30-06 Medium-long range hunter bolt gun build purchase ideas ramblings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I’ll float this out there. I was in a similar boat 2 years ago. I ended up with a custom 30-06 with the Serengeti chamber. And since im back to strictly bow hunting, I just don’t have use for it any longer. Details of the build below.

Xtreme Titanium Long Action
    Proof Research Sendero Barrel finished just over 25* and threaded 5/8x24.
    TBAC CB nuzzle brake installed currently
    McMillan Game Hunter stock
    Timney calvin elite trigger
    PTG BDL bottom metal

The whole gun with the current Leupold VX6 HD scope weighs in just shy of 10#. Aside from range use working up a load, the gun was carried over 60 miles through the desert mountains/hills of central Oregon on an elk hunt. Unfortunately, the elk were scarce...

I worked up a load with 200 grade ELD-X’s acheiving about 2750 FPS and getting 3.5* groups at 500 yards. I can keep them about .3 MOA inside of 300 yards. The disparity at 500 is simply my shooting ability. Still minute of elk heart though.

This would be on the high end side of custom builds, but it shoots like a custom should. If you are interested PM or email me and we can speak at greater length about the rifle.

Sounds awesome!:cool:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Roger that...I missed the part about LH, and I don't believe the Rem 700 Long Range comes in LH.

I just emailed remington yesterday the only left handed 700 they offer is the SPS. I might just build one using a 700 action, rem/age barrel and nut, and a Boyd’s stock. It won’t be a comp gun but I’m sure I could build it to hold 1/2 moa.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    not sure what your budget is but you can get a LH Sako 85 hunter for about $2000 (JRS1a20L). My dad had a sako 85 that was MOA all day with factory ammo. If you went that route it will save you a lot of $$ and get you a very good rifle but it wont be the same as a gun that was built by a good builder to your specs

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok Couple things guys:

MOA from a bolt in this day in age is a benchmark. The cheapest guns on the market guarantee it with premium factory ammo.

With the use of prefit barrels and barrel nuts, the average doofus like myself can assemble several types of action with basic mechanical skills and a few tools. So from what I’ve read building a reasonably nice gun under $1500 isn’t a punch line. Will it shot 1/10th MOA? Probably not but with a decent barrel 1/2 sounds pretty promising.

Weight isn’t a non-issue but I don’t think a light weight, large caliber (shooting 190-210 grain pills), gun that is a joy to shoot exists. So, I am willing to pay the piper with a couple extra pounds and inches. I’m not humping a 30inch barreled bench rifle up a mountain but a 10-11lb gun shouldn’t end a trip early either. If it does I could shed a few lbs myself.

Fellas what am I missing? Am I just out in left field? If so, please help me understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom