Out of State Gun Buying...... Scam or What?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Alright, I'm selling a few guns and decided to put one of them up for sale on a national website(actually with the intention of only selling it within Louisana). I get an email from some guy saying...... well, here it is......

Hello, i will love to hear back from you, if this firearm is still available for sale via my gmail

So I'm thinking it's some guy somewhere in Louisiana and reply asking him what he wants to know.

His reply......
    Thx for getting back to me. Is it perfectly working? No scratches or wear marks? I m an inter state truck driver and located in Everett, WA . I m ready to make an instant purchase.. I have an FFL to receive it for me if you are willing to ship here. If yes, what's your shipping cost to 98291?? Or i can arrange for a local dealer in your area for you to drop off and they will do what is necessary for me to receive it without your concern and this is after you must have receive payment!

At that point I tell him I'm not interested in dealing with shipping as it sounds fishy to me. He then replies again.....
    i can arrange for a local dealer in your area for you to drop off and they will do what is necessary for me to receive it without your concern and this is after you must have receive payment!

So, I don't intend to answer his emails because to me it's got to be a scam. You can't tell me that there are no other guns available and what I have is not worth the added expense of going through that much commotion.

What say you guys? You ever deal with a situation like this before?

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just the arrangement of English tells me it’s more likely intercontinental than interstate... but that’s just a feeling I get...when I look to the west...

After you must have receive payment! LMAO.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    If I follow right.. you drop it off at your local ffl to be shipped to his fll? And you get paid before it ships? Sounds legit to me.

But if he doesn’t like it upon receipt makes it a ball of fun to deal with.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    It doesn't sound like English is their first language, but I don't see any problem with the methods. They are willing to[A] have you ship the gun to their FFL, or [B ]arrange for you to drop the gun off with an FFL locally after which you do not have to burden yourself. The only scam could be a money scam, as long as you get paid in a reliably accepted way I would say G2G.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    As for the English I wrote off as he was using "talk to text" which I do sometimes and it makes for some crazy writing.

J.Ellis

One for the road
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Madisonville,LA
    Sounds like a west African, or Pakistan guy trying out a new scam.

I do not know your gun for sale but is it one of a kind, special?

Out of state, only texting and want to buy it sight unseen, and always assuring you will be paid in full and no negotiation on the price....to good to be true

You might not even be the target for the scam. He might be using your ad and asking questions about your gun to scam someone in Washington state or else where.

using pictures and descriptions you give him I bet he is selling your gun on another web site. Some poor sap calls him looking for your gun at discounted crazy low price. But you got to reserve, (because it’s such a good deal and people are coming over to buy it latter on in the day)

At that point most people would walk away, but it just takes one person thinking they are going to loose out and throw caution to the wind.

I would stay away.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Man you need to change this title. I thought someone was saying Interstate Guns was scamming people and I was like GTFO.

LAram567

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Out of State Gun Buying Scam or What?

I posted a 1911 on Arms list one time, I received an email just like this and told the person I wasn’t interested in doing anything like that to get the gun sold. I wonna say it took about a month and half to sell and in that month in half I would receive emails of pretty much the same “blue print”. It was always in odd English, person was in a weird situation, wanted the gun shipped, never haggled on price, and always wanted to pay with cashiers check or wire transfer. Sometimes it would be the same exact email just from a different email address. Definitely a scam of some kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    There is another scam on the LA Sportman classifieds where they offer a gun for sale and then want you to buy gift cards and send them pics of front and back and copy of receipt and then they will meet to give you the gun, yea right !!!!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    There is another scam on the LA Sportman classifieds where they offer a gun for sale and then want you to buy gift cards and send them pics of front and back and copy of receipt and then they will meet to give you the gun, yea right !!!!

Do those ever get reported and blocked or deleted? Or are they guests asking about the sale?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

There is a report button by the ad on LA Sportsman, but I'm not sure if anything ever gets done about it. One guy has 25 or more of those ads and I am not going to spend the time to click thru all of them... They are usually pretty obvious.

Last edited:

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    As someone who was once scammed many years ago, I would stay away from this completely. Why risk it when you should have no problem selling the firearm locally? It's not worth it. Too long to type here, but the scam that got me seemed completely legit (not like the emails you've gotten). They guy even sent me a copy of his CHP, a legit FFL who I even called to make sure the info wasn't fake, etc... Blah blah I got got. You live and learn. Ever since then, I don't even entertain anything sketchy at all. Don't make a mistake you'll regret. Ignore those sketchy emails. If you're that desperate for cash, just pawn the damn thing. Obviously they won't give you as much as you want, but at least it's cash in hand and not some bulltwinkle.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Personally I would take that dudes email and use it to sign him up for all kinds of undesirable stuff. But I like screwing with scammers. Trolling phone scammers has kind of became a social thing at work. We haven’t quite figured up enough rules to make it a sport, but give it time.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Oh yeah you right!!!

Had one on there selling a Colt in a 45 LC for like 500,I emailed him

Got the usual blah,blah blah, mail it to my FFL

I asked to see the Colt first since the dude claimed to live in Texas

I asked what town,He replied El Paso

Ask him for a meet since I live 45 minutes from El Paso.

He went silent on me............hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom