What Would You Do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NerfDildo™

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    The other night at dinner with friends the topic of a traffic stop came up.

You get pulled over for a minor traffic infraction or like one of my instances, a brake tag check. Whether you have a permit or just legally carrying in your vehicle you're pulled over and the police officer approaches your window, do you tell them you have a weapon in your car/truck? One guy said he was cuffed at the scene while the officer conducted the situation of the traffic stop after finding out he was carrying. Another guy said he was told in a CHP/CCW class by the instructor to not say anything about the weapon.
    Me, I have been stopped either for minor traffic infraction or brake tag stops by NOPD, JP and LA State Police and I always informed them that I had a weapon in my car or truck. Once the pistol was taken from me until the stop was completed and two other times was told to just remain calm and make no sudden moves toward the weapon. The last two didn't even ask to see it.

What would or do you do and what if you have taken a class were you told as to how to handle this type of situation?

I say cooperation is important in this type of interaction with law enforcement without being a complete idiot over the stop.​

I'm sure it's already been covered, and I'm new to the state, but have been reading the laws. Under LRS 40:1379.3 a permittee must immediately inform an officer if he/she is armed. At least, that's my understanding from reading the law. Is that the case?

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Admittedly, I probably should have read then replied. I saw afterwards that it had been resolved almost immediately. My apologies for retreading covered ground.

...and just to be clear. You must inform only if you're armed according to the provisions of the statute.

I do not carry according to the statute while driving so I never inform. It gives the officer an opportunity to remove the firearm and prolongs the LEO contact. Leo contact should always be courteous and short, unless you enjoy having someone collect evidence against you.

Also, as mentioned in an earlier post, keep firearms away from anything in your vehicle that you may have to produce to an officer... just makes good sense right?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ...and just to be clear. You must inform only if you're armed according to the provisions of the statute.

I do not carry according to the statute while driving so I never inform. It gives the officer an opportunity to remove the firearm and prolongs the LEO contact. Leo contact should always be courteous and short, unless you enjoy having someone collect evidence against you.

Also, as mentioned in an earlier post, keep firearms away from anything in your vehicle that you may have to produce to an officer... just makes good sense right?

No, it doesn't make good sense. A lot of places not on your person were you would be able to easily get to a weapon in the car are also places where there is a greater chance of the weapon being seen. If the cop sees the weapon before you tell him about it, your LEO contact will likely be longer than if you had told him about it. And if the cop sees you stashing something or reaching somewhere in the car after he hits his lights, you're likely prolonging your LEO contact.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    No, it doesn't make good sense. A lot of places not on your person were you would be able to easily get to a weapon in the car are also places where there is a greater chance of the weapon being seen. If the cop sees the weapon before you tell him about it, your LEO contact will likely be longer than if you had told him about it. And if the cop sees you stashing something or reaching somewhere in the car after he hits his lights, you're likely prolonging your LEO contact.

Yes, It it does make good sense. Of course make sure you pick a place that is well hidden. Some people are lured to the glove box for that hidy-hole but then they realize they have to access that same glove box for their papers. Keep 'em separate. Hiding papers is not necessary. I use my sunglasses holder for my papers and have my firearm secured in the center console. It gets placed there when I get in the car. All would agree it is best to minimize movement while officer friendly has you lit up.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, It it does make good sense. Of course make sure you pick a place that is well hidden. Some people are lured to the glove box for that hidy-hole but then they realize they have to access that same glove box for their papers. Keep 'em separate. Hiding papers is not necessary. I use my sunglasses holder for my papers and have my firearm secured in the center console. It gets placed there when I get in the car. All would agree it is best to minimize movement while officer friendly has you lit up.

Ok.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Don’t you love being told the do’s and dont’s of traffic stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Don’t you love being told the do’s and dont’s of traffic stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t entirely agree with George Jetson particularly the way he treats Orbit.

But seriously I know you guys are cool and when I’m required by law to inform I will, however sometimes it’s better left unsaid. Before I went concealed carry I probably was stopped at least 6 times while having a loaded firearm in reach. I may have notified once in all the years. I never had any adverse interactions, and one of those stops my wife was being a little mouthy in the back seat. Oddly I haven’t had to notify but I won’t finish that thought for fear I may jinks myself.

I won’t impune your profession, but in my travels through small town USA I’ve met some interesting characters who operate the flashing lights and sirens.

Everyone has to make their own way. I find being polite and accommodating covers a whole host of sins.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The Louisiana State Police CHP Suspension/Revocation Affidavit lists 9 ways you can lose your CHP.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I don’t entirely agree with George Jetson particularly the way he treats Orbit.

But seriously I know you guys are cool and when I’m required by law to inform I will, however sometimes it’s better left unsaid. Before I went concealed carry I probably was stopped at least 6 times while having a loaded firearm in reach. I may have notified once in all the years. I never had any adverse interactions, and one of those stops my wife was being a little mouthy in the back seat. Oddly I haven’t had to notify but I won’t finish that thought for fear I may jinks myself.

I won’t impune your profession, but in my travels through small town USA I’ve met some interesting characters who operate the flashing lights and sirens.

Everyone has to make their own way. I find being polite and accommodating covers a whole host of sins.

I didn't mean to treat anyone in a disrespectful manner. I'm not sure how or if I did, but I certainly didn't intend to. I simply disagreed with some of what was said and made my own points.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I didn't mean to treat anyone in a disrespectful manner. I'm not sure how or if I did, but I certainly didn't intend to. I simply disagreed with some of what was said and made my own points.

And I don't fault you for disagreeing. You have your experiences and I have mine. My experiences tell me the traffic stop goes much smoother when the cop is told about the weapon and may result in a warning rather than a ticket. It make take a little more time up front but, in my opinion, that's better than the extra time spent going to court if the ticket is contested. My experience also tells me the cop seeing the undisclosed weapon will guarantee the driver gets at least a ticket, not to mention the prolonged police interaction.

But if it works for you then it works for you. Until it doesn't.

ssgsimon

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    lafayette
    I have been stopped on multiple occasions, I drive a lot. I have always been very respectful. I always informed the officer that I was carrying. I always had great experiences with this practice until I drove through Fenton, LA. I was caught in a speed trap during the middle of the day with my wife . I was very respectful. I informed the cop I was carrying. He told me he needed to keep the gun for the remainder of the traffic stop. So I complied. While he ran my license he disassembled my firearm and took every round out of the magazine.

Thanks to *professionals* like this I will be thinking long and hard before I comply again.

I know it’s the law, but the second amendment is a check against the government, why should we have to disarm when we’re face to face with the armed government. 67 in a 60 should not give the government the right to take away yours.

I am not anti cop. I get disarming in certain situations. A 40 year old and his wife in a minivan during the day.

Give me a break if I were going to shoot you, I would not have told you I had a gun. Not only that you give me the opportunity to un-holster my weapon, man I am a full second closer to shooting you than you are me. Just bad tactics. Not to mention unsafe. A nervous driver reaching for his gun and pulling it out while he is seated. Sorry some people just have to show their Authority.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have been stopped on multiple occasions, I drive a lot. I have always been very respectful. I always informed the officer that I was carrying. I always had great experiences with this practice until I drove through Fenton, LA. I was caught in a speed trap during the middle of the day with my wife . I was very respectful. I informed the cop I was carrying. He told me he needed to keep the gun for the remainder of the traffic stop. So I complied. While he ran my license he disassembled my firearm and took every round out of the magazine.

Thanks to *professionals* like this I will be thinking long and hard before I comply again.

I know it’s the law, but the second amendment is a check against the government, why should we have to disarm when we’re face to face with the armed government. 67 in a 60 should not give the government the right to take away yours.

I am not anti cop. I get disarming in certain situations. A 40 year old and his wife in a minivan during the day. .

If you Do Not Comply with the LEO you could "Possibly" have your CHP revoked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

I am not anti cop. I get disarming in certain situations. A 40 year old and his wife in a minivan during the day.

Give me a break if I were going to shoot you, I would not have told you I had a gun. Not only that you give me the opportunity to un-holster my weapon, man I am a full second closer to shooting you than you are me. Just bad tactics. Not to mention unsafe. A nervous driver reaching for his gun and pulling it out while he is seated. Sorry some people just have to show their Authority.

You live in a police state,Your lucky the hicksville cop didn't beat you with a baton and take the weapon! You will COMPLY!!!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

First of all, there are no speed traps in a 60 mph zone. 60 mph zones are only on unpopulated state roads or populated interstates. In order for it to be a speed trap, it would have had to have been a significant drop in the speed limit. There are no roads in Louisiana near Fenton with a high enough speed limit that dropping it to 60 is a significant drop. Calling it a speed trap is likely an attempt to shift the blame for either your not paying attention or your disregard for the speed limit. Either one is fine if you just take ownership of it.

He didn't stop you because you were such a good driver. He stopped you because you had violated a traffic law. You were disarmed because you were the one, not him, that broke the law. He knows nothing about you other than you either aren't paying attention or you aren't worried about the law. His method of scene safety may be different than what you would have liked. But so what? Did he put your gun on the books as evidence or property or did he give it back?

And describe the types of people who would shoot at the police. Could 40 year old men in a minivan with their wife be on that list? Or is it impossible for a 40 year old in a minivan with his wife to do that?

And I've done that before. I've removed the bullets from the magazine before and not returned the gun until after the ticket was signed. And even then I gave it back one piece at a time and had him drive off before he could put it back together. Why would I do that? Because I'm going home at the end of my shift. And if your attitude is such that you become irate because I gave you the ticket you deserved instead of the warning you were hoping for, your behavior has become much more unpredictable than it was when I stopped you. So the last thing I'm handing you is a weapon that is loaded or could be loaded with minimal effort.

And bad tactics doesn't mean his decisions were wrong.

Some cops are jerks. No honest cop will deny that. But I'll bet the majority of cops who show their authority are responding to people who start off giving them attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    No two people are the same and that includes cops . I have had good and bad experiences with cops and guns over the years . One instance was in the early '80s , I was driving through Mansfield La . on my way south going hog hunting .I was waiting for a light to change when the state trooper beside me noticed I had amber glasses on . I explained that it was foggy and Amber glasses cut the glare ." Any guns in the vehicle " yes sir " where " 1911 in the console and two 44 mag in the trunk . 5 minutes later I was in the back of the police car and my guns confiscated . Probable cause , wearing sun glasses after dark , he took me to the sheriff's office to be held until my guns checked out . Four hours later a nice deputy took me back to my vehicle an politely said , He is on 171 North so if I was you I would continue south . The deputy said let me make this as clear as possible " The sheriff's department was in no way involved your being detained or harassed for having multiple handguns . I knew by the troopers attitude from the start he was a jerk but had I told him I didn't have a gun and he decided to look for drugs and found them it would have been worse . The fact I was honest and didn't have an attitude just because of the jerk cop I met a real nice deputy and we enjoyed exchanging hunting stories . I also learned all black cops were not racist or have a chip on their shoulder .( The jerk was white the pro second was black ). If you are required by law to advise Leo you have a gun you probably should , most Leos are pro gun and if you happen to be blessed with being stopped by one who isn't chances are he / she will find out and then you will wish you had .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom