Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It boils down to the world may suck, but at least it sucks consistently. Higher BC does cut your wind reading error. Everybody that sucks @ wind reading raise your hand. My hand goes up. Range estimation can also be an issue on UKD targets.

Or you could just use a dang shotgun and don't worry about it.;)

Shotgun thing:
    There was a slow motion film I saw of a shotgun shooting balloons with bird shot. Shot spread vertically and horizontally. It also spreads front to back. I always pictured it as a wall of shot. I now picture it as a more of ball of shot. Just never thought about it before seeing that.

Speaking of Shotguns - 20 pages in and no word from the OP.

It's actually a 'string' of shot, from what I've seen. A moving target may move through your string of shot. If you're swinging through, when you shoot, that string may not be cylindrical. More of a parallelogram, but rounded.

I'm learning much more about shotguns, and shotgun ballistics, now that I'm reloading for them.

One day I hope to not embarrass myself at shooting skeet. As it stands now, I leave a lot of breeders out there.

I've been practicing with a .410, hoping to aim small, miss small.

Right now I'm doing a horrible job of vinyl wrapping a Win Mod 12, 20ga. I'm a butcher, I tell ya.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It's actually a 'string' of shot, from what I've seen. A moving target may move through your string of shot. If you're swinging through, when you shoot, that string may not be cylindrical. More of a parallelogram, but rounded.

Yep. I always thought about it as a 2D spread, not 3D spread.

Right now I'm doing a horrible job of vinyl wrapping a Win Mod 12, 20ga. I'm a butcher, I tell ya.

Then try some butcher paper.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.

I'm learning much more about shotguns, and shotgun ballistics, now that I'm reloading for them.

One day I hope to not embarrass myself at shooting skeet. As it stands now, I leave a lot of breeders out there.

I've been practicing with a .410, hoping to aim small, miss small.

A 410 is tuff to shoot skeet with

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A 410 is tuff to shoot skeet with

Preach it brother.

Like I said: I figure if I can learn to hit them with a half ounce payload, I'll be good enough with a 12 not to embarrass myself.

Aim small miss small, and all that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Why does my choice of firearm bother you so much. Do you need affirmation that your choices are the best choices?

Like reading comprehension, tact, and humility are also learned skills.

Best post in this thread

Although, I did skip from page 10 to here..and I must admit to having a good laugh at
    ‘Bill Drill’.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    07e5a24f4a58d89753c2898c3cf5989f.jpg

Like them so much I bought another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I saw The Terminator movie
    That shotgun ain't jack when your John Connor

Where has yo ol ass been? you missed all kind of education here last night and today; I can hook u up with aStoeger double barrel 20 ga. coach gun so you can joint the club; ill even load for you

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh, NO, the machine gun toting thugs have you outgunned, and it must be hard to use if you cant cut that plastic film

It's OK Magdump has had the training to remove the 'gun' without cutting the plastic film.
    Lol, you guys crack me up. I did indeed tear that plastic film off with my teeth so I could feel the gun next to my skin...mmmmm

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh, NO, the machine gun toting thugs have you outgunned, and it must be hard to use if you cant cut that plastic film

I saw The Terminator movie
    That shotgun ain't jack when your John Connor
    You talking about that lever action shotgun? Those are cool..

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Its not just the 1/2 oz. load, almost all 410s are full choke
    Including the Mossberg pump I'm using.

I'm looking for a more appropriate double barrel, in my poverty stricken price range. Watching an auction on GB right now.

07e5a24f4a58d89753c2898c3cf5989f.jpg

Like them so much I bought another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bought another anti-parking lot road rage lock?

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    As a kid growing up in the 60s, my dad bought me a Stevens #311, 410 to match his Fox 16 ga., kept it several years then he sold it and bought me a Mossberg 500 12ga., still have it. Been looking for that 410 double barrel for over 20 years now and can't find it. I live in a small town so its not far, just no one will admit to having it, the first 2 owners after me have passed away.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    You should go to Academy Sports & Outdoors and look at the Yildiz 410 O/U, for around $400; great lil shotguns, I got my grandon a 20 ga. for Christmas; at 13 yoa he is already shooting 84/100 at skeet range. I think even the 410s have choke tubes

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    As a kid growing up in the 60s, my dad bought me a Stevens #311, 410 to match his Fox 16 ga., kept it several years then he sold it and bought me a Mossberg 500 12ga., still have it. Been looking for that 410 double barrel for over 20 years now and can't find it. I live in a small town so its not far, just no one will admit to having it, the first 2 owners after me have passed away.

There are many firearms that I regret letting get away from me.
    I know the feeling.

You should go to Academy Sports & Outdoors and look at the Yildiz 410 O/U, for around $400; great lil shotguns, I got my grandon a 20 ga. for Christmas; at 13 yoa he is already shooting 84/100 at skeet range. I think even the 410s have choke tubes

That is an option. I'd rather save a bit more and get a Mossberg Silver Pigeon. Still made in Turkey, but the receiver is steel, not aluminum.

I have both a Yildiz, and a Mossberg over/under in 12 ga. I much prefer the Mossberg.

I've an AyA side by side in 12ga that is an absolute joy to shoot, with it's generous amount of cast on, but it's fixed chokes are a limiting factor.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Including the Mossberg pump I'm using.

I'm looking for a more appropriate double barrel, in my poverty stricken price range. Watching an auction on GB right now.

You bought another anti-parking lot road rage lock?
    Yeah, I’m a sucker. Just ordered the .410 too so I can ditch my snake charmer maybe..

Best side by side I’ve found for the money is Stoeger. I’m sure they’re more now but my coach gun is an awesome piece that cost less than $300 OTD new. I’m told most of the Turkish guns are a great value as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom