NOLA Gun Buy Back, $500

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Looking for New Orleans residents to help a Baton Rouge guy participate in this noble event. I have 3 working 22 long rifles I would be happy to part with, and share proceeds. SO to maximize benefit I would need 3 New Orleans residents from different households.

I've asked for this favor as well, but haven't gotten any takers. haha

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No, I don't.

I guess my question was towards what the law enforcement at the event would consider it. Remember this is New Orleans we're talking about. They can dictate their own laws --- so I've heard.

Jump to 3:03:

Well that’s embarrassing. I assume Whole Foods actually had a sign and the sign was missed?

If the officer did in fact pull a seek attack all parties were lucky this didn’t escalate.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here is the response I got today:

Thank you for reaching out to Mayor Cantrell. The details for the Gun Buy Back this weekend is as follows:

* We are accepting personal weapons ONLY. (Not state or department issued weapons)
    * Someone can bring as many guns as they like; however, you will only receive one payment of $500 CASH.
    * Guns must be in a bag. Do not come with open and exposed weapons.
    * You MUST be an Orleans Parish Resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to this:

The staff at the Mayors Office does NOT know where the funds to be used are coming from.
    When asked how they would cross check the proof of residency if no ID was required, they said and I quote; "It is based on the honor system. The mayor realizes that some people will try to game the system."

That being said, it is not illegal (as written in law), to take advantage of this. If you go as a non-resident with a bogus utility bill and it is discovered; I suspect you could be turned away? But again, if you do not show an ID, how would anyone there know. The mayor of any city cannot decree a "residents only" anything of the top of her head and without legal teeth; and have fakers arrested.

Is it a crime for someone to possess someone else's utility bill as proof of residency on it's face outside of this "impromptu" collection scheme? What if you were turning in the weapon for a buddy that just had to work that day and it was his/her bill? There is no fine print on the explanation of this plan. It is at a church, in the deep hood, and the point is to collect "guns" to get them off the streets of New Orleans.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To add to this:

The staff at the Mayors Office does NOT know where the funds to be used are coming from.
    When asked how they would cross check the proof of residency if no ID was required, they said and I quote; "It is based on the honor system. The mayor realizes that some people will try to game the system."

That being said, it is not illegal (as written in law), to take advantage of this. If you go as a non-resident with a bogus utility bill and it is discovered; I suspect you could be turned away? But again, if you do not show an ID, how would anyone there know. The mayor of any city cannot decree a "residents only" anything of the top of her head and without legal teeth; and have fakers arrested.

Is it a crime for someone to possess someone else's utility bill as proof of residency on it's face outside of this "impromptu" collection scheme? What if you were turning in the weapon for a buddy that just had to work that day and it was his/her bill? There is no fine print on the explanation of this plan. It is at a church, in the deep hood, and the point is to collect "guns" to get them off the streets of New Orleans.

To continue that line of thinking, if they do not ask for ID or proof of residency, they are unlikely to know if a person walking in lives at the same residence as the person walking in behind them or in front of them.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m still interested in what happens to these guns after they are bought. Is there any attempt to cross check with lost or stolen guns, ballistics tests, anything? Kind of seems like a risky move but one could sell a murder weapon *no questions asked*. Do they sell them, distroy them, use them as coasters, what?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have a good friend that has one in evidence since 2009 in Orleans and still can’t get it back. It stolen in a break-in and is now *evidence*. I knew a LT. in the evidence dept that couldn’t even help. I doubt they will even try to reunite these weapons with the rightful owners. I need to reach out and ask if he has it back. I’ve been gone for two years so maybe he has possession now but he seemed to have come to terms he will probably never see it again.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I went to the same church a year ago. It is in the Marigny. It is safe at that time of the day as the bandits will be sleeping in after a long Friday night. The NOPD will be outside in force, so no worries about your safety.
    Last year, the NOPD was very civil and mainly keeping the line moving while making sure that firearms were being handled in a safe manner. It took only a minute to exchange the old .22 rifle for a ticket and then exchange the ticket for a $100 Walmart gift card in the adjacent room. There was a handshake from the District Commander and *thank you* was said by the Councilman from that District and the church Pastor on the way to the door. It seemed to be running like clockwork.
    Overall, it felt very much like a *happy happy joy joy* PR affair. The charisma and positivity of everyone involved was so contagious that I actually felt good about it. Until I got back into the car that is!
    Yes, I am a resident of Orleans Parish.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm on this. So far I've got two Ravens, a Burgo, a rusty Beretta, and a Mossberg Maverick shotgun.

I'm going to get a couple new suppressors.
    Can I have the maverick?
    And I have to find my box of exploded gun parts and effed up barrels. I'm sure I can screw together an AR

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Forecast for the weekend is cold and wet.... I don't know if I want to take my daughter out there in those conditions. Wife will be working overtime this weekend. So no one to watch the kid.

Giguhbyt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2019
    New orleans
    As much as i hate these gun buybacks it is a great deal. I have a mosin nagant or a mossberg shotgun i could bring in. or i could help someone else that's not a resident get in.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As much as i hate these gun buybacks it is a great deal. I have a mosin nagant or a mossberg shotgun i could bring in.
    or i could help someone else that's not a resident get in

That is generous of you. I have a stand-in for myself already. If everyone who commented on this thread was serious, your PM box would be out of space. :dunno:

If ever there was a pistol that should never hit the streets, Look up F.I.E. Titan .25; My sister found it while walking on the levee in N.O. I am turning it in! ;) $

Top Bottom