Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 233
  1. #221
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I've got a Stoger 20 ga. coach gun as one of my 'home defense shotguns' , good gun but excessively heavy, it even has ported barrels. I used the other 'home defense shotgun' to defend my yard from a 3 1/2' cottonmouth this afternoon, birdshot cut him into 3 pieces

  2. #222
    Marksman

    Gold Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Yeah, Iím a sucker. Just ordered the .410 too so I can ditch my snake charmer maybe..

    Best side by side Iíve found for the money is Stoeger. Iím sure theyíre more now but my coach gun is an awesome piece that cost less than $300 OTD new. Iím told most of the Turkish guns are a great value as well.
    Stoeger was so good at copying Benelli shotguns Benelli bought them out!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

    Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

  3. #223
    Donít troll me bro!

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Stoeger was so good at copying Benelli shotguns Benelli bought them out!
    Come on. I didn’t know that. Or that either. Dang. Cool!
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

  4. #224
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Yes they did

  5. #225
    Not Banned!!!

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
    Ok, now that I've drawn you in with the generic title and open premise, I'm going to ruin your fun by subjecting you a very limiting premise:

    While most everyone "on the internet" says shotguns are hands down the best home defense weapon, how much advantage does a shotgun have over any other weapon when it comes to controlling penetration of interior walls and not hitting people you don't want to hit?

    Then take this further and pretend you're arguing with a fellow about why firing a shotgun at a target they feel they can't hit with any other weapon besides a shotgun because it's "too close/dark/dynamic and they might miss".

    No dragging any self respecting self defense professionals into this argument without first qualifying these premises.

    After it gets hashed out or supportively referenced to death I will be presenting the entire thread to whom I argue with, regardless of whether the results support my view or not.

    You quickly end any pros of running a shotgun as a home defense weapon by asking the operator to hold the gun at ready and then open a door, especially a door that swings towards the operator.... Or run a pump shotgun single handed. Or run a handheld light and the shotgun at the same time. Or about a dozen other things.

    And racking the shotgun to "scare off the intruder" is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I don't want the "intruder" to hear me, at all.
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

  6. #226
    -Global Mod-

    User Info Menu

    Buy a Shotgun ....................Jill if there was ever a problem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZ7zXLvOkY

  7. #227
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    as a retired L.E.O., there are a few holes in your argument about the shotgun and it's effectiveness for home defense.

    1) most in home intrusions are not multiple person assaults. they are individual occurrences, which do not involve a tactical team stacking out front of the location and executing a dynamic entry. if one person is hit, usually the reaction will be to withdraw... (police will pull back and set a perimeter) shotgun worked.

    2) a shotgun is commonly used because of multiple projectiles providing multiple hits on a target, causing massive traumatic effect, and a relative safety of not over penetrating interior walls. #4 buckshot is good for that, 27 pellets and after penetrating double sheets of drywall it loses it's inertia quickly dramatically reducing lethality to unintended targets.

    3) as you mentioned, clearing jams and reloads... pistol, AR, shotgun.... ALL WILL BE DIFFICULT UNDER STRESS. the only cure is to train with your weapon of choice. no one is going to be john wick without training. so reloads, clearing jams and stress fire situations need practice to overcome.

    4) most defensive situations are diffused with the presentation of a firearm. the cycling of a slide action shotgun is one of the most distinctive sounds and will usually suffice to make a home intruder rethink his options, but also the cycling of the slide of a pistol, or slamming home of the bolt of an AR will also get your point across.

    in summation, nothing is going to be the perfect weapon for home defense. training and awareness will go a long way if the feces hits the rotary air circulation device.

  8. #228
    ESSAYONS

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
    4) most defensive situations are diffused with the presentation of a firearm. the cycling of a slide action shotgun is one of the most distinctive sounds and will usually suffice to make a home intruder rethink his options, but also the cycling of the slide of a pistol, or slamming home of the bolt of an AR will also get your point across.
    Yes, the sound from cycling the slide is a deterrent. That also means prior to cycling the slide, you had a metal bat or a metal rock. And if there comes a point when it's more tactically advantageous to not alert them, think armed intruder walking into a child's room, you may escalate the situation rather than deterring his actions. My person opinion is, regardless if you choose a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, to have the weapon in a condition that is ready to fire. For me, the potential advantages of an unloaded weapon are outweighed by the potential disadvantages.

  9. #229
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    That was a long read, but wow...

    This place hasn’t changed much.

  10. #230
    La. CHP Instructor #409

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    Yes, the sound from cycling the slide is a deterrent. That also means prior to cycling the slide, you had a metal bat or a metal rock. And if there comes a point when it's more tactically advantageous to not alert them, think armed intruder walking into a child's room, you may escalate the situation rather than deterring his actions. My person opinion is, regardless if you choose a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, to have the weapon in a condition that is ready to fire. For me, the potential advantages of an unloaded weapon are outweighed by the potential disadvantages.
    The slide racking being a deterrent was a point made in some LEA Academies 50 years ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •