Need Rabbits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcmaguire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Zachary
    I only have 15 acres but there are no rabbits. Anyone know how I could get some rabbits and release them on my property? I'd be willing to purchase if necessary.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    If you don't have rabbits then you may not want to buy more to feed the predators. Take some time to get rid of the coyotes or whatever is eating all the rabbits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Coyotes are nomadic. They can and often travel several miles in a day. On a property that size your efforts to trap or even call in and shoot might cause temporary increase in presence to your property. We have a huge coyote presence at our camp (we have 1,600+/-) but they have tons (I mean tons) of rabbits to eat. We also have some of the biggest bobcats (not anything else, bobcats) I’ve ever seen. Last year I took a 50lb coyote that was beautiful (hoping to get the pelt back soon), they are well fed and bold.

Trapping is the best option, but it needs to be long term. Until your neighbors coyotes are almost nonexistent.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have 55 acres and back in the 80's it was nothing to kill 8-10 rabbits but now if I see one a year it's a big deal. Coyotes, Bob Cats and every other thing that wants to eat them

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Create a brush row or use tree tops, Give the rabbits a place to hide and they will breed more lil bunny's!

Great point rabbits like cover high grass, fence rows, wood lines, ect. I was listening to a podcast the other day put on by the MSU Deer Lab, the were saying the fastest way to increase *fawn recruitment* is to increase cover for fawns. They like it thick about waist high. The rule of thumb the used was if you can throw an orange basketball a few feet into the brush and you can’t see it’s good enough. If you can let a field get waist high by summer you would be doing the deer and rabbits a favor. Thick cover at the wood line is definitely rabbit territory.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Create a brush row or use tree tops, Give the rabbits a place to hide and they will breed more lil bunny's!

Great point rabbits like cover high grass, fence rows, wood lines, ect. I was listening to a podcast the other day put on by the MSU Deer Lab, the were saying the fastest way to increase *fawn recruitment* is to increase cover for fawns. They like it thick about waist high. The rule of thumb the used was if you can throw an orange basketball a few feet into the brush and you can’t see it’s good enough. If you can let a field get waist high by summer you would be doing the deer and rabbits a favor. Thick cover at the wood line is definitely rabbit territory.

This^ is the most essential thing you can do to establish rabbits. Anyplace that had rabbits at one time, but doesn't now, almost always is thinned out, or the brush has been starved of sunlight by growing trees, etc.

Anything you can do to establish thick brush and understory is your best option. If you have non-food trees (no matter how big or small), cut them down. All of them. They serve no useful purpose for ANY game. Fertilize any patches that get sunlight (even if lightly). Grow things if possible; like briars, and other plush or vine-like vegetation. The thicker the better!

This is why marsh rabbits are so much more prevalent than cotton-tails. If you've ever gotten down on your hands and knees to look for a wounded duck in the marsh; you saw exactly what they want/need! ;)

Last edited:

usmcmaguire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Zachary
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. I have lots of thick brush and cover for the rabbits. Coyotes were a daily occurrence but i have been taking them out. So y'all think rabbits will naturally come back to the area when there is not a threat of coyotes?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Did your area flood in 2016? if so, the population may take awhile to come back naturally. If you didn't flood, you probably have wild rabbits around, but just never see them. If you have good feed and cover available during ALL seasons, and you or your neighbors don't let housecats outside ever, the rabbits will do ok against the natural predators.

This is not the time of year to buy or release rabbits for stocking. You'll want to wait for at least late spring and want free-ranging rabbits from field trail grounds. You don't want to buy pen-raised rabbits, as they will quickly die off. With only 15 acres, be advised that any rabbits you release will probably not stay on your property very long, unless you have a rabbit-proof fence. You also run the risk of bringing in new parasites or diseases to whatever wild rabbits are in your area.

usmcmaguire

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Zachary
    The area did flood in 2016. I've only been here since last April. Tons of other animals but I have never ever seen a rabbit. I walk my dog almost everyday on the property. Lots of high bush and thickets for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom