ZTR Crapped Out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Went to cut the weeds this past weekend and my 2001 Dixon ZTR crapped out. Looks like the hydraulic drives are shot. New drives are about $1,000 each (2 needed). Figure it's time to replace with a new one. Anyone with a ZTR have any opinions on what to get? Need a 60 inch deck.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Went to cut the weeds this past weekend and my 2001 Dixon ZTR crapped out. Looks like the hydraulic drives are shot. New drives are about $1,000 each (2 needed). Figure it's time to replace with a new one. Anyone with a ZTR have any opinions on what to get? Need a 60 inch deck.

One huge factor in these staying alive is keeping hydraulic fluids clean, changed and air free.. maybe able to get them rebuilt cheaper if the rest of it are decent condition

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    whats your budget? What brand dealers are around you? If youre not afraid of used, you could most definitely find a gently used commercial or semi-pro unit for thousands less than new.

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Check our the bad boy mowers. I’ve had good luck with my 60*. I’ve cut about 3 acres with it the last 3 years.

When you get into the 5k plus range they’ll have servicable trans and most are manufactured by the same company. Or at least they were when I was looking. It would boil down to what motor you like and color machine you want.

If you decide on BB give these guys a call for a price check. They’ll most likely save you some $$ on taxes. http://msoutdoorpower.com/mowers.htm

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Thanks. As far as budget, if I buy new, I would expect to spend somewhere between $5,000 to $10,000. I've just started looking. I'll also take a look at taking apart the hydraulics on the one that I have to see if it is possible to rebuild it.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    What dealers are around you? Ive run them all. You want to look at any thing with at least zt-3100 hydros, I would not purchase anything less especially if you're going to be cutting some property with it. If you tend to cut a lot of weeds and/or if the turf is damp, deck design will play a huge role. Just about anything you get today will be a step up from the dixon. How much property are you looking to cut? Regularly or semi-regularly?

Last edited:

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    I have no doubt that anything else will be better than the Dixon. I've been scraping along with it for many years keeping it going. As far as dealers, I live in Central so pretty much anything in Baton Rouge, Denham Springs or nearby would be close. Gravely and Bad Boy are definitely available. I will check Mississippi Outdoor Power to see how they compare in price with some of the shops around here.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Go check out some of the shops around you and see what they have for demo units. The more you delve into commercial machine territory you spend more for higher productivity.

How much property are you looking to cut and how often? It is turf grass, pasture, weeds? Smooth or Rough terrain?

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    We have about three acres. The yard varies from fairly smooth to moderate. The grass is fairly good around the house but gets a little rough with quite a bit of weeds toward the back. In the summer, we cut at least once a week, sometimes twice.

I will check with Central Outdoor Power, 4H Equipment and Mississippi Outdoor Power to start and see what they have. Definitely looking for something better than the Dixon this time around.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The Dixon I had years ago used a static type drive rather than hydraulics. A steel bell type clutch. Cost a mint to replace. I’ve had a 55 inch 23hp Kohler Ariens for about 8 years now and it’s never given me a bit of trouble. I thought it was the best mower for the money at $3k
    I bought the Dixon in central

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    The Dixon I had years ago used a static type drive rather than hydraulics. A steel bell type clutch. Cost a mint to replace. I’ve had a 55 inch 23hp Kohler Ariens for about 8 years now and it’s never given me a bit of trouble. I thought it was the best mower for the money at $3k
    I bought the Dixon in central

I had a toro time cutter 50 inch with the Koehler courage 21hp that was way undersized for my yard and it cut just fine for 8 plus years. The motor finally gave out after smoking for sometime. It was a bargain at $2500 back then.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I have had a Gravely for 14 years with no problems, other than self inflicted. Hit the corner of a catch basin and bent a spindle.

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    you want to get one that has 2800 series hydros, they can be rebuilt and Kawasaki engine and make sure you buy from a solid dealer that has a good service reputation. All of the machines that have 2800 hydros and Kawasaki engine will be VERY close in price, all fab decks etc., etc., so dealer rep is very important. Check out Gravely and Hustler/Big Dog

https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt-xl

https://www.hustlerturf.com/file/210b40f76b83671bc3521844d1db3af39a3737b2.pdf

https://www.bigdogmowerco.com/mowers/alpha-mp

Last edited:

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I have a 52" Hustler Raptor HD with a Kawasaki 23 hp engine.
    It has been a good mower for the last 2 years but I would not buy it again and her is why...

The 2800 series hydros share the same fluid reservoir, which is very small and i see this as a problem if one hydro lets go.
    The discharge chute is so small, when the grass is a little damp it clogs up very easy.
    The spindles are aluminum with sealed bearing, some other brands have cast iron spindles with grease able bearings.
    The deck is nice and heavy, but the paint started chipping/Flaking off almost immediately

I realize this model is a residential unit and I should have gotten a commercial unit, it would have fit my needs better.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I mow about 5 acres every weekend during summer and can't be happier with my Bad Boy mower. I will have to look for the model # but it is an outlaw with the 60" deck and it had the upgraded hydros not sure the model # on them but they do have spearate resevoirs and they have a little fan on each motor to cool it during use. The onyl issue so far is that the digital motor time got water in it and it is only displaying some of the numbers but I get it serviced every off season so not really worried about that issue. One thing I do is use non-ethanol gas in it as I don't like what the ethanol does to engines especially something that sits for months.

If I happen to forget to mow every week and the weed/grass gets high this thing will chew through it like nothing. Also, the Bad Boy blades seem to stay sharp longer than the old Sears ZTR I had but that thing was old and it could be just better metallurgy nowadays so any good ZTR blades could be the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom