Firearms Sales Down 2 Years in a row.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Firearms Sales Down 2 Years in a row.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has released its estimates on firearm sales in 2018. While the overall numbers have fallen for the second straight year, it wasn’t as sharp a decline as it was in 2017. The NSSF bases their estimates in the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). They also adjust for lower numbers as the NICS checks aren’t used strictly for firearm sales. The non-adjusted NICS numbers can be seen here. The FBI has been tracking NICS checks since 1998 when the system was implemented.
    According to Reuters and the NSSF, firearm sales were down 6.1 percent, with about 13.1 million firearms sold in 2018. That number is still down from 2017 sales at 14 million. As some recall, 2016 saw record numbers of firearms sold at 15.7 million. Between the past two years, a 16.5 percent drop in sales is noticeable, however, even with the continued drop, 2018 still claimed the third highest year for firearms sales. It should also be noted that these estimates only account for firearms sold from, or through (some states require NICS checks even for private sales) a licensed firearm dealer. The number of private sales on the used market are impossible to estimate in states that don’t require background checks on private sales.

DBW03

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Kenner
    It’s sad, but most firearms sales come from people who don’t actually care to use or train with them.

I had plenty fuddy friends that only own *hunting guns* go out an buy AR’s when they though Obama was going to take them away forever. Now they just collect dust.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It’s sad, but most firearms sales come from people who don’t actually care to use or train with them.

I had plenty fuddy friends that only own *hunting guns* go out an buy AR’s when they though Obama was going to take them away forever. Now they just collect dust.

I believe you have presented evidence that points to the type of friends you have rather than evidence of the national trend. But you are welcome to provide any other source for your claim that most sales come from people who don't actually care to use them or train with them. I would certainly be interested in reading that report/article.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I believe you have presented evidence that points to the type of friends you have rather than evidence of the national trend. But you are welcome to provide any other source for your claim that most sales come from people who don't actually care to use them or train with them. I would certainly be interested in reading that report/article.

Its very obvious most gun owners don't do much with their firearms, and most of the ones that do, sit in a chair for an hour or two just before hunting seasons.

Anyone can write an article or piece together a report. If it hasn't been studied or reported on, I guess it cant be true?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Its very obvious most gun owners don't do much with their firearms, and most of the ones that do, sit in a chair for an hour or two just before hunting seasons.

Anyone can write an article or piece together a report. If it hasn't been studied or reported on, I guess it cant be true?

That conclusion comes from you, not from my reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Conclusion? That's a question mark at the end...

Ok...because you posted a question unrelated to my reply, it would be reasonable to say you do guess that it can't be true if it hasn't been studied or reported on.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Sales are significantly down since the last Presidential election.

Eagerly looking forward to the next election cycle.

I really don't care if the public uses their firearms, or not. I just need them to continue to purchase them.

Of course, it helps to sell ammo too. :D

We've adapted to the slump by developing a good sale model on Gunbroker, where the audience is much larger. Gunsmithing also is a great revenue source for us.

Thankfully, we've been blessed with a loyal clientele base that likes nice things.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's pretty clear that the "Trump Slump" is a real phenomenon. Notwithstanding my distrust that anyone from New York City will "protect" my gun rights, I do understand that the gun buying frenzy has tapered off. And I will note that we've lost more of our gun rights under Trump than we ever did under Obama.

That said, the Democratic party has already introduced gun control legislation ... that will die in the senate, almost certainly, but that will also give the NRA plenty of fodder to fan the flames with. I predict that we'll see the market shift from a "buyer's market" to a "seller's market" in the next 12 to 18 months.

One of my pet peeves is that people buy a gun out of fear, don't train with it, leave it in a drawer somewhere, and then their stupid kid comes along and finds it and does something stupid with it. I will never support mandatory training requirements for purchase and possession of a gun (I see these as a form of poll tax), but I also think that these people do us more of a disservice, even if they are contributing to gun sales overall.

Mike

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If anything sales should be up. This administration will do more to damage your gun rights than the last two administrations combined between red flag and forcing the Feds to change classification to meet the demands of gun grabbers. I feel more at risk than anytime in the past. This new Wall compromise will probably have gun legislation in it.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If anything sales should be up. This administration will do more to damage your gun rights than the last two administrations combined between red flag and forcing the Feds to change classification to meet the demands of gun grabbers. I feel more at risk than anytime in the past. This new Wall compromise will probably have gun legislation in it.

You really need to stop recklessly stating the truth. :squint:

Next thing you're going to tell us is that the NRA supports gun control.

Join the GOA. I did. You should too, if you care about your rights.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I lost all my guns in a horrible boating accident. The gubment and the cops will provide everything in need to live. I’m going green all the way.

Top Bottom