Gillette joining the metoo folks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Probably a lot of guys growing beards these days is hurting their bottom line. Yeah, some trim a bit but don't use up blades as much as shaving every day.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    They should hand out free straight razors to those who would like to just go ahead and get rid of that evil male body part that is the root cause of the toxic masculinity problem. Then they will have no weapon or gun.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well dammit - I have stock in Procter & Gamble......maybe they'll pull a Nike and go up when all of us thought they had screwed the pooch......

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Meh. I don't care.

Honestly, I don't think it's right to harass people in general. I'm not going to harass members of the opposite sex. Y'all are getting to wound up in the wrong fights.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Meh. I don't care.

Honestly, I don't think it's right to harass people in general. I'm not going to harass members of the opposite sex. Y'all are getting to wound up in the wrong fights.

Not gonna get upset. Joining the Dollar Shave Club. They sponsor Louder with Crowder a conservative show. Voting with my wallet and supporting like minded companies.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Just curious how many watched the ad before commenting?

I did. Gillette should stick to marketing razors. Not proselytizing the left agenda. After the false attacks by the MeeToo movement et al propagated against Justice Brett Kavanaugh I try to distance myself as far away from these deluded radicals as I can. No one will argue bullying and sexual abuse is wrong. Teaching respect for women starts at home by a father participating in raising his children. The left have destroyed many families with their single mother welfare model. Seventy-five percent of black children live in homes with no father. And the left wonder why we have these social ills? The MeeToo agenda goes far beyond bullying and rape. I believe the Senate democrats who went after Justice Kavanaugh exemplify bullying and abuse of power. With zero physical evidence they tried to destroy this man's life and reputation. Hence I will speak with my wallet.

Last edited:

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I watched it and was completely livid that they would categorize "Men" like that. I don't and have never done anything that was portrayed in the commercial so, am I the exception that makes the rule? Hell, no, there are millions and millions of men that don't do any of that and, guess what? We buy shaving products.

I will never buy anything from Gillette ever again. I have used the same Gillette razor since 1976 but, luckily my wife bought me a new one for Christmas.(GBS Grooming Set) I was going to keep my Gillette but, now it goes in the dump.

Well, I have to go beat my wife and children now so, I'll talk to you guys later.:bigok:

Al

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The commercial argues for men to be more compassionate, and not to glamorize the sexual objectification of women, bullying, and other "boys will be boys" behaviors that have been ignored (and in some cases, cheered on) for centuries. I didn't see it as an indictment of masculinity in general, but rather a specific set of behaviors that are quickly falling out of vogue.

Perhaps I'm seeing this wrong and I'm happy to have someone show me the errors of my way, but I'm at a loss to understand what the problem is. If I was raising a child I would hope that I would raise him/her with these same values.

And insomuch as the #MeToo movement is concerned ... I've seen enough sexist bullying and belittling to know that this is a real thing. I find it humorous that men would denounce the #MeToo movement ... as if we have any idea what it's like to be put down because of one's gender.

Mike

PS - I've shaved with a safety razor and a straight razor for over 30 years, so I have no skin in the game insomuch as P&G and Gillette is concerned.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    The problem is...the implication that the majority of men are assholes and that they are here to teach me how to be and act. They sell razor blade for Christs sake. They need to shut the hell up and sell razor blades.

I took it as accusatory in that they are implying that myself and millions of other men are animals. They aren't and a razor commercial is not the place or time for such nonsense.

Al

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The problem is...the implication that the majority of men are assholes and that they are here to teach me how to be and act. They sell razor blade for Christs sake. They need to shut the hell up and sell razor blades.

I took it as accusatory in that they are implying that myself and millions of other men are animals. They aren't and a razor commercial is not the place or time for such nonsense.

Where did they imply that the majority of men are assholes? I didn't feel implicated in the least when I watched it. I think they were just challenging men to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves whether they liked the man looking back. Even the Bible has something to say about this sort of honest self-reflection (1 John 1:9).

I don't particularly love this trend for companies to get on the moral bandwagon and espouse their "values" (especially when there's good evidence that Gillette was mislabeling its products as having been "Made in the USA" when many of them actually weren't), but I also don't think that this was a particularly bad message.

Mike

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I think they need to just worry about selling their product and get out of trying to give moral lessons. They do not know anything about me.

My father raised me to do the right things in life and done a heck of a lot better job than Gillette would have done.

Keep buying their products if you want. It's a free country. I for one will not.

Al

p.s. Over at the Gillette Youtube it has 442k dislikes and only 141k likes so, I am not the only one who gets their message.

Attachments

• gillette.png
      gillette.png
      112.6 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I come from the rugged side of Louisiana where camo isnt a fashion statement, Im a Manly Grizzlybear man, my face hasnt seen direct sunlight in a decade and my beard is half moss and lichens and rusty barbed wire, with a hint of chain saw shavings and bar oil! My razor of choice says Stihl on the side plates, and runs on racing fuel! Aint no manscaping going on here in my household, and i haven't bought a gilette razor since I was 6 and 1/2! My aftershave is a combo of Black Powder and used diesel motor oil, with just a hint of peppermint! Bigfoot come's over for a cuppa coffee every morning,Community that is, and we talk about manly man stuff, like rolling drunks and the qualities of a good Ford Truck's!
    Gillete can suck it!

Top Bottom