SW1911 info?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    I’m wanting to pick up a solid but affordable 1911. I’ve researched until I can’t anymore, and have narrowed it down to an original model SW1911 (~2004-2011?) vs an E-Series. I like the looks of the original better, more traditional, but the E-Series seems to be just a bit better in most features.

The original is 80 series or Swarze(?) style grip safety, the E is roughly what we refer to as a 70 series. The original has ambi safety vs single on the E. The E has a supposedly better external extractor, serrations on top of barrel to reduce glare, 3-dot Novak-type sights (vs Bomar-style on original), improved trigger (though both can be tuned to be better), and front and rear scalloped slide serrations (vs traditional serrations on the front and rear of the original).

The sight difference doesn’t really matter, I may even prefer to Bomars on the original since I don’t plan to carry, only to target shoot. The extractor isn’t a huge consideration, but if one is significantly better I’d be inclined that way. I think I prefer the ambi safety on the original, but as a righty I guess it ain’t a deal breaker (though IF I ever wanted to sell it may increase the pool of potential buyers). Serrations on original are my preference since I lean more traditional. I “think I prefer Series 70 over 80, but being relatively inexperienced with the 1911 platform I think I’d be fine w/either. Prefer the serrated top slide on the E, but prefer the ambi safety on the original. Now the “out of the box” better trigger on the E is more appealing, though I have found in my research that the original trigger is still a good one and can be tuned to be even better.

All this being said, the answer seems to be the E-Series - by a hair. But I’d like to get some real-world opinions from those who may have experience with either or both. Is the difference so slight that I should go with the more aesthetically appealing original model? Price is the same, but I’m open to either.

Thanks for any feedback. I’ll hang up and listen.

8ef1a6fee0046147b1fcacf99164b307.jpg

58c02f85cb832affc5d03fb1da525e10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    I got my pops the e series just like the one in your picture. I can tell you that thing is a SHOOTER! Is it a 3k plus Wilson, Baer, or the like? No, but the fit and finish is great, and overall a well made pistol.

Buy it it and shoot the hell out of it!

Strick8

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Jan 16, 2018
    Hammond, LA
    I got my pops the e series just like the one in your picture. I can tell you that thing is a SHOOTER! Is it a 3k plus Wilson, Baer, or the like? No, but the fit and finish is great, and overall a well made pistol.

Buy it it and shoot the hell out of it!

Thank, Blaize, this is what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom