Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I think if given the choice of staying in the dark and letting the bad guy be in the light is a good idea , I don't understand why you would not think so . Also if I need to go to the center of the house or get between the threat and loved ones on the other end of the house I think clearing the next room before I charge through it would be the smart thing . I may not be an expert and never claimed to be but I do know someone who doesn't understand using lighting as a tool and knowing when to stay put and when to go to the threat and how to clear a room if need be to get to the threat is not an expert either . Ridiculing other people's opinions doesn't make you any more qualified than them , no two situations are the same . If you want to charge through the house not clearing rooms or turn the lights on so you are a better target or not get between your loved ones and the threat that is your plan ,go for it . Hope for the best prepare for the worst .
    So far it’s been stated that capacity is unnecessary, because 12 gauge buckshot will kill someone in one hit. It’s been stated that they will hide in darkness and take the enemy by surprise. It’s also been stated that nothing beats the *knockdown power and intimidation* of a shotgun.

I want to know when I can sign up for a class from these experts.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    I think if given the choice of staying in the dark and letting the bad guy be in the light is a good idea , I don't understand why you would not think so . Also if I need to go to the center of the house or get between the threat and loved ones on the other end of the house I think clearing the next room before I charge through it would be the smart thing . I may not be an expert and never claimed to be but I do know someone who doesn't understand using lighting as a tool and knowing when to stay put and when to go to the threat and how to clear a room if need be to get to the threat is not an expert either . Ridiculing other people's opinions doesn't make you any more qualified than them , no two situations are the same . If you want to charge through the house not clearing rooms or turn the lights on so you are a better target or not get between your loved ones and the threat that is your plan ,go for it . Hope for the best prepare for the worst .

Fantasizing about hypothetical scenarios is what I’m poking fun at. If you want to discuss home invasion tactics, this probably isn’t the thread to do it. I doubt many here are experts on that topic.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    1. If it won't go through a little drywall, it won't go through enough bad guy.

2. At short distance (in a house) a shotgun isn't likely to spread enough to make up for bad aim.

Still, round for round, 00 buck is pretty hard to beat in the "stop the threat" department. Get in the bedroom, behind the bed, barrel on the door while you wait for LEO to show is a good plan for a shotgun, but it may not fit your needs.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Fantasizing about hypothetical scenarios is what I’m poking fun at. If you want to discuss home invasion tactics, this probably isn’t the thread to do it. I doubt many here are experts on that topic.
    If a Leo is training or discussing tactics is that fantasizing? What about combat troops are they fantasizing? Being prepared does not mean fantasizing about it. Remember the Wacko who just recently walked in and killed a girls mom and dad so he could kidnap their daughter? I'm not paranoid but we have started locking the doors and discussed scenarios such as if we are in bed -living room watching TV or in the yard and a problem arises . Things like don't turn on light if in bed , don't group up stay separated . My wife owned an AR before I did and deer hunts with a 6.8 AR and is calm headed and a good shot , what would be the appropriate action for us to take may be 100% wrong for someone . Of course we could just not discuss scenarios and hide behind bed and hope the deputy that shows up 45 minutes to an hour later has "fantasized" what to do better than the one protecting the Fla. Students. ( NOT a slam on Leos in general ,I am friends with and shoot with several county and state Leo.) You are correct in its not the thread to discuss tactics as the op was about shot guns and I believe we have successfully turned it around and gotten on subject so please read the op and have the imaginary discussion with a friend about shot gun defense . I have stated my thoughts on sd shot guns but that doesn't mean I know it all and would like to see what others think.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So far it’s been stated that capacity is unnecessary, because 12 gauge buckshot will kill someone in one hit. It’s been stated that they will hide in darkness and take the enemy by surprise. It’s also been stated that nothing beats the *knockdown power and intimidation* of a shotgun.

LMAO, IF that’s what you took from this thread then maybe you just need to go back to school period. Got some comprehension problems I think...

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    There is data to show that shotguns are inferior for home defense for a large percentage of the shooting community. There is a minconception that they are the end all be all.

There are many factors that go into a good defensive weapon.

Ease of use / Manual of arms
    Capacity
    Ammunition Selection
    Ballistics
    Controllability

Since you stated it, where is this data?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    e7796c072a92252a33cd9b88ec2dc8ee.jpg
    on my coffee table as I’m watching tv now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What kind of wood is the table made of? Is this something you built?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

‘Inferior for home defense for a large percentage of the shooting community’

That sounds like most people just can’t make a shotgun work for them in a home defense situation?
    I’m just wondering how many case studies these ‘facts’ and ‘data’ were derived from.... like 3 prolly?

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Why?

You said you have one of those little shotguns, right? So that’s about 5 rounds of your favorite load. It’s also slower than an auto shotgun. How fast can you dump five rounds and reload?
    Reading comprehension is a learned skill. I said the capacity of my 'little shotgun' is eight rounds, not five.
    I do not subscribe to the spray and pray club, as you obviously do. I'll remain calm and make my eight rounds count.

Reloads are in the 'blink of an eye', as the fastest reload is another gun. I'll toss the empty firearm, and grab a pistol, if my home is ever invaded by a squad of bad guys. I've already stated that it is just my wife, and I. I've got several firearms loaded and at the ready. Within arms reach.

Now, how fast can you grab your spare mag from your pajamas and reload your wonder nine? Where IS your spare mag while you are asleep in bed ? Where is your firearm ?

Why does my choice of firearm bother you so much. Do you need affirmation that your choices are the best choices?

Are you arguing that your plastic fantastic wonder nine shoots magic bullets that are more lethal than eight .33 cal pellets of 00 buck ? Seriously ? Please, provide me with the ballistic testing and real world data to back up this claim.

Also; My reading comprehension leads me to infer that you ARE an expert, based on the above quote. Please, enlighten us with your combat experience, and real world gunfight prowess. Nothing beats a good war story.

I have and the follow up shots are much quieter than the first one.

Yes. Yes they are.;)
    How's your hearing these days ? :eek3:
    . . . and thank you for your service.

I’m not allowed to disagree with you and call you out for being smart with me? How hypocritical.

Like reading comprehension, tact, and humility are also learned skills. Bless your heart.

Are you an expert on home invasions? How many home invasions have you prevailed in ? Which side were you on ?

I've never actually been involved in a home invasion. All of my plans are based on made up, hypothetical situations. Yet, I plan. I prepare. I practice.

1. If it won't go through a little drywall, it won't go through enough bad guy.

2. At short distance (in a house) a shotgun isn't likely to spread enough to make up for bad aim.

Still, round for round, 00 buck is pretty hard to beat in the "stop the threat" department. Get in the bedroom, behind the bed, barrel on the door while you wait for LEO to show is a good plan for a shotgun, but it may not fit your needs.

Yep.

Yes. Where is this mystical data ?

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Are we discussing playing games, or home defense?

If I were playing games, I'd use firearms suited to that game.

How well can you shoot the green monster with your wonder nine?

Since reading comprehension is difficult for you, let me break it down into something you can understand...

How fast can you accurately place six shots from your TAC-14 into a 6 inch target at 7 yards? How about at 3 yards since you said your house is small.

It’s a question relevant to the OP’s questions.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Wow this thread really took off once I left.

Austin, I hope my dog doesn't like the guy breaking in with a steak but hopefully because of his size he slows them down and makes them think twice about going upstairs. On the other hand my cousin who had been coming to my house regularly was messing with my girls one day and chasing them up the stairs my dog got up and went after him and was ready to take his head off until the girls stopped screaming and my wife got him under control so hopefully his protective instinct overrides the "oooh steak thanks friend instinct".

Serious question here......... Why do people bag on gas-operated semi-auto shotguns so much and say the are unreliable when these same people will talk about how awesome and reliable their gas operated semi-auto pistols are? Is there some reason the same physics don't work as well in the shotgun versus the pistol? I don't use my 11-87 for home defense but that thing eats anything from low power target loads to 3in turkey loads with no hiccups. If someone can explain to me why this is I would appreciate it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Since reading comprehension is difficult for you, let me break it down into something you can understand...

How fast can you accurately place six shots from your TAC-14 into a 6 inch target at 7 yards? How about at 3 yards since you said your house is small.

Talk about fantasizing. Please tell us more.

I can put ten rounds of 6.5G in a 1.5 inch group in probably 20-25 seconds at 100yrd with my 5 year old calling each shot on a live range no less, but I muffed a shot on a whitetail this year with the same gun. So play with your toys all you want I know I enjoy playing with mine.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Wow this thread really took off once I left.

Austin, I hope my dog doesn't like the guy breaking in with a steak but hopefully because of his size he slows them down and makes them think twice about going upstairs. On the other hand my cousin who had been coming to my house regularly was messing with my girls one day and chasing them up the stairs my dog got up and went after him and was ready to take his head off until the girls stopped screaming and my wife got him under control so hopefully his protective instinct overrides the "oooh steak thanks friend instinct".

Serious question here......... Why do people bag on gas-operated semi-auto shotguns so much and say the are unreliable when these same people will talk about how awesome and reliable their gas operated semi-auto pistols are? Is there some reason the same physics don't work as well in the shotgun versus the pistol? I don't use my 11-87 for home defense but that thing eats anything from low power target loads to 3in turkey loads with no hiccups. If someone can explain to me why this is I would appreciate it.

Ironically, pump shotguns are typically less reliable than a properly gassed semi auto shotgun. I’ve seen popular pump guns fail. When they do fail, it’s catastrophic.

When someone tells you they prefer a pump shotgun for home defense they are either highly trained or a fudd. Most fall into the latter.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Talk about fantasizing. Please tell us more.

I can put ten rounds of 6.5G in a 1.5 inch group in probably 20-25 seconds at 100yrd with my 5 year old calling each shot on a live range no less, but I muffed a shot on a whitetail this year with the same gun. So play with your toys all you want I know I enjoy playing with mine.

You call it fantasizing, I call it a *Bill Drill.*

A drill developed by Bill Wilson. If you don’t know what it is, you should do some research.

You want to be Billy Badass and fantasize about how you will kill an intruder, but you seem to have no clue when it comes to performing the necessary tasks to do so.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ironically, pump shotguns are typically less reliable than a properly gassed semi auto shotgun. I’ve seen popular pump guns fail. When they do fail, it’s catastrophic.

When someone tells you they prefer a pump shotgun for home defense they are either highly trained or a fudd. Most fall into the latter.

When I was young boy I hunted with my 870. The black stock was often brown from the muddy trails an my lack of attentiveness. One time some grit got in the action and cause the feed ramp to jam. It was a cluster that would be hard to clear in a gunfight but that’s all I’ve got. What could catastrophicly fail? (Actual question I’m not baiting you)

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Deflecting much? How about answering some questions yourself?

Once again:

Please state YOUR qualifications, for all of us to admire.

I could care less how you score in games involving firearms. Games are nice, but a target doesn't shoot back.

What is your real world experience that makes you an expert in this subject matter?

Top Bottom