Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    I wonder if the basis of that determination is human factor or gun and round performance...

I’m not even talking about the shooter. Strictly firearm choice.

But since you mentioned it, those who typically choose a shotgun for home defense are the least trained out there. I’m sure one of these guys are gonna get triggered and say they had all the training they need from their days in Vietnam.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    There is data to show that shotguns are inferior for home defense for a large percentage of the shooting community. There is a minconception that they are the end all be all.

There are many factors that go into a good defensive weapon.

Ease of use / Manual of arms
    Capacity
    Ammunition Selection
    Ballistics
    Controllability

How in the world did we survive this long without your expert advise?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’m not even talking about the shooter. Strictly firearm choice.

But since you mentioned it, those who typically choose a shotgun for home defense are the least trained out there. I’m sure one of these guys are gonna get triggered and say they had all the training they need from their days in Vietnam.

What training is better than combat experience in Vietnam? I’m curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Yep. You should always make it where the bad guy has to go through you to get to the rest of the family. I’m going to meet the threat so he can’t make his way to the back of the house where the family will be

When you think about it for privacy reasons most houses are not built with safety in mind , trailers are worse . If a perp breaks in he will likely be between the master bedroom and the other rooms . We have hijacked the op enough but I think we should put more time and thought into early detection and lighting .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    When you think about it for privacy reasons most houses are not built with safety in mind , trailers are worse . If a perp breaks in he will likely be between the master bedroom and the other rooms . We have hijacked the op enough but I think we should put more time and thought into early detection and lighting .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Totally agree

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Sounds like this thread has many Door Kickers and Cowboys.

Lol. That is true
    0f2873c14f896182238c55d1a8cfc7a2.gif

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    While I am not a member of the Massod Ayboob fan club, if you google massad ayoub shotgun, it seams he recomends a gas operated 20 gauge for home defense, Imagine that!!

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Sounds like this thread has many Door Kickers and Cowboys.

So far it’s been stated that capacity is unnecessary, because 12 gauge buckshot will kill someone in one hit. It’s been stated that they will hide in darkness and take the enemy by surprise. It’s also been stated that nothing beats the *knockdown power and intimidation* of a shotgun.

I want to know when I can sign up for a class from these experts.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    While I am not a member of the Massod Ayboob fan club, if you google massad ayoub shotgun, it seams he recomends a gas operated 20 gauge for home defense, Imagine that!!

And a ruger P95. Go figure

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So far it’s been stated that capacity is unnecessary, because 12 gauge buckshot will kill someone in one hit. It’s been stated that they will hide in darkness and take the enemy by surprise. It’s also been stated that nothing beats the *knockdown power and intimidation* of a shotgun.

I want to know when I can sign up for a class from these experts.

I said none of that and have yet to advocate the use of a shotgun, rifle or pistol. I merely pointed out that you wont get to take turns in a defensive situation, but somehow I’m a cowboy with delusions of grandeur.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    I said none of that and have yet to advocate the use of a shotgun, rifle or pistol. I merely pointed out that you wont get to take turns in a defensive situation, but somehow I’m a cowboy with delusions of grandeur.

Oh how cute, you thought I was talking about you. More delusions.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Oh how cute, you thought I was talking about you. More delusions.
    Amusing join a gun board and immediately begin to cause trouble, wow that’s never been done before. Do you feel bigger? I’ve censored myself quite a bit to avoid acting like a jackass, which I will continue to do because I find no benefit in acting an internet tough guy.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Amusing join a gun board and immediately begin to cause trouble, wow that’s never been done before. Do you feel bigger? I’ve censored myself quite a bit to avoid acting like a jackass, which I will continue to do because I find no benefit in acting an internet tough guy.

Just thinking the same thing

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I wonder how many of y'all have fired an AR in a combat situation, without hearing protection.

I'm mostly deaf, and I wasn't inside.

I'm not complaining. It get's me out of listening to my wife's rambling stories.

Go ahead. Choose that AR for defensive purposes indoors. Just be sure to sleep with your earpro in/on.

It'd be a much better option suppressed.

I will agree that rifle wounds are devastating. There is plenty of AR ammo available that does a good job of mitigating the problem of over penetration. That 'green tip' in your mag ain't one of them.

I have and the follow up shots are much quieter than the first one.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner

I’m not allowed to disagree with you and call you out for being smart with me? How hypocritical.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom