Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wonder how many of y'all have fired an AR in a combat situation, without hearing protection.

I'm mostly deaf, and I wasn't inside.

I'm not complaining. It get's me out of listening to my wife's rambling stories.

Go ahead. Choose that AR for defensive purposes indoors. Just be sure to sleep with your earpro in/on.

It'd be a much better option suppressed.

I will agree that rifle wounds are devastating. There is plenty of AR ammo available that does a good job of mitigating the problem of over penetration. That 'green tip' in your mag ain't one of them.

We manned an OP position about 12 miles south of Abu Ghraib prison on Route Tampa and we set up an impromptu re-qualification lane. I happened to be about 15 feet away at someone's 2:00 when they fired off a round and I didn't have my earpro in. That one shot was quite loud so I can only imagine a firefight. I only ended up having a small amount of hearing loss and tinnitus. I keep a pair of electronic ear muffs next to my home defense (AR) pistol. It's not my only option but I like to have options. But I live on about 20 acres. Over penetration isn't an issue for me. My wife isn't a firearms expert but she's mentioned that before as well. But anyway, with the electronic ear muffs turned all the way up, I can hear a heck of a lot more that with the naked ear.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I wonder how many of y'all have fired an AR in a combat situation, without hearing protection.

I'm not complaining. It get's me out of listening to my wife's rambling stories.

Go ahead. Choose that AR for defensive purposes indoors. Just be sure to sleep with your earpro in/on.

I will agree that rifle wounds are devastating. There is plenty of AR ammo available that does a good job of mitigating the problem of over penetration. That 'green tip' in your mag ain't one of them.

When it’s a deadly force encounter inside my home with my family, I’ll settle for a little hearing loss if that’s the worse thing I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Wanna challenge my HK91?

954e86b8599402c463ce88c4d56555bf.gif

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    When it’s a deadly force encounter inside my home with my family, I’ll settle for a little hearing loss if that’s the worse thing I get.

I hunt with an ar15 chambered in 6.5mm Grendel with a pepper-pot style muzzle brake. I had shot the gun many times at a covered range with ear pro before I took it hunting. The first time I fired it from a shooting house I didn’t flip up the window a full 90 degrees so I got a segnicant increase in muzzle blast/report bouncing back. So much that I felt the shockwave smack me in the face. After the second time I removed the brake and re-zeroed. I have hunted since I was a boy and have tried ear pro in the stand a few times but can’t get on board, so I have shot a fair number of rounds of high power rifle from semi-enclosed spaces and it can be disorienting, but probably less than receiving fire from one.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA

I totally agree with this statement. I kind of take it with a grain of salt when you see all the cop shows showing them crashing a house and they are all just shooting around whether pistols or AR and then they are totally fine afterwards and can all just hear each other fine that crap is loud especially in a confined space.

I haven't been in combat but just shooting outdoors sighting in or just plinking it makes my ears ring so I started wearing electronic ear pro even outside. With that in mind I like my shorty 9mm AR with Octane45 and 33 rounds of 147gr HP loaded up. It is Hollywood quiet and my nearest neighbor is about 150 yds in either direction and family will either be behind me in the master or upstairs so the firing lanes are solid. My dog sleeps at the top of the stairs so I pity the burglar that tries to get up there as they will have 90lbs of pissed off dog in their face and probably a bad fall backwards down the stairs to look forward too. But to each their own.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Long guns are great when you have them. But I personally don't lean a long gun against my stove as I'm cooking.

Criminals aren't (usually) smart. It's likely that they break in when you are awake and not in your bedroom, closet, or bunker.

How do you respond to a presumably armed intruder if you're sitting on your couch? Or cooking eggs and bacon? What if your family is with you. Can you really move yourself and everyone out of threats way AND get to your long gun in sufficient time?

Also, still playing devils advocate here: Most dogs won't bite people unless they have been trained to do so. Most will run and hide under stress. Even the big ones that bark. Yes, they are a decent deterrent, but I don't think they can be relied on to do much more than deter someone. Dogs have motivations as well. If you give a random German Shepherd a big steak, he'll prob be like hey, I kind of like this guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Austin, you keep saying 'long guns' like a full size shotgun, I have a double barrel coach gun ajaycent to back door, short bbl pump by front door, 44 spec revolver bedside, and 45 acp in desk drawer, so I guess im covered. coach gun and short pump is no longer than an ar15

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Austin, you keep saying 'long guns' like a full size shotgun, I have a double barrel coach gun ajaycent to back door, short bbl pump by front door, 44 spec revolver bedside, and 45 acp in desk drawer, so I guess im covered. coach gun and short pump is no longer than an ar15

All of those combined and you still have less capacity than a Hi-Point.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Long guns are great when you have them. But I personally don't lean a long gun against my stove as I'm cooking.

Criminals aren't (usually) smart. It's likely that they break in when you are awake and not in your bedroom, closet, or bunker.

How do you respond to a presumably armed intruder if you're sitting on your couch? Or cooking eggs and bacon? What if your family is with you. Can you really move yourself and everyone out of threats way AND get to your long gun in sufficient time?

Also, still playing devils advocate here: Most dogs won't bite people unless they have been trained to do so. Most will run and hide under stress. Even the big ones that bark. Yes, they are a decent deterrent, but I don't think they can be relied on to do much more than deter someone. Dogs have motivations as well. If you give a random German Shepherd a big steak, he'll prob be like hey, I kind of like this guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

e7796c072a92252a33cd9b88ec2dc8ee.jpg
    on my coffee table as I’m watching tv now lol

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Shot guns kick ,no getting around it . If using a 12 shoot reduced recoil buck shot or use a 20 gauge . If clearing rooms a pistol is a lot easier to keep close to your body and out of bad guys hands . I have a couple of pistols stashed around the house and a handgun and 6.8 AR pistol close to the bed . I live 1 mile through woods from nearest neighbor and 45 minutes from police and the Ozarks are full of meth zombies so you cannot be to careful.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Shot guns kick ,no getting around it . If using a 12 shoot reduced recoil buck shot or use a 20 gauge . If clearing rooms a pistol is a lot easier to keep close to your body and out of bad guys hands . I have a couple of pistols stashed around the house and a handgun and 6.8 AR pistol close to the bed . I live 1 mile through woods from nearest neighbor and 45 minutes from police and the Ozarks are full of meth zombies so you cannot be to careful.

Nobody with half a clue is clearing rooms.

Don’t know about you fellas, but a rifle makes sense when your neighbors house is further than arms reach.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    All of those combined and you still have less capacity than a Hi-Point.

I'm 72 yoa, been at 'this' since early 70s, was a deputy when 38 special revolvers was the norm, I know how to shoot and not worried about anyone with a Hi pert unless theres about 25 of them.. When you splader the guts of the first one, do you really think the others will say "OK i'm next", they will be assholes and elbows looking for the way they came in...

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    I'm 72 yoa, been at 'this' since early 70s, was a deputy when 38 special revolvers was the norm, I know how to shoot and not worried about anyone with a Hi pert unless theres about 25 of them.. When you splader the guts of the first one, do you really think the others will say "OK i'm next", they will be assholes and elbows looking for the way they came in...

LOL right...

Boomers never miss.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Uh, ok

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Exactly if it ever happens to me it won’t be a Jason Stratham movie where the bad guys take turns. Dirtbags prefer to breath through just the one hole like the rest of us.

To expand that thought a touch further few can draw fire and continue to fight instead of flee, much less take fire continue the fight.

Last edited:

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Exactly if it ever happens to me it won’t be a Jason Stratham movie where the bad guys take turns. Dirtbags prefer to breath through just the one hole like the rest of us.

To expand that thought a touch further few can draw fire and continue to fight instead of flee, much less take fire continue the fight.

You two live a life of delusion.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I agree clearing rooms is not something usually advisable but if glass breaks and you want to get kids to a safe room I can see someone trying to . On one hand if someone is kicking the door in do you really want to direct his attention to the kids room by being there ? Most kids are going to run to parents room if awakened and scared which can also put them in danger . There are too many scenarios and every house and situation is different so the cookie cutter one plan fits all doesn't work . If I hear someone breaking in during the night I would stay put in my room or master bedroom depending on where they were entering but if I had kids in the extra rooms I would get to the center of the house and wait . Me personally I would only use a handgun if I could not get to my AR pistol or carbine in time but I don't have kids and my Lab will definitely let me know before anyone gets in .
    Nobody with half a clue is clearing rooms.

Don’t know about you fellas, but a rifle makes sense when your neighbors house is further than arms reach.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I agree clearing rooms is not something usually advisable but if glass breaks and you want to get kids to a safe room I can see someone trying to . On one hand if someone is kicking the door in do you really want to direct his attention to the kids room by being there ? Most kids are going to run to parents room if awakened and scared which can also put them in danger . There are too many scenarios and every house and situation is different so the cookie cutter one plan fits all doesn't work . If I hear someone breaking in during the night I would stay put in my room or master bedroom depending on where they were entering but if I had kids in the extra rooms I would get to the center of the house and wait . Me personally I would only use a handgun if I could not get to my AR pistol or carbine in time but I don't have kids and my Lab will definitely let me know before anyone gets in .

Yep. You should always make it where the bad guy has to go through you to get to the rest of the family. I’m going to meet the threat so he can’t make his way to the back of the house where the family will be

Top Bottom