Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Actually if you live in the country like I do 30/06 is a great home defense caliber , I can engage them 300 yards before they get to the door. Sorry , could not resist it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Yeah, I like heavier weight bullets for 30cal. BC ain’t everything but it what makes the 6.5/.264 what it is. I enjoy shooting a little further out, and I’m finally gonna try my hand at reloading with the Grendel so I figured 30s with stupid long ojives might be fun too.

Heavier projectiles can still have a decent BC. Not like the 180's I'm playing with for .300 AAC. Those are made for a thirty-thirty and have the BC of a St. Joe brick.
    Heavier projectiles are better for bucking the wind too. I was never great at doping the wind, so these things help at longer ranges.

Good job, Moderators

:dogkeke:

I think his real name is Gecko45. I was beginning to allude to that in my posts.

For those of y'all with time and brain cells to spare, read this: https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
    You'll chuckle, I guarantee.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Actually if you live in the country like I do 30/06 is a great home defense caliber , I can engage them 300 yards before they get to the door. Sorry , could not resist it.

You'll have to shoot that out of a suppressed AR.

Have you got a receiver stretcher?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I think his real name is Gecko45. I was beginning to allude to that in my posts.

For those of y'all with time and brain cells to spare, read this: https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Although that is possible, I'm pretty sure he's an old member who got banned, signed up for a new name then got banned again then signed up for a new new name then got banned again again.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You'll have to shoot that out of a suppressed AR.

Have you got a receiver stretcher?

Although that is possible, I'm pretty sure he's an old member who got banned, signed up for a new name then got banned again then signed up for a new new name then got banned again again.

So we're going to run the Bill Drill with a suppressed AR chambered in 30/06?

Only AFTER we retrieve it from the locked safe.

Oh yeah...no hearing protection allowed.

:rofl:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Heavier projectiles can still have a decent BC. Not like the 180's I'm playing with for .300 AAC. Those are made for a thirty-thirty and have the BC of a St. Joe brick.
    Heavier projectiles are better for bucking the wind too. I was never great at doping the wind, so these things help at longer range

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. 208-220 seem be where it’s at against the wind. Drop is easier to understand than wind if you ask me. Then combine that with competing wind directions and I’m sure it can be done, but I’m just starting to push past my 250-300 yard limits I’ve always given myself.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Yeah that’s what I was getting at. 208-220 seem be where it’s at against the wind. Drop is easier to understand than wind if you ask me. Then combine that with competing wind directions and I’m sure it can be done, but I’m just starting to push past my 250-300 yard limits I’ve always given myself.

I've got some Sierra 220gr HPBT Match Kings, if'n you want to try a few.

Since you're in a location near me, you can just pass by and pick up a handful to try.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've got some Sierra 220gr HPBT Match Kings, if'n you want to try a few.

Since you're in a location near me, you can just pass by and pick up a handful to try.

Lol I’ve seen that a few dozen times I thought it would be fun. I live outside of Hattiesburg it’s no big secret.

Edit: Well I guess I breached OpSec. Now I have to move.

Clichés are amusing I count myself luckey bangswitch was available.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Heavier projectiles are better for bucking the wind too. I was never great at doping the wind, so these things help at longer ranges.

WOW ,I was going to read this and take a nap but it was so long I read it instead of a nap . Gunnar heck but also scary to think they are amongst us.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    After all the fun today I almost feel we need some type of beer summit or shooting summit. Anyone want to go to McHenry and run bill drills. Lol

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Drop is easier to understand than wind if you ask me.

It boils down to the world may suck, but at least it sucks consistently. Higher BC does cut your wind reading error. Everybody that sucks @ wind reading raise your hand. My hand goes up. Range estimation can also be an issue on UKD targets.

Or you could just use a dang shotgun and don't worry about it.;)

Shotgun thing:
    There was a slow motion film I saw of a shotgun shooting balloons with bird shot. Shot spread vertically and horizontally. It also spreads front to back. I always pictured it as a wall of shot. I now picture it as a more of ball of shot. Just never thought about it before seeing that.

Speaking of Shotguns - 20 pages in and no word from the OP.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    It boils down to the world may suck, but at least it sucks consistently. Higher BC does cut your wind reading error. Everybody that sucks @ wind reading raise your hand. My hand goes up. Range estimation can also be an issue on UKD targets.

Shotgun thing:
    There was a slow motion film I saw of a shotgun shooting balloons with bird shot. Shot spread vertically and horizontally. It also spreads front to back. I always pictured it as a wall of shot. I now picture it as a more of ball of shot. Just never thought about it before seeing that.

You didn't notice he was banned?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I agree with wind estimation ,I just got back home from armadillo patrol on the farm and the wind is blowing bad across the pasture . I did not see any but if I had I would have definitely gotten as close as possible and tried to get the wind to my back. As far as shotgun patterns go I have some triple shot turkey loads that are a long cylinder in flight, it not only has 3 different sizes but one is heavier than lead . The original op said he was going to let us discuss the shotgun for HD and then decide who to debate or engage in conversation with , maybe he decided we are too radical or biased .

Shotgun thing:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I hope not ,his question made an other wise boring day interesting . Besides he said whether he agreed or not he would argue with one of us ,Hmmm maybe he has been commenting all along just under a different name.
    You didn't notice he was banned?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    :wavey: Hey at least we know and recognize our weaknesses and take steps to mitigate the affects. I have a cheat sheet I keep in my wallet to help me range in the deer stand. I use the mils in my scope to range and I make a game of it. Hell if I’m there for 6 hours may as well. I’ve found it’s increased my skills both with and without optics from doofus to amateur.

Top Bottom