time was soda water, and that may be what this bottle originally contained.

I did a very quick search through some newspaper archives I have access to and I couldn't find out anything about this specific company. Some more concerted research may turn up something, but I'm thinking the best thing would be to contact the folks at the Louisiana State Archives here in the red stick.

Mike

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA

I have a couple of books about the Bayou Teche and the general area but cannot remember reading about the name change or name standardization.

The first link is a St Martinville newspaper dated 1904. There is no “s”

The second link is to a Civil War era map. It has an “s” in the name.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/194786339/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ief_Top._Eng'rs.,_Feb...._-_NARA_-_305632.jpg

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One more thought ... I wouldn't get too hung up on the spelling used in the 1800's. Exact spellings weren't something that people obsessed over the way they do now. This is one of the reasons why, in genealogical research, it's possible to see so many variations in name spellings (even for the same individual). I doubt that there was some "official" time when the S was dropped ... instead, I'm guessing that alternate spellings were used well into the 1900's.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom