Smoked then BBQ Braised BIG Pork Country Style Ribs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    The other day I wanted to smoke a couple of pork butts for pulled pork. My wife tells me there's a pork butt in the freezer in the laundry room. So I pull it out and put it on a tray to thaw in and head to the outside fridge and I notice it's not a butt but giant pork country ribs. So I still put it in the fridge to thaw. It was so big I knew it would take a few days. So yesterday I figured they were thawed enough to cook. I seasoned them up and put 'em back in the fridge while I got the Keg heated up. I lit the Keg and got it up to a little over 400 degrees, added a nice big chunk of apple wood for smoke and put the meat directly on the cast iron grate to get some smoky goodness. After about half an hour I flipped them so the other side could get a little of the charring and smokiness. Another half hour later I removed the pork and put it in an oval aluminum pan(disposable of course). took the grate out and added another. chunk of apple wood and two sheets of aluminum foil to act as a diffuser but not a heat sink, put the grate back on and the pan of pork on the grate. I added a good bit of BBQ sauce and some water then loosely covered the pan with another sheet of foil. While that was going outside I threw together a potato salad and barbecue baked beans. Two hours later after braising in the BBQ sauce and still taking in some of that smoke the country style ribs(with bone in)were done. The tops had a sticky, candy like bark on them which wasn't dry but moist. I rang the dinner bell(not really a bell but a loud "y'all, dinner is ready"). When serving, the ribs were falling apart. They were dark and my son asked if it was burnt ends but that was just the sauce covering the top of the pan's delicious braised pork. These were some of the best! It was quiet during dinner as everyone was enjoying their meal. Now I still need to get some pork butts to make pulled pork.

31925165737_16de338028_b.jpg

46141504614_721a1e6912_b.jpg

31925165067_c683bb8b12_b.jpg

Last edited:

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Just a heads up for future reference:

I work in Metairie and can be over in time for dinner any night of the week! I can also bring ice cold beer and delicious bourbons.

P.S.
    Will work for leftovers! haha

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Looks good I need Smell A Vision.

Oh man! This was some of the best smelling BBQ pork to dat and I've grilled, smoked and BBQ'd a LOT of pork! Between the apple wood smoke and the sweet sauce it was smelling fantastic. Even this morning I walked past the Keg and it still smelled delicious. I had to check to see if it was still burning lump.

P.S.
    Will work for leftovers! haha

You trade me that Sig and I'll grill, or smoke a bunch of Q for you! Lol........

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Take a picture of a whole one and put a,WTT thread up lol.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Good idea! I went to the outside freezer to pull some pork butts out for smoking and there were none! Gotta get me abojut 4 nice butts for smokin'.
    Just got 2 packs of ribs at Sam's club they had plenty pork butts

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom