Out of State Gun Buying...... Scam or What?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The language is always a giveaway. Don't ever do an individual sale thru the mail unless you are ok with losing the payment or the merch.

The language is off for a reason. If you pick up on the language, you are probably too educated to fall for it and are not their target and they've lost nothing, other than a small amount of time, by sending you the email. Their targets are the people who do not pick up on the off language. There was a pretty good chapter about that in ethe sequel to Freakonomics, Think Like a Freak. The audiobooks are make for great listening if you spend a bit of time in your car.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-nigerian-scam-emails-are-obvious-2014-5
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/82814/secretly-smart-reason-scam-emails-are-poorly-written

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    "Alright, I'm selling a few guns and decided to put one of them up for sale on a national website(actually with the intention of only selling it within Louisana). I get an email from some guy saying...... well, here it is......"

Why post it for sale on a national website if you are only interest in selling it within Louisiana? Did you say in your post that you would only sell to a buyer in Louisiana? If so, I would have just used that as an excuse not to sell to the guy in WA.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The language is always a giveaway. Don't ever do an individual sale thru the mail unless you are ok with losing the payment or the merch.
    But we’ve already had a couple of outstanding BS members say the buyer should be good to go....completely bell and whistle free bro.
    Besides the obvious foreign English indicators, the fact that the buyer wannabe is laying out or directing the plan for the deal instead of asking what the process should be or asking how to proceed. I realize there’s a sucker born every minute, but if anyone here really believes that this is a legit buyer......and is so willing to nudge the seller into a risky venture (putting it mildly) I may just have to change professions and don the cap of the con man..

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    But we’ve already had a couple of outstanding BS members say the buyer should be good to go....completely bell and whistle free bro.
    Besides the obvious foreign English indicators, the fact that the buyer wannabe is laying out or directing the plan for the deal instead of asking what the process should be or asking how to proceed. I realize there’s a sucker born every minute, but if anyone here really believes that this is a legit buyer......and is so willing to nudge the seller into a risky venture (putting it mildly) I may just have to change professions and don the cap of the con man..

Care to buy some beach front property?:mamoru:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Why post it for sale on a national website if you are only interest in selling it within Louisiana? Did you say in your post that you would only sell to a buyer in Louisiana? If so, I would have just used that as an excuse not to sell to the guy in WA.

Simple. Some people don't know about Bayou Shooter for used firearm sales.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Simple. Some people don't know about Bayou Shooter for used firearm sales.
    Okay, I understand that. But like I said, did you mention that you were looking to sell to someone in Louisiana? That would be a good enough reason to deny selling to the guy in Washington. Then you wouldn't have to explain anything else.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lol, no sir, but if you see page 1 of this thread, I think there’s like 2 or 3 suckers lined up.
    Buyers, I meant buyers...

Well let's look at this from the position of the seller to see where they could be the suckers. The buyer is saying he will put up the money up front and have the gun transferred from FFL to FFL. If the money isn't sent, the seller does not ship the gun. The receiving FFL may be in on any scam but I would have to expect they wouldn't have an FFL for long if they were. If that's part of the scam, you would need a constant flow of people and money to pay for FFL after FFL. So if you have the money and the FFL's are legit, where is the problem? The buyer could be using a stolen credit card. The gun would need to be picked up by the time the charge is disputed or the process should be able to be stopped. And if the charge is disputed after being picked up, there is a person who is a part of the scam who has been ID'd. And the scammers would need a steady supply of working credit card numbers to facilitate this on a long term basis. The buyer could be a prohibited person or it could be a straw purchase. That would be covered by the receiving FFL. So what else am I missing? I agree, the language and the multiple emails all saying the same or nearly the same thing is certainly suspect and suggests something illegitimate. But what?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well let's look at this from the position of the seller to see where they could be the suckers. The buyer is saying he will put up the money up front and have the gun transferred from FFL to FFL. If the money isn't sent, the seller does not ship the gun. The receiving FFL may be in on any scam but I would have to expect they wouldn't have an FFL for long if they were. If that's part of the scam, you would need a constant flow of people and money to pay for FFL after FFL. So if you have the money and the FFL's are legit, where is the problem? The buyer could be using a stolen credit card. The gun would need to be picked up by the time the charge is disputed or the process should be able to be stopped. And if the charge is disputed after being picked up, there is a person who is a part of the scam who has been ID'd. And the scammers would need a steady supply of working credit card numbers to facilitate this on a long term basis. The buyer could be a prohibited person or it could be a straw purchase. That would be covered by the receiving FFL. So what else am I missing? I agree, the language and the multiple emails all saying the same or nearly the same thing is certainly suspect and suggests something illegitimate. But what?

But what? Not worth the risk in my opinion. And I have to take into account that just because I’m going thru a FFL does not mean the person handling the transfer can’t be hoodwinked in some manner. I don’t think I want to involve a 3rd party making decisions for me.
    I’d just wait for a local deal without all the hoopla.
    But I’m never desperate to sell a firearm, I can be more selective, I can be more sensible and just move on instead of standing around mulling over the possibility of this snake biting me or not. Well, maybe he won’t. And maybe it’s not really a poisonous snake. Maybe it just looks like one. Lemme just pick it up and see. What could happen? I just want to push the limits for some reason because I don’t want to believe it could possibly be a bad idea. I don’t believe in the old saying, ‘better safe than sorry’. I know there’s just something not right about this situation but maybe not... maybe I’m just being overly cautious. I really don’t think those alarms mean anything. I’m just gonna stand here and tempt fate.
    And when the snake bites me in the face, and my face swells til I can’t breathe will the person that finds me ask, ‘did you not think just once that this was a bad idea?’

SMH

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But blah blah blah

Yeah...we get it...it's a bad idea. I never said it was a good idea. I asked if anyone could theorize what the scam could be. And you sure typed a lot for not addressing the question.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    As someone who was once scammed many years ago, I would stay away from this completely. Why risk it when you should have no problem selling the firearm locally? It's not worth it. Too long to type here, but the scam that got me seemed completely legit (not like the emails you've gotten). They guy even sent me a copy of his CHP, a legit FFL who I even called to make sure the info wasn't fake, etc... Blah blah I got got. You live and learn. Ever since then, I don't even entertain anything sketchy at all. Don't make a mistake you'll regret. Ignore those sketchy emails. If you're that desperate for cash, just pawn the damn thing. Obviously they won't give you as much as you want, but at least it's cash in hand and not some bulltwinkle.

Why I only do FTF sales.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yeah...we get it...it's a bad idea. I never said it was a good idea. I asked if anyone could theorize what the scam could be. And you sure typed a lot for not addressing the question.

LMAO!
    Don’t let me be the voice of reason!
    Some of us don’t need to ask why....or what.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom