Concealed or disguised handgun safe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Not sure if this is the proper place for this thread so apologies if so, but I’m in the market for a handgun safe that is disguised as something else, i.e. a clock, mirror, framed picture, wall shelf, etc. My gun safe is at the opposite end of my home and I would like to keep my pistol locked in my bedroom; something easily and quickly accessible but also a quality product. Anyone have any first hand experience with something like this and can recommend something? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The problem with a lot of those *hiding in plain sight* pieces of furniture is the bad guys get the same internet you do, and sense they don’t have to work like the rest of us the can spend more time looking at those items. There are some really cool pieces of furniture that might not be so conspicuous, but just like a safe you are just buy time. The best advice I was given on this subject was put everything in the safe except the gun you carry everyday and when you are awake wear it. If you you have kids stashing it in a drawer at night is probably not prudent but somewhere close to your bed but out of reach is probably you best and cheapest option. I personally like some of the night tables with false bottoms and sides. But a good magnet mounted to the back of your headboard is probably just as effective.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Bingo. Kids are the main issue here so stashing it in my night stand is not an option. This gun in not concealed carry and stays in the home.

I’m less worried about thieves breaking in because we live in a good neighborhood (I know any house in any neighborhood can get broken into though) and we have an alarm. This would be more as a disguise to fool family and friends.

All the other guns and valuables will remain in the big safe

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Why not a speed safe in a closet or bolted to a dresser or bed frame?

https://www.lawmens.com/gunvault-sp...MIiJeW_eqC4AIVBLjACh3wIgygEAQYBiABEgKVEPD_BwE

I bought two of these last year when they were on sale at Costco for 60 bucks I think.

Another cheap option is a homak wall safe, I put on in at my old house. Super easy to install, can be defeated with enough time and a pry bar but should keep your kids out of harms way.

Besides that, you may want to look into tactical walls

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Actually, those all make sense for different spots in the master closet instead of bedside. I’ll look into some of these.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    That could work but I think I like the Speed Vault biometric safe a little better so I can hide it in the closet. I also like the way the gun is presented when the safe opens

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That could work but I think I like the Speed Vault biometric safe a little better so I can hide it in the closet. I also like the way the gun is presented when the safe opens

I have the non-biometric speed vault, and it fits my glock 19 perfectly. Has two modes (quiet or beeps), and has a light in the inside so when the drawer drops down, its illuminated. I like it a lot. And for the price it couldn't be beat (costco). The mount can be mounted against a wall, but I also believe you can mount it from the top also, which would allow you to screw it into the underside of a desk. The foam holds your gun in there snugly also. Overall I like it quite a bit. But I have large safes within reasonable distances of where I'm normally at at home.

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Thanks for the review noob. Seems like a well thought out safe. The only thing I’m wondering about is how consistent the biometric finger print reader is. So far, the reviews I’ve read have been positive

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have the micro vault, I like it, I can keep a Glock 19 and 43 or Glock 19 and 30s in it at the same time with no issues. Also it’s nice to be able to take it to other rooms or on vacation in the hotel room. I like being able to keep 2 loaded in there, so when/if I leave the house without the family I can conceal carry one and my wife knows there is always a loaded gun in there at her disposal..

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Btw I have had 2 of them now and the first one for about 9 years my 3 boys ages 10,7,4 were thought at a early age about guns and about the safe and not to mess with it, and they have been apart of shooting/cleaning ect and never have I had them digging in my stuff or attempting to get into my safe... as far as kids go, they are only interested in stuff they don’t know about and are new to them... just my thoughts my dad did the same thing and have worked from me as a child and through my children also

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    Btw I have had 2 of them now and the first one for about 9 years my 3 boys ages 10,7,4 were thought at a early age about guns and about the safe and not to mess with it, and they have been apart of shooting/cleaning ect and never have I had them digging in my stuff or attempting to get into my safe... as far as kids go, they are only interested in stuff they don’t know about and are new to them... just my thoughts my dad did the same thing and have worked from me as a child and through my children also

Yes sir.... I’ve done the same with my kids. They’ve all been taught about and experienced fire arms in some way since an early age. I agree that they’re more curious about something if they aren’t familiar with it so exposing them young helps.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Absolutely. I’m a firm believer in exposing them early and often. Set them up for success with clear rules, but help them learn to enjoy shooting and hunting. It’s not just for safety alone; to paraphrase Ronald Ragan we don’t pass this sort stuff down through our DNA. We have to share and teach the traditions we want to keep.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I always worry about electronics and batteries failing. It does have the backup override key, but do you really want to struggle to find the key in a time of need?

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I always worry about electronics and batteries failing. It does have the backup override key, but do you really want to struggle to find the key in a time of need?

Good point, but I like the quick entry so if you want it to work when you need it to work, that battery has to be maintained. No getting around it unless you get a manual lock but that could also slow me down when I’m half asleep in the dark also.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Once upon a time I kept a pistol and flashlight in one of those Sportsman’s Guide hideaway picture frames.
    When the kids became mobile I bought a http://www.fas1safe.com and haven’t looked back. It’s bolted to my bed frame and I haven’t seen a better product that I would consider replacing it with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom