Buying Used Guns From Cabela's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I intended to go yesterday but put it off till today. I was looking at a used rifle and asked if they could cut off the tie wraps so I could check the action. The guy tells me that since Bass Pro they are no longer allowed to do that, hold guns for a short period of time or even do layaway. So basically buying a used gun from them is like buying it blindly with no idea if it works.

Has anyone here bought a used gun fro Cabela's before or after Bass Pro took over?

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I’ve bought several but all were before Bass Pro started ruining Cabela’s. I never did have an issue with any of the used guns I purchased there. All functioned as new (or maybe even a little better in a couple cases).

BUT...They’ve significantly changed their approach with buying and selling used guns. Not for the better either way. So not sure what you’d get now.

And They’ve done away with the bargain cave. Booo Bass Pro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I bought a few before Bass Pro never a problem. New guns have a return to manufacturer Used has some winnow they Cabela's to take it back so there is some type of Guaranty What that window is I do not know. Call and ask.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I am wondering what changed with their buying of used guns. They never did offer much of anything for any gun that they purchased, so if it's even less than that, you'd have to be a fool to ever sell one there. The used gun racks outside the library used to be double decker and 4 or 5 racks across and 2 deep. Now they might have one rack of used guns at "new" gun prices.
    I have found some bargains in the library from time to time but it's about like shopping at a pawn shop with lots of overpriced stuff and not so great a condition. Most of Cabelas guns are in great condition, just way overpriced.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Alright, it was eating at me and I should have just asked to speak to a manager(gun/used gun manager wasn't there when I was)but I called a while ago and spoke to a manager and asked about their new policies. She said if a gun is bought and has issues they send it to thecompany and have it repaired. If as in this case it's a company that is no longer in business they will send it to a gunsmith for repair. Now I just need to call and see if they still have it tomorrow morning. Now the rifle I looked at today may not have any issues but that won't really be none until after someone purchases it.

hoss

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I did purchase several items from the library before the BP takeover. I also purchased 1 early in the BP policy rollout. They have a different manager now; and given the new rules I am not very likely to purchase again unless it is a unicorn. If I can't cycle the action or check for play in the cylinder I would be very reluctant given the 'new gun' pricing structure with no negotiation...
    Under the current rules, they should operate it like carmax...have the thing completely checked out by a certified and experienced smith and have a 'gunfax' with it so you have some assurances that it wasn't rode hard and put up wet prior to the trade-in.

Sorry, soapbox...

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Well, I was thinking of going back to buy this little Ithaca .22 lever action rifle model 72 Deluxe. Very cool looking little rifle but it was in bad shape. The receiver was supposed to be shiny white(silver colored)but there was not a bit of the shine on it. The stock looked pretty worn but it still was neat looking. But, between the trigger lock, the tie wrap around the lever and the grip and the tie wrap around the hammer it was impossible to check for any play in any of those moving parts. Couldn't open the action to look down the barrel pr anything. I asked the older gentleman in the office of the library if he would cut the tie wraps off to check the action and was told he couldn't do it. You can't tell me that under supervision they can't remove those things and replace them after inspection is done by the customer(or I should say POTENTIAL customer). They'd rather see you walk away instead of doing these simple things to sell that rifle.

Also considering how they probably buy any weapon for much less than value, seeing the price on this little rifle knowing they squeeze you for every penny on used guns I really became weary of the true condition of the rifle. I just wasn't going to gamble on this one and the headaches to get any issues corrected through them.

32995120618_cac6ec5886_b.jpg

Top Bottom