Indoor Shooting Range Ear Protection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wear foam plugs with muff over them. We didn't have good stuff in the Army years ago so I now have nice hearing aids from the VA

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    I use the Howard Light pros indoors, I don't add plugs because the range I go to has a separate room for rifles so it's only pistol caliber where I shoot, if I'm shooting my AR or am around others that are I double down with the plugs

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I typically double up on ear protection. I tried electronics and I felt they could not match the NR of the non electronics that I use; especially at indoor ranges. The 3M Optime with inner ear pro works great for me. They make indoor shooting extremely pleasant. I initially thought that doubling ear pro would give me the NRR benefit of both pairs ie. 23nrr+ 30nrr would give me 53 NRR, but from what I understand this is not the case. You only get the benefit of the highest NRR and +5 for the lower, so 23nrr+30nrr=35NRR. I may try electronics again in the future, but what I have now works really well. Aks are still loud they just don't hurt my ears.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It’s muffs and plugs for me as well. I’ve also added extra large cell foam on the inside of the muffs. At an indoor range you can’t predict who’s next to you. I have had Desert Eagles and 3-1/2” .44 shooters next to me. However the most annoying experience was at an outdoor range with a black powder pistol beside me. It was loud and smoky so I ultimately left.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I typically double up on ear protection. I tried electronics and I felt they could not match the NR of the non electronics that I use; especially at indoor ranges. The 3M Optime with inner ear pro works great for me. They make indoor shooting extremely pleasant. I initially thought that doubling ear pro would give me the NRR benefit of both pairs ie. 23nrr+ 30nrr would give me 53 NRR, but from what I understand this is not the case. You only get the benefit of the highest NRR and +5 for the lower, so 23nrr+30nrr=35NRR. I may try electronics again in the future, but what I have now works really well. Aks are still loud they just don't hurt my ears.

There are some things about NRR that I find contradictory info on. Then there are factors like fit of earplug or muff. Frequency of noise is also one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom