Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    WOW 16 pages this is fantastic !

I know right..... I had to go 5 pages back just to see if there were answers to my post on page 10 from 9am this morning.

Austin I have a request for us to implement the popcorn eating emote for this site. Can you make that happen? We have it on another forum I am on and it is specifically made for threads like this......

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Enough to know that Military training is not enough. Enough to know that you should never stop receiving training. Enough to know that I’m not an expert. Enough to know that a shotgun is a poor home defense choice.

How about you, old timer?

Oh, my training with AR's is limited. I qualified expert for about thirteen years in a row with one in the Army, and I used one to convince idiots to die for their country. That's about it, other than the occasional plinking post military.

So your training is superior to military training? Really? Please, expound a bit on this idea of yours.

Might just depend on what your job is/was in the military.

I've met some TRUE bad ass's in the military.

I did a favor for some UDT guys once that got me a challenge coin. It sits in a place of honor on my dresser.

I served with a SF guy who's idea of PT was having me steer a GOV every morning, while he pulled it up hills in Pennsylvania.

I've worked with guys whose service affiliation I still don't know. Spent ten days with them. I don't think they said that many words in that many days. Those guys were the very definition of bad ass.

I'm not taking anything away from LEO's, or SWAT members, but I think most of them will admit that the military is a whole different level of bad assery.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A short barreled suppressed AR is easier to fire multiple rounds accurately compared to a shotgun in the same time. Oh look, there’s that data again.

Rather than ask people on the internet, perhaps you can go collect your own data.

I’ve collected tons of data shooting Varmint profiles, Sporter profiles, HBARs profiles, rifle, carbine, SBRs, shotguns (pumps and semis), pistols, AR pistols, suppressed, no SBS or AOWs though so I’m lacking a little. I like guns and for the record they weren’t all mine. I will say my 28in 870 was easier to mount than the suppressed SBR some random guy at the range let me shoot a couple years ago. I imagine if that gun had a titanium suppressor it might have been easier to mount but it was stainless.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Wow 1.5 with a 6.5g ,I didn't know you could get one to shoot that good , maybe you hit the deer and just didn't have enough power to put it down . JUST JOKING , I'm a 6.8 man and had to poke a little bit ,you are 100% right paper ain't real shooting and you showed you are not trying to come off as a Billy Bad ass cowboy because you admitted under real stress and circumstances things can and did go wrong . I also applaud the fact you are including your youngun in your shooting.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Oh I probably hit him just not where I was supposed to.

I put her behind that gun before the day was out. I was proud she got it on paper. First time she shot a real gun. She loves her pink red rider though.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Oh, my training with AR's is limited. I qualified expert for about thirteen years in a row with one in the Army, and I used one to convince idiots to die for their country. That's about it, other than the occasional plinking post military.

So your training is superior to military training? Really? Please, expound a bit on this idea of yours.

I've met some TRUE bad ass's in the military.

I did a favor for some UDT guys once that got me a challenge coin. It sits in a place of honor on my dresser.

I served with a SF guy who's idea of PT was having me steer a GOV every morning, while he pulled it up hills in Pennsylvania.

I've worked with guys whose service affiliation I still don't know. Spent ten days with them. I don't think they said that many words in that many days. Those guys were the very definition of bad ass.

I'm not taking anything away from LEO's, or SWAT members, but I think most of them will admit that the military is a whole different level of bad assery.

Off Topic but Thank You for your Service Sir.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Damm, I miss 8 pages of comments by sleeping late this morning. Austin should have his ISP by now so we will know who Mr. billy badass really is. My bet is that he is d%^k bumping buddies with nola wannabeusmarine cop, who is egging him on..

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I can guarantee that I can put 8 holes in a reduced A zone faster than your B-29 at 25 yards.

You don’t want to be educated. The first thing you did was fight back when I made a comment.

You don’t understand it, because you’ve never done it.

Cool, so we have established that your opinion and arguments here don’t have much weight behind them.

Context is key.

So you’ve been a weekend plinker for a 1/4 of your life. Congrats?

More like a fifth of my life. Yes, a plinker that casts, loads, and shoots an average of 15-17K rounds, (as counted by primer usage), a year. For the last 15 years. Yes, I'm a plinker.

. . . and an old man with a shotgun.

Before that I was a soldier for a quarter of my life.

I hold no NRA qualifications, as do many on this site.
    I've never won a firearms competition, where nobody was shooting back at me. (I've come close though)
    I don't own a drop leg holster.
    I don't own a vest that holds thirty AR mags on my chest.
    I don't practice battle rolls. (Way too gimpy for that)
    I don't know jidjtsu, and I don't even know how to spell it apparently.
    I don't have special shoes that allow me to climb walls in the mall.
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of a special reactionary force in a major retail outlet.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Yeah ,I shot one right behind the shoulder with my 12.5 6.8 this year and hit front of the shoulder ,dead right there but if I had been off the same distance the other way it would have been gut shot city. Why can't people just be happy with what they have or use and let others be happy . I prefer 6.8 you 6.5 g is one better the other ? Yes 6.5 is better for you 6.8 is better for me because that is what makes us happy . Hell I don't care if it's a .300 b o as long as you tech your kids to safety shoot it . Be safe .

I put her behind that gun before the day was out. I was proud she got it on paper. First time she shot a real gun. She loves her pink red rider though.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don’t listen to me, ask every SWAT unit in the country why they primarily run carbines.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot a bill drill with a rifle, shotgun, and pistol.

Compare the data.

I'm pretty sure I speak for a number of people following along when I suggest you are too focused on the Bill Drill. That training can easily be incorporated into a complete training package. Training only using the Bill Drill will not give you the skills needed in a self defense situation. Not using the Bill Drill at all will not prevent you from having the skills necessary in a self defense situation. The Dill Drill is not the end all be all and it's not important. What's important is obtaining the skills used to run the Bill Drill.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What kind of wood is the table made of? Is this something you built?

I have no carpentry skills lol. It’s an old hope chest that we repurposed to a coffee table. I’m not sure on the type of wood either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

You are a lucky man. Biggest mistake of my life was thinking I was too busy to have kids. I'm truly jealous and envious of you.

Off Topic but Thank You for your Service Sir.

I get this, and always feel a bit embarrassed, so I'll say this:

It was the greatest honor of my life, having the privilege to serve. I got to do some really cool stuff, and go some really disgusting places. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Damm, I miss 8 pages of comments by sleeping late this morning. Austin should have his ISP by now so we will know who Mr. billy badass really is. My bet is that he is d%^k bumping buddies with nola wannabeusmarine cop, who is egging him on..

Slacker.

My bet is that he's NOPD, and hangs out with a Dutchman.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yeah ,I shot one right behind the shoulder with my 12.5 6.8 this year and hit front of the shoulder ,dead right there but if I had been off the same distance the other way it would have been gut shot city. Why can't people just be happy with what they have or use and let others be happy . I prefer 6.8 you 6.5 g is one better the other ? Yes 6.5 is better for you 6.8 is better for me because that is what makes us happy . Hell I don't care if it's a .300 b o as long as you tech your kids to safety shoot it . Be safe .

Right on.

Ill probably get called a fudd by Mr. HSLD but I’m also a fan of 30-06. My next build will likely be a 1:8 twist 30-06, if I can make op my mind on which action.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    I'm pretty sure I speak for a number of people following along when I suggest you are too focused on the Bill Drill. That training can easily be incorporated into a complete training package. Training only using the Bill Drill will not give you the skills needed in a self defense situation. Not using the Bill Drill at all will not prevent you from having the skills necessary in a self defense situation. The Dill Drill is not the end all be all and it's not important. What's important is obtaining the skills used to run the Bill Drill.

Sounds like you are too focused on it, not me.

I suggested they shoot a bill drill with three different firearms to compare data.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Right on.

Ill probably get called a fudd by Mr. HSLD but I’m also a fan of 30-06. My next build will likely be a 1:8 twist 30-06, if I can make op my mind on which action.

Hey, I'm a FUDD, apparently. :rofl:

1:8? Big heavy components. :) Long action. Sako?

It won't burn barrels too bad, so go big on the barrel.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You are a lucky man. Biggest mistake of my life was thinking I was too busy to have kids. I'm truly jealous and envious of you.

Yeah kids awesome. I’m not the best dad in the world. I have almost no patience, expect absolute obedience, and am quite a D*ck at times, but I love my kids, wouldn’t trade them for all the riches in the world. And I thank God for my wife she’s a saint to put up with me.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Lol. I normally don't hijack posts and did try to sway this one back to the original post but it's too far gone to save now . I used to shoot 30/06 a lot and if you cannot kill it with a 180 grain partition it doesn't need killed . As matter of fact right after they quit making the single shot Handy rifle I found a brand new one in 30/06 and bought it just because . Maybe one day I'll get around to shooting it
    Right on.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Hey, I'm a FUDD, apparently. :rofl:

1:8? Big heavy components. :) Long action. Sako?

It won't burn barrels too bad, so go big on the barrel.

Yeah, I like heavier weight bullets for 30cal. BC ain’t everything but it what makes the 6.5/.264 what it is. I enjoy shooting a little further out, and I’m finally gonna try my hand at reloading with the Grendel so I figured 30s with stupid long ojives might be fun too.

Top Bottom