Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Indoor Shooting Range Ear Protection

I specifically titled this "Indoor Shooting Range Ear Protection" because common sense tells me that the noise from indoor shooting would be louder and more damaging than outdoor gun blasts. But, you can still comment on what you use/prefer for either.

What's your preferred method of ear protection? There are the basic padded ear muffs, noise canceling electronic shooting ear muffs and then the simple ear plugs. Has anyone ever tried all and settled on what works best for them or did you just buy one kind and stick with that?

What have you found works best and what do you recommend?

If you can post a picture of what you prefer please.
    "Good food is like good lovin'!"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Here is the thing - 3 things actually:
    1 - decibels are exponential
    2 - the bone behind your ear picks up sound
    3 - Earmuff type leak

I prefer ear plugs with padded ear muffs over. That way if the muffs come off I still have some protection and the muffs keep the bone pickup down. Howard Leight made some with a pretty high rating. #1 means a few decibel more of NR is a big deal. Rifle shooting is harder to deal with indoors and someone else might be shooting a rifle. Longuns can have the interference with the muffs so the earplug in tandem helps. I have never needed the electronic and TBH I find them weird, at least the ones with the sound that cut on/off. Plus 'eff' batteries man.

https://www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/

Pretty sure this is what I have
    https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/Produc...AaAv4fEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Request Dust Off; January 31st, 2019 at 09:24 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs with ear plugs. They amplify low sound and block out louder sounds. Been using this setup for quite a while.

User Info Menu

Electronic muffs + earplugs for me.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I'm just going to throw this out there, be very wary of military surplus ear muffs or plugs. Many of them are designed to block high frequency sound (jet engines) but don't do so well on low frequency. Many years ago at an air base hospital I was assigned (incarcerated) to, I overheard a discussion about the small arms instructors were experiencing hearing loss & being accused of not wearing their ear protection. After I did some research and proved they were wearing the wrong type, they they purchased a quantity of "shooting" ear muffs. End of problem.
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came, saw, and kicked my cancers ass!

tactical hangover

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Request Dust Off View Post
    Here is the thing - 3 things actually:
    1 - decibels are exponential
    2 - the bone behind your ear picks up sound
    3 - Earmuff type leak

I prefer ear plugs with padded ear muffs over. That way if the muffs come off I still have some protection and the muffs keep the bone pickup down. Howard Leight made some with a pretty high rating. #1 means a few decibel more of NR is a big deal. Rifle shooting is harder to deal with indoors and someone else might be shooting a rifle. Longuns can have the interference with the muffs so the earplug in tandem helps. I have never needed the electronic and TBH I find them weird, at least the ones with the sound that cut on/off. Plus 'eff' batteries man.

https://www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/

Pretty sure this is what I have
    https://www.jjkeller.com/shop/Produc...AaAv4fEALw_wcB
    exactly what I was going to write.. I always double up inside.. I do use howard leights over the traditional foams ..

Marksman

User Info Menu

I wear electric muffs outside if I shot indoors I would add foam plugs to the mix as well.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Indoor- Foam plugs with electronic muffs over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ,'';=====-
    !

Marksman

User Info Menu

Ear protection?....we don’t need no stinking ear protection! Custom plugs with muffs over for me. Really helps inside when the bozo next to me has a 7.5 AR with a cookie cutter brake on it. Oh wait that’s me.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

tacklebox

User Info Menu

I use electronic muffs and plugs indoors.

Outdoors I use foam plugs and only double up if I’m shooting, or next to something extra loud.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington