ZTR Crapped Out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I just spent weeks looking at mowers last year after my 14 yr old flooded gravely finally lost a hydro. I went to multiple shops and sat on, test drove even cut some grass on a few. At the end of the day i ended up with a gravely pro turn 252 with the 29hp furl injected kohler and couldnt be happier. I was cutting 5.5 acres with it but sold 2 and am now only cutting 3.5. Best investment ive made in a mower. Comparable hustler was the x one, it was nice but slightly more $ and the cut didnt seem quite as pretty. Comparable scag was having drive belt issues. Also i had multiple dealers i spoke to that wouldnt even carry the new kawasakis seems they were haveing quite a bit of issues with them burning up do to oil flow issues or something like that. I just traded my old gravely off for some decorative metal work and the old kohler on it fired right up still after 14 years of work and several days of being under water.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Zt2800s are consumer hydros and only a mild bump up from the non servicable ezt transaxles. Zt3100s are the entry level commercial units, more cooling, larger gears, higher torque load capability. Zt3400, zt5400, etc...

Badboy outlaw would be the only model from them I would consider. Hustler commercial units are good, but their deck designs leave a lot to be desired when cutting anything but dry managed turf. Deer 7iron and Scag velocity plus decks are pretty equal down here cutting wet grass and weeds, they rock and roll. Commercial Kubota, commercial husqvarana, snapper pro/ferris icd decks, exmark ultracuts, gravely xfactor 2s are a close second. Toro turbo force decks suck in wet grass and weeds.

Get and efi engine if it's in the budget. Kohler's tend to be overrated on power numbers, but their commercial engines are good to go. Avoid anything with a Kawasaki fx730. All of the Briggs engines are good to go, including the entry level commercial units, but you won't find efi on any of these. The vanguards are beasts. I dont have any direct experience with the new yamahas.

Sit on a few. Don't skimp on the seat and or suspension platform. Get one that is comfortable for you.

Last edited:

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Hi. This may not be your problem, but.... I have a 10 year old John Deere ZTR that was was starting to lose power several years ago and was slowing down. In fact, it would hardly back up and if I was moving forward slowly and pushed the levers forward, the mower just slowed down. I adjusted the lever, checked hydraulic oil levels, and the relief screws. Nothing seemed to really help. Like you, I was considered new a new mower, or hydraulic motors and pump. I do not recall what prompted me to change the pump drive belt, but I did and that resolved the problem completely. The belt was not squealing or smoking, but it was slipping.

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck,

GCAB985

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Thanks for all the feedback. First step looks like a better job of taking a look at what I have this weekend. If I can't get it working for a reasonable amount, I'll start testing some of the units everybody has recommended.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I have a 14 (?) year old Scag 61* Wildcat with a Koehler 27 and very pleased. I have about 1350 hours, cutting 5+ acres every weekend in summer and pulling a sweeper to pick up leaves in Fall/Winter. I’ve had a few issues, but it’s never been to the shop for repairs.
    You can never go wrong with commercial rated equipment.
    Buy once, cry once.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I bought a Gravely last spring. 60" cut. ZTXL60. $4400. Wish I had bought it sooner.

I had an Ariens Zoom for over 9 years with no issues other than regular maintenance run-ins. Sold it recently on here, and the guy that bought it says it is working like a champ! He told me he spent less than $100 to get it up to top form (which is what I expected). That said, I was going to get another Ariens. But, I wanted to buy it from a local shop/business. I went to a place in BR and all they had was Gravely. Gravely makes Ariens! Slam dunk!

It is supposed to be delivered Friday!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom