Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 23 1211 ... LastLast
    01001000 01101001 0011111

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Shotguns for home defense

Ok, now that I've drawn you in with the generic title and open premise, I'm going to ruin your fun by subjecting you a very limiting premise:

While most everyone "on the internet" says shotguns are hands down the best home defense weapon, how much advantage does a shotgun have over any other weapon when it comes to controlling penetration of interior walls and not hitting people you don't want to hit?

Then take this further and pretend you're arguing with a fellow about why firing a shotgun at a target they feel they can't hit with any other weapon besides a shotgun because it's "too close/dark/dynamic and they might miss".

No dragging any self respecting self defense professionals into this argument without first qualifying these premises.

After it gets hashed out or supportively referenced to death I will be presenting the entire thread to whom I argue with, regardless of whether the results support my view or not.
    Last edited by Suburbazine; February 11th, 2019 at 09:11 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you actually pattern a shotgun the answer becomes more apparent.
    Also "Box O Truth" has some test they did on penetration.
    Then there is the whole Shotgun shell out of a pistol thing.

Bottom line for me is I will do what I think is best in a given situation. If anyone thinks there are absolutes about what will, can or can't happen, there are some anomalies that do occur.

In closing, for the most part, it is pretty well done to death and I doubt any thing new will be presented. A lot of rehash is due to some are just visiting a topic for the first time. Kudos to them for thinking, researching and discussing. I am interested in seeing what you have come up with.
    Last edited by Request Dust Off; February 11th, 2019 at 09:09 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Load veriaty and patterning ability outside of twenty yards is why shotguns are good tools. So theoretically wall and door penetrations can be adjusted to your preference (either commercially or hand-loads). If you’ve ever considered turkey hunting you know the right choke can help remove a turkeys head from its body at nearly 100 yards (not likely with me as the shotgunner). Or you could take a rifled slug barrel chop it off and load it with shot to truly *spray and pray*.

Seems like a lot of effort to me when you could just learn to be proficient with a 9mm pistol inside of 20 yards. Over-penetration is over-blown. If someone you don’t want to shoot is directly behind the person you want to shoot, don’t shoot.

Mary's gone Cedric's next

User Info Menu

I'll preface my answer with this:
    I rely on a Rem Tac 14 for home defense. It is loaded with one Rem Managed Recoil OO buck in the chamber, and seven Aguila Mini shells (mixed buck shot) in the tube.

First let's address 'not penetrating drywall'. Anything that won't go through both sides of an interior wall is useless for self defense, in my opinion. If you are relying on bird shot for self defense, you are fooling yourself. All of the ammunition loaded in my firearm will penetrate several interior walls.

Shot pattern. I'm not sure what kind of mansions some people live in, but in my 2K ft/sq ranch style home, a long shot would be down the hallway. About twenty-five feet, at most. At that distance the pattern of OO buck is going to be about the size of a golf ball. Without aiming, you most certainly CAN miss.

Now: Why I choose a shotgun for home defense.

Eight .33 caliber projectiles traveling at 1200 feet/second will make a mess that will require Clean Scene to clean up. When the object is to stop the threat, the more of the bad guy's insides that I splatter on the walls, the quicker I'll convince him to quit the fight.

Plain and simple. Nothing tops a shotgun for home defense, IMHO, but not for the reasons most people espouse.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman

User Info Menu

BPI makes a 'spreader wad' which the internal is shaped like a +, making 4 separate colums of shot, i've got some on order, and will see how the perform. Oh, sh#t, I forgot about that Masad Aybob thing about reloaded ammo, guess i'll use them to shoot armadillos

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    BPI makes a 'spreader wad' which the internal is shaped like a +, making 4 separate colums of shot, i've got some on order, and will see how the perform. Oh, sh#t, I forgot about that Masad Aybob thing about reloaded ammo, guess i'll use them to shoot armadillos
    He doesn’t like long guns either because you may need to carry your kid or dog while engaging an intruder one handed. I don’t know about you guys but drawing fire while carrying around a loved one sounds dumb.

Marksman

User Info Menu

A 90 pound guided missile with huge teeth and a hunger for tearing up intruders. That should keep the bad guy busy while you stand in front of the open safe and ponder that age old question. Hmmm...eenie meenie miney....
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrummer View Post
    A 90 pound guided missile with huge teeth and a hunger for tearing up intruders. That should keep the bad guy busy while you stand in front of the open safe and ponder that age old question. Hmmm...eenie meenie miney....
    The guidence chip on mine is malfunctioning. It just circles and wags at the intended target.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Listen to Uncle Joe it is all ya need just a few blast off the balcony will scare them. Off.
    Just may be El President in 2020
    Last edited by 340six; February 11th, 2019 at 03:04 PM.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I have a gun free zone sign out front so the bad guys know to leave the guns in the car when they break in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    He doesn’t like long guns either because you may need to carry your kid or dog while engaging an intruder one handed. I don’t know about you guys but drawing fire while carrying around a loved one sounds dumb.
    As far as I know, I don't have kids of my own. So I should be good with a long gun.