Need a machinist in the BR area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a 1 foot length of mild steel pipe that has a outside diameter of 1 1/8 inches. The wall thickness is approx 3/32 of an inch. I need to have the wall thickness reduced to approximately 1/16 of an inch. I need the whole length of the pipe done this way. I am making a part for my Jeep and saw someone do it on you tube but he was a machinist. I can bring the pipe and leave it, as I’m not in a rush or I can set a time up with them, meet them, and stay there while they do it. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well the outside diameter has to be
    1 1/8 inches. The inside of the pipe has to be thinned to match the original pieces on the Jeep. I could put the pipe on the Jeep just like it is, but the bows or pipes that fit into the pipe would not work. While I’m going to this much time and expense I want it to be just like the original.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yes I would think steel tube would be the correct termanology. I compared the piece I have to the original on the jeep and there is very little difference. I’ll prolly just use what I have as 99% of people will not even notice it. The way that soft tops are mounted today is different from back in the day so this tubing is for looks only.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    There is a challenge to holding a workpiece that thin in a chuck and machining it without crushing it. If you can find tubing in the dimensions you need, it maybe more economical to go that route and buy a mechanical tubing. Spindle time might run around $70/hr in a job shop.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I have a 1 foot length of mild steel pipe that has a outside diameter of 1 1/8 inches. The wall thickness is approx 3/32 of an inch. I need to have the wall thickness reduced to approximately 1/16 of an inch. I need the whole length of the pipe done this way. I am making a part for my Jeep and saw someone do it on you tube but he was a machinist. I can bring the pipe and leave it, as I’m not in a rush or I can set a time up with them, meet them, and stay there while they do it. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I can handle that, pm me a phone number and we can talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom