Want advice looking for a red/green dot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Hey everyone I am looking to toss a red/green dot on top of one of my ar’s I found these on academy’s website. My budget atm is around $200. It will be going on a range gun. I don’t believe after reading the lwf laws you can use these for hunting. I found these 2 but open to more options. IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Pretty sure you can use any optic you want for hunting.
    Best deal for the money hands down is the Bushnell TRS-25.
    I’ve had several over the years and have put them to the test. I’ve never been dissatisfied.
    They have placed well when tested and compared to the top priced red dots in more than one real life non biased testing.
    To mount on a flat top receiver you’ll be obliged to add a 1 inch mini riser to bring it up to the proper height.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Dot-Sight/84936323

Best deal at the moment I found them in the $40. They’re in the $60’s on Amazon
    And the mini riser you’ll need is on there too for $10-20 you only need about 1.5 inches of rail to mount the optic. There is a version of this optic that comes with the riser but beware the dinky hardware snapped on the one I bought before I got the nut tight enough. The mounting screw was way to lightweight. The aftermarket risers have adequate sized hardware.

https://www.snipercountry.com/best-red-dot-sight/

Last edited:

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I’ve had several over the years and have put them to the test. I’ve never been dissatisfied.
    They have placed well when tested and compared to the top priced red dots in more than one real life non biased testing.
    To mount on a flat top receiver you’ll be obliged to add a 1 inch mini riser to bring it up to the proper height.

And the mini riser you’ll need is on there too for $10-20 you only need about 1.5 inches of rail to mount the optic.

This is why I was under the impression of Red dots thermals and infrared not being allowed IMG_4508.jpg

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette

And the mini riser you’ll need is on there too for $10-20 you only need about 1.5 inches of rail to mount the optic. There is a version of this optic that comes with the riser but beware the dinky hardware snapped on the one I bought before I got the nut tight enough. The mounting screw was way to lightweight. The aftermarket risers have adequate sized hardware.

https://www.snipercountry.com/best-red-dot-sight/

That’s really cheap I might have to order one tonight

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Red dot sights are exempted, RS 56:116.1.(b)(4). I don't see in the current regulations about not be able to use a silencer on a firearm unless you have been convicted of a class 4 or greater hunting violation.

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    I would throw out a recommendation for the vortex spitfire x1 prism optic. It's not a red dot it is a prism sight but u can get the 1x version for 150-200 and it is a nice piece of kit. Great for a close range ar or pcc, I have one on my pcc atm and love it. The reticle can be illuminated red or green

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Yankchef mentioned a prism and for a good reason , they are better for hunting . I prefer Cabela's 3 power circle dot my self because I like the 3 Power but if your # use will be closer than 50 yards I'd go with his . My opinion is a red dot is great for fast shooting if you turn it on or it comes on automatically because proper head placement isn't as important because if the dot is off center no problem just shoot . With a prism you will have to practice proper head alignment but if you forget to turn on the illustration no problem it's just a scope . Another problem with illumination is I have never found one that is dim enough at last shooting time to allow accurate shooting . I have both type and both have + & - .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Red dot sights are exempted, RS 56:116.1.(b)(4). I don't see in the current regulations about not be able to use a silencer on a firearm unless you have been convicted of a class 4 or greater hunting violation.

Thanks man I guess I found an older ruling.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The Sig Romeo sights are pretty good. I have one on a patrol rifle that has been beat around a good bit and has performed flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Alabama Arsenal put up a torture test video on the Sig Romeo5. It seems to have withstood a bit of abuse. I grabbed one and it sits on my bedside pistol. One good feature about the Romeo5 is it turns off after 8 or 12 hours or something like that and turns on with movement. It can usually be found for $125 and sometimes a little cheaper.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Alabama Arsenal put up a torture test video on the Sig Romeo5. It seems to have withstood a bit of abuse. I grabbed one and it sits on my bedside pistol. One good feature about the Romeo5 is it turns off after 8 or 12 hours or something like that and turns on with movement. It can usually be found for $125 and sometimes a little cheaper.

Wow that’s a pretty impressive torture test.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Anyone willing to let me take target practice at their optics? Not sure what that proves. If my Holosun gets shot I doubt I will care if it’s working because I would likely be pulling pellets out my face. But that is pretty dang durable.

I dont have extensive experince with my Holosun but it works every time I pick it up and sighting it was easy. I also have an astigmatism and adjusting the brightness makes the starburst go away most of the time.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    I wanted to thank everyone that gave insight. I went to academy today to check out some of the red dots they had in stock. Man I gotta tell you the Bushnell was nice and small with a great looking dot but the turn dial is really hard to turn. And the Romeo 5 was out of stock. And the holosun was a bit out of what I had in my pocket today. But I end up getting the sightmark wolverine. It has a 2 moa dot and uses a single AA battery with what they claim 1,000,000 hour battery life at the lowest setting. I laser sighted it in in my back yard (75 yards) will take it to the range this Friday to see how it does. I will look into the Romeo5 to toss on my iron sight rifle later on.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you need one now, obviously local is the way to go. But if you know what you want and can wait a few days, check out https://gun.deals to see if anyone has it on sale. For example, Palmetto State has the Romeo5 right now for $119.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom