Shotguns for home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Ohhhh BRM... yea uh no. It’s a gun, or a rifle, or a carbine, or a firearm, or whatever the hell else you want to call it. You are running out of arguments to justify your fudd gun, so you are arguing semantics

Yes. Basic Rifle Marksmanship. Every recruit goes through this. Every recruit hates doing push-ups. Push-ups are something you do when you call a rifle a 'gun'. This is why veterans chuckle when a civilian calls a firearm a 'gun'. Cause we want them to do push-ups, like we had to.

I'm not running out of arguments at all. I offer no expertise to justify my decision. In fact, I want to be like you. Only problem is, I have no idea what your qualifications are, so I don't know if I should listen to you or not.:rolleyes:

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    So you've got a M-4 Carbine, with a silencer, that is circa 30" OAL ?

Are you a member of a SWAT team?

Any weight you add to the muzzle end of a long gun, inhibits your ability to turn corners and aim effectively. It's called 'momentum'. I didn't have to join a SWAT team to lean physics. I graduated from Orleans Public Schools.

Wrong war buddy.

LOL like I said, you also apparently have no clue.

You are cute. I must remind you this is the internet and you showed up yesterday. I showed up last month so... I think it’s safe to say you know less than nothing about what training I’ve had and what my skills of lack of look like.

I do know there are tons of want-to-bes running around the internet and I’m not one of them.

What training do you have with shotguns?

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Yes. Basic Rifle Marksmanship. Every recruit goes through this. Every recruit hates doing push-ups. Push-ups are something you do when you call a rifle a 'gun'. This is why veterans chuckle when a civilian calls a firearm a 'gun'. Cause we want them to do push-ups, like we had to.

I'm not running out of arguments at all. I offer no expertise to justify my decision. In fact, I want to be like you. Only problem is, I have no idea what your qualifications are, so I don't know if I should listen to you or not.:rolleyes:

Don’t listen to me, ask every SWAT unit in the country why they primarily run carbines.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly WHAT data does a time provide? How fast you can do a mag dump? Buy a bump stock.

Shoot a bill drill with a rifle, shotgun, and pistol.

Compare the data.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    LOL like I said, you also apparently have no clue.
    I have admitted SEVERAL TIMES that I am no expert. I do know what it's like to be shot at, and return fire, but never in a house. I've never done room clearing in the military, and have no training, other than a few episodes of NCIS.

You first. What training to you have with AR's?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So you've got a M-4 Carbine, with a silencer, that is circa 30" OAL ?

Are you a member of a SWAT team?

Any weight you add to the muzzle end of a long gun, inhibits your ability to turn corners and aim effectively. It's called 'momentum'. I didn't have to join a SWAT team to lean physics. I graduated from Orleans Public Schools.

Wrong war buddy.

Nevermind steadying a muzzle heavy rifle from a standing and moving posture. This is the same guy struggling to return to target behind a 12ga.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    You first. What training to you have with AR's?

Enough to know that Military training is not enough. Enough to know that you should never stop receiving training. Enough to know that I’m not an expert. Enough to know that a shotgun is a poor home defense choice.

How about you, old timer?

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    Nevermind steadying a muzzle heavy rifle from a standing and moving posture. This is the same guy struggling to return to target behind a 12ga.

A short barreled suppressed AR is easier to fire multiple rounds accurately compared to a shotgun in the same time. Oh look, there’s that data again.

Rather than ask people on the internet, perhaps you can go collect your own data.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Don’t listen to me, ask every SWAT unit in the country why they primarily run carbines.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot a bill drill with a rifle, shotgun, and pistol.

Compare the data.

What, EXACTLY is this data going to tell me about winning a gunfight? Doing mag dumps does NOT win a fight. If you need ten rounds to end the threat effectively, and quickly, perhaps you should consider a shotgun with 00 buck.

I'd imagine I can put eight holes in a B-29 target at 25 yards quicker than you can with your AR. How long does it take to pull a trigger once? Less than 1.6 secs, I'd guess.

In other words:

How does this data translate to real world situations when you have to defend your home against an intruder? Educate me, don't ridicule me.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A short barreled suppressed AR is easier to fire multiple rounds accurately compared to a shotgun in the same time. Oh look, there’s that data again.

Rather than ask people on the internet, perhaps you can go collect your own data.

Does that always equate to the number of hits on the target? If so, how?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Enough to know that Military training is not enough. Enough to know that you should never stop receiving training. Enough to know that I’m not an expert. Enough to know that a shotgun is a poor home defense choice.

How about you, old timer?

Oh, I'm just an old gimpy guy with a shotgun, trying to learn something.

I'm no pro. In fact, I generally only shoot once a week. Not like you. I don't 'practice' every day. I'm lucky to go through 15K rounds a year.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Yes you can maneuever a house with a 30 inch OAL carbine easily. If that boggles your mind, ask your local SWAT team how they do it.

Oh and if you think a CAN on the end of the gun is too heavy, take your own advice and get some strength training.

Yes, I’ve shot in confined spaces with a suppressed rifle and no ear pro.

My plan is to grab my rifle. Depending on the situation, I would either advance towards the unknown or stay put. Those situations are dependent upon where I am and who is near me. I don’t know of anyone with half a clue who is going to go clear their house if they have their loved ones with them. It’s a different story if their are children or loved ones in other parts of the house.

Your Vietnam training didn’t prepare you for that. So I guess you don’t have a clue either.
    Funny when I discussed either waiting in the cover of darkness if no need to expose myself you made a joke of it . When I mentioned the possibility of having to clear a room to get between threat and loved ones you made a joke of it . I called you out on these points and you never answered ,now you are seemingly in agreement with the very things you ridiculed . Get real ,we are discussing how to best protect you and your family not win a contest . A muzzle loader in your hand beats a wonder gun 5 ft away , a mediocre shot who has situation awareness and knows when to stay put and when to move beats a blowhard who can strike matches at 50 ft. Even if you have been involved in a home invasion and survived that doesn't mean you can tell someone what to do because the circumstances may be completely different . Saying one gun or plan is better than the other Pearson is asinine . If everyone would just post their thoughts and why they believe their plan is best for them we might learn from each other .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Just for hunting purposes bud. I’ve never advocated for any particular weapon. I’m not opposed to a shotgun but I prefer what I’m most comfortable with, the gun that I spend all day with and have shot countless rounds through, but that’s my choice. I don’t need you or anyone else to validate it. If it’s good enough to go places far risky than my house then it’s good enough for my house.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    What, EXACTLY is this data going to tell me about winning a gunfight? Doing mag dumps does NOT win a fight. If you need ten rounds to end the threat effectively, and quickly, perhaps you should consider a shotgun with 00 buck.

I'd imagine I can put eight holes in a B-29 target at 25 yards quicker than you can with your AR. How long does it take to pull a trigger once? Less than 1.6 secs, I'd guess.

In other words:

How does this data translate to real world situations when you have to defend your home against an intruder? Educate me, don't ridicule me.

I can guarantee that I can put 8 holes in a reduced A zone faster than your B-29 at 25 yards.

You don’t want to be educated. The first thing you did was fight back when I made a comment.

Does that always equate to the number of hits on the target? If so, how?

You don’t understand it, because you’ve never done it.

Oh, I'm just an old gimpy guy with a shotgun, trying to learn something.

I'm no pro. In fact, I generally only shoot once a week. Not like you. I don't 'practice' every day. I'm lucky to go through 15K rounds a year.

Cool, so we have established that your opinion and arguments here don’t have much weight behind them.

Funny when I discussed either waiting in the cover of darkness if no need to expose myself you made a joke of it . When I mentioned the possibility of having to clear a room to get between threat and loved ones you made a joke of it . I called you out on these points and you never answered ,now you are seemingly in agreement with the very things you ridiculed . Get real ,we are discussing how to best protect you and your family not win a contest . A muzzle loader in your hand beats a wonder gun 5 ft away , a mediocre shot who has situation awareness and knows when to stay put and when to move beats a blowhard who can strike matches at 50 ft. Even if you have been involved in a home invasion and survived that doesn't mean you can tell someone what to do because the circumstances may be completely different . Saying one gun or plan is better than the other Pearson is asinine . If everyone would just post their thoughts and why they believe their plan is best for them we might learn from each other .

Context is key.

For the last 15 years.

So you’ve been a weekend plinker for a 1/4 of your life. Congrats?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Talk about fantasizing. Please tell us more.

I can put ten rounds of 6.5G in a 1.5 inch group in probably 20-25 seconds at 100yrd with my 5 year old calling each shot on a live range no less, but I muffed a shot on a whitetail this year with the same gun. So play with your toys all you want I know I enjoy playing with mine.
    Wow 1.5 with a 6.5g ,I didn't know you could get one to shoot that good , maybe you hit the deer and just didn't have enough power to put it down . JUST JOKING , I'm a 6.8 man and had to poke a little bit ,you are 100% right paper ain't real shooting and you showed you are not trying to come off as a Billy Bad ass cowboy because you admitted under real stress and circumstances things can and did go wrong . I also applaud the fact you are including your youngun in your shooting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom