What Would You Do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Really,Sounds Yuppie to me,People are actually trusting phones that far?

Yep. I actually have it on mine now. I have all my Cards, DL, and insurance on my phone. Really no need for a wallet anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Whats to verify? DL# is shown in picture, which will be called in just like the app one or the real one. Why pay $5 to do the same thing for free?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Why? The law says you have to I.D. yourself to LEO's.
    A passport is a valid I.D.

As with a physical DL, you need the physical passport. You didn't find a loophole in the question. You only exchanged one physical item for another physical item. So are you able to, for free, present a valid physical form of ID if you leave your physical form of ID at home?

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    As with a physical DL, you need the physical passport. You didn't find a loophole in the question. You only exchanged one physical item for another physical item. So are you able to, for free, present a valid physical form of ID if you leave your physical form of ID at home?

You know ever so often I leave my electronic cowbell/tracking device at home and somehow I get a sense of freedom? Or is it just me?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It’s pretty simple. If you want to have your DL on phone, buy the app. If you want to get a ticket for having a picture of it in your phone then go ahead or just carry your physical DL. Really no gray area,conspiracy, or black helicopter sightings to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    The law was quoted earlier and is quite clear. If you have a concealed carry permit, and are involved in an official police investigation, you are REQUIRED to inform the officer of your permit, and surrender the gun if he asks for it.
    Those of you who say "I have a permit, but if the gun is not on my person, I don't have to inform him" are splitting hairs.
    You were fingerprinted with AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System). Practically every jurisdiction in the nation has AFIS.
    So, when the LEO ran your license plate, he was automatically informed the person registered to that plate has a CCP.
    He KNOWS walking up to your car that you--the driver, it is assumed--have a permit, and it follows there is a gun in the car.
    If you want to play Larry Lawyer, and not tell him you have a permit and a gun somewhere in the car, feel free to go ahead and do so. Then when he has to ASK you if there is a gun in the car, you may well get a ticket that would not have occurred if you had been respectful, polite, and up front about everything.
    The proper way to handle a traffic stop, as has been pointed out several times here, is to have both hands on the wheel in plain view, and hand the officer your drivers license and your concealed carry permit card at the same time. He will tell you how to handle it.
    IF you do NOT have a permit, and you do have a gun in the car, you are not required to tell the officer/deputy of the presence of the gun, but it is a good idea.
    Most of them are good guys, approve of CCP, and do not get upset when they hear a citizen has a gun in the car. It is all about attitude and respect.
    And that instructor that told his students NOT to inform the officer they had a gun in the car does not know the law he is teaching. He is an idiot, and should have his credentials jerked by the LSP.

I am a straight shooter, and typically do not split hairs, but to suggest someone have their credentials revoked based on your interpretation of a law is not stand up at all. The law clearly states; "A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

I went ahead and put the important parts in bold for you. (A). In your car in the glove box is not exercising a privilege in accordance with this section. It is a constitutional right, and the fact that you have a concealed carry permit does not change that. (B). In your glove box/center console, under the dash holster etc. Does not constitute on ones person, which is the basis of acting in accordance with this section.

When I teach classes. I tell my participants, it is best practice to hand off your CHP, with your ID, and follow instruction from there.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Using this thinking, if I carry a copy of the 2nd amendment with me I don't need a CHP? Just pay $5?

Lol right I’m what many would call on the extreme right wing. Especially when it comes to the 2nd A, but I’m a realist.

Am I being detained or am I free to go? Maybe the funniest statement in the English language.

LEO’s if you have funny stories that you can get away with telling, I’m like Obama... ALL EARS. Maybe a new thread called Dumb $h*+ people say to cops.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Lol right I’m what many would call on the extreme right wing. Especially when it comes to the 2nd A, but I’m a realist.

Am I being detained or am I free to go? Maybe the funniest statement in the English language.

LEO’s if you have funny stories that you can get away with telling, I’m like Obama... ALL EARS. Maybe a new thread called Dumb $h*+ people say to cops.

There are hours, if not days of 'Am I free to go' videos on youtube

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We are turning ourselves into automatons! The modern day cellphone is a spectacular example of technology. The downside is so many dummies are relenting their existence to these phones, that as the older generations (ignorant or not engaged in cell phone use), perish; these tech companies will only accelerate the dependence of the populous on these things.

They track you (with or without your permission), they borrow / steal your personal information, and they sell your existence to other tech parasites. That cycle of perpetual technical slavery goes on and on.

If you are a Freedomist, or Libertarian you should be very concerned where this is all heading. We may already be too far gone to stop it. Hell, the vast majority of these dumbasses in Congress have no clue how these tech companies are shackling the American people, or worse; are on the dole from them, or just don't care.

Even if you take the steps to privatize ALL of the functions on your phone, these tech companies can push past those defenses (and do), to continue to mine your privacy/freedom. And I wouldn't mind if I "truly" could use the phone and genuinely use necessary apps and programs without having to surrender my consent to let them continue to enslave me. But alas; you can't.

If you think that the NSA or any other so-called "national security interest" doesn't know where you are via that phone, you are fooling yourself. Remember, Snowden's revelations were 7 years ago! Can you fathom the acceleration of tech slavery in 7 years?

Now, as for this thread, thank goodness you can still obtain and use an actual license/ID. But, I will make a gloomy prediction; in the coming years; you won't! ;)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    People said similar things about cars, that we would become too dependent to the new technology. If you think big brother is tapping into your phone, you are sadly mistaken. If they had that capability, they would not be fighting Apple because of the encryption Apple bakes into their phones. To think that the NSA can know where you are at any given time is some tin foil had level thinking.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    People said similar things about cars, that we would become too dependent to the new technology. If you think big brother is tapping into your phone, you are sadly mistaken. If they had that capability, they would not be fighting Apple because of the encryption Apple bakes into their phones. To think that the NSA can know where you are at any given time is some tin foil had level thinking.

In a recent case (I honestly can't site exact instance), the LE agency was able to break through an I-Phone and dropped the effort to "force" Apple to give them the back door. If any can do it just a few years removed, they all can do it if they have any type of upper-level tech lab. Can the Sheriff of Jefferson Davis Parish do it? probably not, but a much larger more modern department can; and as I said; did!

The comparison of the automobile is not really germane to the modern phone. You didn't have to have a car like you invariably need a cell phone today. I think only the Amish are left in that department, and I bet they have succumbed too. Just try to lead and average daily life without having to inject yourself into a device that accesses the internet. I'll bet most people here in the US (and I mean the vast majority), can't go a full 24 hour weekday without hooking in. That should exemplify all anyone needs to see. Each day that passes, you are forced to log-in to the internet to perform almost any mundane task that we all did without just a few years ago.

But let's look at modern cars. 15 years ago, if my older model vehicle crapped out, I could piddle with it, and nine times out of ten fix it myself with my experience and basic cause and effect logic. Today, if it is not a flat tire, you are going to a shop that can; hook it up to a computer diagnostics module to tell you what you need to do to get it running again, or you are walking.

Tin foil or not, I put absolutely nothing past the capabilities of tech companies today. Their technologies and capabilities are incomprehensible to most. Let's talk in 5 years and see what has transpired. For now, I'll stick to my tech paranoia. For me, it's more beneficial to know they are further enslaving me than to foolishly think otherwise. Again, I will cite that Snowden's revelations about the NSA's capabilities were 7 years ago. That is a light year in computer tech. And even though the guy we were supposed to trust to head that department lied about it then! Why would I think they care about truth and privacy concerns now?

Anyway, it's for our own good! ;)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agents at the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been unable to extract data from nearly 7,000 mobile devices they have tried to access, the agency's director has said.

Christopher Wray said encryption on devices was "a huge, huge problem" for FBI investigations.

The agency had failed to access more than half of the devices it targeted in an 11-month period, he said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41721354

At a press conference today, an FBI official investigating the man who killed 26 people in a Texas church on Sunday said the agency can't open the shooter's encrypted phone. The agent painted the issue as a growing concern among law enforcement at all levels who can't access data on devices without their owner's credentials. It's essentially the same argument the FBI made two years ago when it demanded Apple help break into the phone of the San Bernardino shooter, a conflict that escalated into the courtroom.

"With the advance of the technology and the phones and the encryption, law enforcement at the state, local, and federal level is increasingly not able to get into these phones," said FBI special agent Christopher Combs.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/07/the-fbi-can-t-unlock-the-texas-church-shooter-s-phone/

So the much larger departments aren't aware they have that ability to open any phone they would like. As technology improves, so does the security on phones. Can the government "track" you in real time? Yes, sorta. The cannot track you via GPS information on the phone. They can track you based on the cell towers you are connected to. But that technology has been around for 20 years. And even then, the phone companies aren't just opening up the data to whatever governmental agency asks. It pretty much has to be a life or death situation such as a kidnapping for any sort of real time or not very delayed information. Even with a "standard" missing persons case, they will usually require a subpoena duces tecum.

As far as the phone/car comparison, it's not perfect. But just try to lead an average daily life without having a car to drive to work or to the grocery store. I'll bet most people here can't go a full 24 hour weekday without their car.

Top Bottom