Your Self Defense Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    With so much variety of ammo available today it's not like the old days where you had only a handful of choices for your self defense weapon. You basically had lead bullets either in round nose or wadcutter, solid lead tipped jacketed bullets, full metal jacket and then hollow points. Then there's the bullet weight thing to consider. Nowadays there's an endless supply and design of bullets/ammo.
    So what do you use for self defense ammo be it at home, in your car or on your person? Do you have specific purpose ammo? Like for shooting through walls, doors or windshields. Is your favorite because of cost or damage produced/inflicted, or maybe availability?
    Do you care if it's specific purpose ammo or do simply use "surplus" ammo and it's just something that will defend you or kill your target?
    Does it matter at all or are they all just projectiles to you?

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    I usually carry one loaded magazine of top of the line ammo in my handgun and or rifle (i.e., Hornady Defense/Duty). Spare mags contain good hollow point ammo (i.e., Remington, Winchester, etc.). When I was with the Sheriff's office my carry ammo usually was the same. My thoughts were always the first few shots are the ones that matter most and if you change out ammo on a regular/scheduled basis, this is a big cost factor. It was recommended by the department that we change ammo every 6 months (of course at our cost).

I'm sure a lot of members do not agree with this system, but it has worked fine for me. As for changing to fresh ammo every 6 months, I do not do that either. After about a year or so I will use my carry ammo for practice and have never had any failures. I'm sure there are better ways, but at 70 years old, I see no reason the change now

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Should be able to seat a .357 blank in the slug. I think now you are on to something. Please post a video. ��

Well with a little searchfoo I found this,Someone has beat us to the ideal......Still think it would make a spiffy home defense rd, With flash!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lpx_CQ6kwo

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Thinking about drilling out my HP's and hot gluing in a 22 blank in the center,Should explode when the bullet hits the bone?

hahaha

You laugh but.......
    I seem to remember like 35 years ago there were exploding tip bullets. Pretty sure they were .357. I think F&B on Clearview sold them. They were basically hollowpoints filled with something and colored red.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You laugh but.......
    I seem to remember like 35 years ago there were exploding tip bullets. Pretty sure they were .357. I think F&B on Clearview sold them. They were basically hollowpoints filled with something and colored red.

I've heard about hollowpoints drilled out a bit and filled with mercury then sealed across the end,Supposedly an old gangster trick.

Pretty sure that won't pass muster today, Never heard of the exploding 357's I'm sure someone will dig them up!

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    http://www.hitechammotogo.com/html/devastator_ammunition.html

Been around since Reagan was shot, . . . , at least.
    Before Reagan was shot we had 44 mag ammo that had a powder in the hollow point cavity and a primer on top . They were devastating rounds , we put a sick bull down with one shot to the head and the damage was 4 times as much as a regular hollow point . Our factory rounds were in super vel cases . We made our own with hollow points and mag rifle primers . The 22 " exploders Reagan was shot with were notorious for not exploding but their use resulted in them being outlawed . I know someone who found one in an old box of miscellaneous rounds last year and quickly got rid of it . If I recall it was safely disposed of by shooting it into a 1 x 12 in front of a 2 1/2 gallon jug of water. Over 30 years in a box laying around in a metal building and fired just as if it was new is what I heard.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Before Reagan was shot we had 44 mag ammo that had a powder in the hollow point cavity and a primer on top . They were devastating rounds , we put a sick bull down with one shot to the head and the damage was 4 times as much as a regular hollow point . Our factory rounds were in super vel cases . We made our own with hollow points and mag rifle primers . The 22 " exploders Reagan was shot with were notorious for not exploding but their use resulted in them being outlawed . I know someone who found one in an old box of miscellaneous rounds last year and quickly got rid of it . If I recall it was safely disposed of by shooting it into a 1 x 12 in front of a 2 1/2 gallon jug of water. Over 30 years in a box laying around in a metal building and fired just as if it was new is what I heard.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Butchers used to put livestock down with a shot to the head with a .22 and it worked very well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom