What Would You Do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I prefer a different approach to the Driver/Vehicle.

Yep it’s all preference. One thing is certain, if you poll 100 officers from major departments and ask them if they want the guy facing them while they hold hands I would bet 100% would say hell no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Translated into copspeak, that card says "my window is broken and will not roll down so please open it with your baton."

You owe me a keyboard. Needed that today :dogkeke:
    4ifoe56u5nce0hb13zis.gif

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I carried a gun in the vehicle for years before I decided to pursue the concealed carry thing, and I drive a lot for work sometimes exceeding posted limits a little. The times I was stopped were all prior to going to concealed and were simple and uneventful. I never put my weapon in a place I would need to reach in a traffic stop, and I would never just sit a gun on my seat and drive down the road for so many reason. At that point I had no obligation to notify and I never gave them a reason to ask. I typically kept a gun in the driver door pocket so if I had been asked to exit the vehicle I would have felt the need to notify.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Why are we so awkward about guns? Obviously you can kill someone with a gun but as a people even the *gun community* we act like they are taboo or naughty. I often think many who like guns would be less interested if there was no stigma that goes with them.

I know now there are a few degrees of separation from the original topic but I think this a major factor as to why this topic exists. When I put my pants on every morning and clip om my holster to my belt, I know that it’s a gun but it affects my demeanor no different than my knife or keys. Obviously I have to actively treat it differently in certain environments, but it’s just an inanimate object why the awkwardness?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Why are we so awkward about guns? Obviously you can kill someone with a gun but as a people even the *gun community* we act like they are taboo or naughty. I often think many who like guns would be less interested if there was no stigma that goes with them.

I know now there are a few degrees of separation from the original topic but I think this a major factor as to why this topic exists. When I put my pants on every morning and clip om my holster to my belt, I know that it’s a gun but it affects my demeanor no different than my knife or keys. Obviously I have to actively treat it differently in certain environments, but it’s just an inanimate object why the awkwardness?

This^ is NOT by accident.

Those people in the "Anti" gun crowd are actively trying to intimidate those folks that are ambivalent about private gun ownership through media sensationalism and misinformation. It is hard for me to give most so-called journalists credit for being smart enough to actually gather factual information, but in this case they don't even try. Their handlers do not want to bore potentially interested people with factual details about gun related incidents. Mischaracterizing the weapon, or overstating how they perform, is almost always the rule when it comes to portraying guns.

Unfortunately, many gun people are falling for it too.

As for the OP's inquiry; how about being polite and nice when interacting with a cop to start with? A nice demeanor is always more settling and assuring than having a scowl on your face because you feel you're being wronged. I drive everyday, all the time, all over the place. I haven't been pulled over by LE in at least 8 years; and the last time I was, I was speeding. And rightfully got a ticket for it. But the interaction and the gun handling went smoothly. Now, he did drop my brand new Sig mag on the concrete and scratched it, but what can you do?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This^ is NOT by accident.

Those people in the "Anti" gun crowd are actively trying to intimidate those folks that are ambivalent about private gun ownership through media sensationalism and misinformation. It is hard for me to give most so-called journalists credit for being smart enough to actually gather factual information, but in this case they don't even try. Their handlers do not want to bore potentially interested people with factual details about gun related incidents. Mischaracterizing the weapon, or overstating how they perform, is almost always the rule when it comes to portraying guns.

Unfortunately, many gun people are falling for it too.

As for the OP's inquiry; how about being polite and nice when interacting with a cop to start with? A nice demeanor is always more settling and assuring than having a scowl on your face because you feel you're being wronged. I drive everyday, all the time, all over the place. I haven't been pulled over by LE in at least 8 years; and the last time I was, I was speeding. And rightfully got a ticket for it. But the interaction and the gun handling went smoothly. Now, he did drop my brand new Sig mag on the concrete and scratched it, but what can you do?

True story there. An acquaintance of mine was with me recently and was telling me how she has never seen a gun in person besides one on a police officer's belt and asked if people in LA/TX really have guns as commonly as the media says. I was like oh, absolutely, it's an entirely different culture down here and people grow up with them. She then went on to tell me how she would be scared to even be in a room with a gun for blah blah blah reasons because guns are tools of death and blah blah blah.

I get that everyone is raised differently and in different cultures, but I think the media really has done a terrible disservice to making guns look evil.

As for the OPs question: I'm relatively younger than most here and occasionally push the limits of traffic laws (as many young people do). I don't do anything excessive, but I'll absolutely drive 7-9 MPH over the speed limit when it is safe. I have been pulled over a few times and I treat the cops like a decent human who is doing his job. As I see the lights, I grab my wallet, pull out my license and weapon permit, and have my hands visible on my steering wheel before they even get out of their car.

To this day, I've never been given a ticket and the cops always thank me for being decent to them and understanding that they're doing their job. If I get a ticket, I earned it and accept it. But smiling, being pleasant, and showing that you are a decent person goes a long way in almost every situation in life. Oh, and every single cop has said something along the lines of "you don't grab your gun, and I won't grab mine." It always seems to work out where they smile, laugh, and don't taze me.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    True story there. An acquaintance of mine was with me recently and was telling me how she has never seen a gun in person besides one on a police officer's belt and asked if people in LA/TX really have guns as commonly as the media says. I was like oh, absolutely, it's an entirely different culture down here and people grow up with them. She then went on to tell me how she would be scared to even be in a room with a gun for blah blah blah reasons because guns are tools of death and blah blah blah.

I get that everyone is raised differently and in different cultures, but I think the media really has done a terrible disservice to making guns look evil.

As for the OPs question: I'm relatively younger than most here and occasionally push the limits of traffic laws (as many young people do). I don't do anything excessive, but I'll absolutely drive 7-9 MPH over the speed limit when it is safe. I have been pulled over a few times and I treat the cops like a decent human who is doing his job. As I see the lights, I grab my wallet, pull out my license and weapon permit, and have my hands visible on my steering wheel before they even get out of their car.

To this day, I've never been given a ticket and the cops always thank me for being decent to them and understanding that they're doing their job. If I get a ticket, I earned it and accept it. But smiling, being pleasant, and showing that you are a decent person goes a long way in almost every situation in life. Oh, and every single cop has said something along the lines of "you don't grab your gun, and I won't grab mine." It always seems to work out where they smile, laugh, and don't taze me.

YOU need to upgrade!

Attachments

• girl and gun.jpg
      girl and gun.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 108

Gordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    The law was quoted earlier and is quite clear. If you have a concealed carry permit, and are involved in an official police investigation, you are REQUIRED to inform the officer of your permit, and surrender the gun if he asks for it.
    Those of you who say "I have a permit, but if the gun is not on my person, I don't have to inform him" are splitting hairs.
    You were fingerprinted with AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System). Practically every jurisdiction in the nation has AFIS.
    So, when the LEO ran your license plate, he was automatically informed the person registered to that plate has a CCP.
    He KNOWS walking up to your car that you--the driver, it is assumed--have a permit, and it follows there is a gun in the car.
    If you want to play Larry Lawyer, and not tell him you have a permit and a gun somewhere in the car, feel free to go ahead and do so. Then when he has to ASK you if there is a gun in the car, you may well get a ticket that would not have occurred if you had been respectful, polite, and up front about everything.
    The proper way to handle a traffic stop, as has been pointed out several times here, is to have both hands on the wheel in plain view, and hand the officer your drivers license and your concealed carry permit card at the same time. He will tell you how to handle it.
    IF you do NOT have a permit, and you do have a gun in the car, you are not required to tell the officer/deputy of the presence of the gun, but it is a good idea.
    Most of them are good guys, approve of CCP, and do not get upset when they hear a citizen has a gun in the car. It is all about attitude and respect.
    And that instructor that told his students NOT to inform the officer they had a gun in the car does not know the law he is teaching. He is an idiot, and should have his credentials jerked by the LSP.

Last edited:

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    I don't have a permit and was stopped in florida. I told the officer that I had a gun in my glovebox with my insurance card. After 2 more units arrived I was informed that its illegal to have a gun in my car without a permit. They gave me a speeding ticket and I was told that I wasn't in la anymore. I thanked them for being understanding about my ignorance of florida law and promptly got my ass out of there. White lives matter too.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    The other night at dinner with friends the topic of a traffic stop came up.

You get pulled over for a minor traffic infraction or like one of my instances, a brake tag check. Whether you have a permit or just legally carrying in your vehicle you're pulled over and the police officer approaches your window, do you tell them you have a weapon in your car/truck? One guy said he was cuffed at the scene while the officer conducted the situation of the traffic stop after finding out he was carrying. Another guy said he was told in a CHP/CCW class by the instructor to not say anything about the weapon.
    Me, I have been stopped either for minor traffic infraction or brake tag stops by NOPD, JP and LA State Police and I always informed them that I had a weapon in my car or truck. Once the pistol was taken from me until the stop was completed and two other times was told to just remain calm and make no sudden moves toward the weapon. The last two didn't even ask to see it.

What would or do you do and what if you have taken a class were you told as to how to handle this type of situation?

I say cooperation is important in this type of interaction with law enforcement without being a complete idiot over the stop.​

I would make sure I have a valid brake tag, which I do. That eliminates your entire scenario.

How I react when I'm pulled over depends on how good a friend the cop pulling me over is. However, it's been many years since I was pulled over for anything.

mperr7530

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 22, 2013
    Gonzales, LA
    ^^This. I've had a one instance of being pulled over (brake light--or that was the justification) in which the officer said nearly the same thing upon being informed I was carrying. "How's about you don't pull your gun and I won't pull mine." I laughed. He made sure everything was in order, handed me my phone/DL and I was on my way. The key takeway from Austin's post is that he/she is just a person doing their job--becoming irrate at him/her is completely misplaced. The legislature (or unelected bureacrats) crafts laws--direct your ire at them. Additionally, I like the concept of 'give respect, get respect'. I was polite and he was professional. That's all you can ask for in those situations.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The problem I saw with the video was how many people run around with their DL/CHP/insurance card in their front shirt pocket?

I can't carry at work, so during a work week my handgun will be in the center console and my proof of insurance is in the glovebox. I always separate them. When I carry OWB right hand at 2.30, my wallet (DL/CHP) is in my right front pants pocket directly under the holster.

I've always thought about warning a LEO that I was going under my carry gun to retrieve my wallet, but never thought it was necessary. In one traffic stop and two accidents I've never had a LEO even ask where my gun was at.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    ^^This. I've had a one instance of being pulled over (brake light--or that was the justification) in which the officer said nearly the same thing upon being informed I was carrying. "How's about you don't pull your gun and I won't pull mine." I laughed. He made sure everything was in order, handed me my phone/DL and I was on my way. The key takeway from Austin's post is that he/she is just a person doing their job--becoming irrate at him/her is completely misplaced. The legislature (or unelected bureacrats) crafts laws--direct your ire at them. Additionally, I like the concept of 'give respect, get respect'. I was polite and he was professional. That's all you can ask for in those situations.

Wait, What's this about your phone? You surrendered your phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom