Sub $250 scopes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I only have two magnified optics that I can appreciate as decent or better glass. One is a Nikon Buckmaster II 3-9x40 which a bargain of a scope at the $125 price point. The other is a Vortex Viper VPR 6.5-20x50.

The Nikon came with “BDC” and the VPR has mil-dot so in both allow me to make quick holds while hunting.

Now here’s the problem I have two good scopes and five rifles that need magnifying. So I’m looking for something in between the two scopes with a mil-dot or a drop compensation reticle, or something. My eyes suck and I like to see a long ways out so 4-12x is probably the minimum.

Any experiences with this particular type of unicorn?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Some people laugh at Simmons but I have 2 Simmons 44 mag scopes that are equal to my Leopold or vortex in clarity and accuracy of adjustment .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I am probably gonna get some flak for this.
    But it just might be worth your time to look at Ospry Global scopes. They usually are at the Gonzalas gunshow and were just at the Kenner show. I have 4 of their scopes, a 3-9, 4-16, 6-24 and 10-40 and the glass is as good as my Vortex Crossfire 2 in 3-9x40. The longest known distance I have scoped a target is 350 yards and it was a clear sight picture. Before I bought the 10-40x50 scope the vendor and I went outside with it and I looked at stuff at distance, according to him it was about 900 yards out. No regrets so far with any of them.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For that price, I would agree with Nikon or Vortex Crossfire if you have to have a BDC. Also, I have used an Osprey. Great glass for the money, just heavy

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have you looked at the Primary Arms brand? I grabbed on on a blem sale, a 1-6x, to try them out based on a number of positive reviews and was pretty happy with the clarity and construction. The 1x is pretty close to a true 1x with only a small distortion keeping both eyes open. They have a few 4-14x scopes at or below what you're looking to spend and with a few different reticle choices.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nikon or Vortex get my vote. I got plenty of both and I’m always satisfied with them for the cost.
    Vortex has a lifetime warranty and awesome customer service.
    Nikon has a great product and their ‘SpotOn’ app is a really nice plus with or without their BDC line.
    Natchez recently had a sale on ‘refurbished’ P-223 and P-308 scopes for $160-170 so I bought a couple few or so.. 4-12x40 with target turrets is hard to beat for that money.

980667560bdb264ea018eb6392fb8951.jpg

6559f04d9f2c483a9cd26da83a02d1d9.jpg

f06bcee3e50dfe44bdd38194349d90c9.jpg

3f7c7b15eaf593344ae61b5697bde732.jpg

I’ve bought a few of them new as well and the only difference I’ve found is the box they come in.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I am probably gonna get some flak for this.
    But it just might be worth your time to look at Ospry Global scopes. They usually are at the Gonzalas gunshow and were just at the Kenner show. I have 4 of their scopes, a 3-9, 4-16, 6-24 and 10-40 and the glass is as good as my Vortex Crossfire 2 in 3-9x40. The longest known distance I have scoped a target is 350 yards and it was a clear sight picture. Before I bought the 10-40x50 scope the vendor and I went outside with it and I looked at stuff at distance, according to him it was about 900 yards out. No regrets so far with any of them.

For that price, I would agree with Nikon or Vortex Crossfire if you have to have a BDC. Also, I have used an Osprey. Great glass for the money, just heavy

Interesting I’ll do some research Osprey. Weight isn’t that big a concern for the two potential mounting locations. Clear picture in the 500+ range is a factor.

Bdc isn’t necessarily a requirement but something that allows for quick dopes. Target shooting is fun, but hunting is the main use.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Have you looked at the Primary Arms brand? I grabbed on on a blem sale, a 1-6x, to try them out based on a number of positive reviews and was pretty happy with the clarity and construction. The 1x is pretty close to a true 1x with only a small distortion keeping both eyes open. They have a few 4-14x scopes at or below what you're looking to spend and with a few different reticle choices.

I’ll add that to the list.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Nikon or Vortex get my vote. I got plenty of both and I’m always satisfied with them for the cost.
    Vortex has a lifetime warranty and awesome customer service.
    Nikon has a great product and their ‘SpotOn’ app is a really nice plus with or without their BDC line.
    Natchez recently had a sale on ‘refurbished’ P-223 and P-308 scopes for $160-170 so I bought a couple few or so.. 4-12x40 with target turrets is hard to beat for that money.

980667560bdb264ea018eb6392fb8951.jpg

6559f04d9f2c483a9cd26da83a02d1d9.jpg

f06bcee3e50dfe44bdd38194349d90c9.jpg

3f7c7b15eaf593344ae61b5697bde732.jpg

I’ve bought a few of them new as well and the only difference I’ve found is the box they come in.

Thoughts on target turrets for a hunting rifle? I’ve never own a rifle with true target turrets.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    The p 223 is great and the adjustment is dead on at all levels but I have one concern ,you need to tape the turrets in place when you get them set . I try to always check that mine are on 0 but when a big buck walks out or coyote shows there isn't always time and if it's half way around you aren't sure which way are off without a close look . I tear gorilla tape about 1/2 " wide 4" long.
    Thoughts on target turrets for a hunting rifle? I’ve never own a rifle with true target turrets.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The p 223 is great and the adjustment is dead on at all levels but I have one concern ,you need to tape the turrets in place when you get them set . I try to always check that mine are on 0 but when a big buck walks out or coyote shows there isn't always time and if it's half way around you aren't sure which way are off without a close look . I tear gorilla tape about 1/2 " wide 4" long.

I have couple of those and have never had that issue. Do you mean they’re getting bumped and being moved? Mine are the positive click and take a little more than light pressure to turn. you can also lift and turn the dial to zero if you want but they’ve never moved on their own. Maybe gently tighten the Allen head screws on the turrets.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I have couple of those and have never had that issue. Do you mean they’re getting bumped and being moved? Mine are the positive click and take a little more than light pressure to turn. you can also lift and turn the dial to zero if you want but they’ve never moved on their own. Maybe gently tighten the Allen head screws on the turrets.

I’m rough on equipment, so...

But seriously I’m a hunter and stuff get bopped and banged and knocked about.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    It happens if you pull a gun out of a gun case or even pulling through brush . The p223 is a good scope and would be a great scope I'd it cam with locking or covered turrets .
    I’m rough on equipment, so...

But seriously I’m a hunter and stuff get bopped and banged and knocked about.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When I hunted West Texas I used a 20x target style scope on a Mk V .270 Weatherby mag and liked it a lot, but target turrets aren’t a deal breaker either way on a hunting rifle scope.
    Nikon makes plenty of offerings without the turrets. The P series is just some of their Prostaff line, the M series is their Monarch. You could find a high power large objective Prostaff well within your price range, most being less than $200.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    the Primary Arms is a solid scope that tracks true. Plus it is Mil-Mil FFP at that price it is always on the top of the list for bargain scopes with those features.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming. Especially the first hand experiences. The more I google search my options the more I hate the internet. The extremes are laughable. Its nothing new to me but it is wat it is.

I ideally want more light, magnification, and clarity than my buckmaster but want to stay close to the previous mentioned budget.

There is is also this primary arms scope

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-16x44-sfp-riflescope-mil-dot-reticle

Top Bottom